Alternative to Windows 10 photo viewer?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Gary Barnett
Gary Barnett Contributing Member • Posts: 947
Alternative to Windows 10 photo viewer?

I found Windows 10 default Photo viewer is very slow to load and also the image I'm viewing is done being rendered, then I switch to the next photo but when I switch back and forth, it is being rendered again and again (!) which is poor as a photo comparsion tool.

Any good and fast photo viewer/comparsion out there?

Gary Barnett's gear list:Gary Barnett's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR
Hosebag
Hosebag Senior Member • Posts: 2,478
Re: Alternative to Windows 10 photo viewer?

The old photo viewer from Windows 7 is still on your machine. You just have to un-hide it, and you can even make it the default photo viewer.

Google how to do it..........

Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,924

I like the 64-bit version of IrfanView...

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +30 more
Gary Barnett
OP Gary Barnett Contributing Member • Posts: 947

Hosebag wrote:

The old photo viewer from Windows 7 is still on your machine. You just have to un-hide it, and you can even make it the default photo viewer.

Yes, I saw it but I'll hold it off until I find a good viewer.

Gary Barnett

Dr_Jon wrote:

I will consider that and what about FastStone Image Viewer?

Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,924

Gary Barnett wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

People seem to like it, but I'm wedded to Irfanview I'm afraid. Also steps through 50MP images at a decent rate (if the computer isn't doing a lot of other stuff). I also really like its Lanczos image resizer (need to choose Resampling for image sizing) plus how you set what you want to see and what to skip.

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +30 more
rb0321
rb0321 Senior Member • Posts: 2,721

Irfanview works well but I've been using FastStone for a couple years now and love it. They're both free downloads so give them both a try.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/rb00321/

rb0321's gear list:rb0321's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more
Joep van Steen
Joep van Steen Regular Member • Posts: 245

I settled for ImageGlass for the time being.

-- hide signature --

Joep

Ben Roubin Regular Member • Posts: 176

Hosebag wrote:

+1. This is the best option.

-- hide signature --

mbr

Ben Roubin's gear list:Ben Roubin's gear list
Apple iPhone 4S
WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,155

Gary Barnett wrote:

I found Windows 10 default Photo viewer is very slow to load and also the image I'm viewing is done being rendered, then I switch to the next photo but when I switch back and forth, it is being rendered again and again (!) which is poor as a photo comparsion tool.

I've been using Picasa for a lng time. Fast, and also acts as Windows default viewer if you set that up. Picasa is no longer "supported", but that is hardly necessary.

You can still find Picasa as a download, but the usual cautions apply when searching the web.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
malcolmbebb Regular Member • Posts: 187

I've been using FastStone recently, worth a try. Opens my M4/3 jpegs and raw very quickly.

-- hide signature --

Want to take snapshots? Get a nice phone. Want to do photography? Get a nice camera.

malcolmbebb's gear list:malcolmbebb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Nikon D3100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +1 more
ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,498

Gary Barnett wrote:

Are you viewing raw or jpeg? The free Nikon Viewnx-i or whatever the latest is works best for nef files. I like the aforementioned photo viewer from W7 best for jpegs. Color managed and fast rendering,

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 1,899

Gary Barnett wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

Discovering FastStone was a real bonus.  Its excellent for culling images.  Very fast, even with 30Mp raw files.

Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
SC489 Senior Member • Posts: 1,196

I find the standard Windows 10 Photos app is fine unless you need fancy features

SC489's gear list:SC489's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
DonA2
DonA2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,600

WryCuda wrote:

Gary Barnett wrote:

I've been using Picasa for a lng time. Fast, and also acts as Windows default viewer if you set that up. Picasa is no longer "supported", but that is hardly necessary.

You can still find Picasa as a download, but the usual cautions apply when searching the web.

Been using Picasa since 2005 and never a problem.  It's considered to be much too basic but I find it does everything very well and user friendly.  I do have FastStone as a secondary but rarely need it.  All Picasa edits go to FastStone and Windows Pictures with a click of  the "save" icon.  I ditched W-10 Photos but hey, that's just me and I have been proven wrong, once.  

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 10,838
FastStone Image Viewer & IrfanView

I use both, but prefer FastStone, it's set as my default viewer.

Cheers,
Doug

JahnG
JahnG Senior Member • Posts: 2,756

Hosebag wrote:

What happens to a possibly un-hid windows photo viewer in win 10, when a major update occures, like from version 1903 to 1909 (or some coming version like ie 2003....).

I'm still using W7, and the old photo viewer is important for me. I have understood that drivers/programs that no longer (by MS) are intended to be used in Win10 , might very well be removed / changed during major W10 updates?

As I'm using computers as tools, and not as a hobby to continuously work on / or update, I'm not keen on every half a year start tweaking my computers.

Anybody here, who has experience of "tweaking" the "photo viewer" to work in the first Win 10 versions a couple of years ago, and which program would still work in current W10, without any "tweaking"? Or did major updates force you to redo the "tweaking of "photo viewer"?

JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r Pentax K-S1
MikeDPR Regular Member • Posts: 235

Another vote for FastStone.

One downside with FastStone is you can't sort images in a folder in the "date taken" order. I ended up adopting a new workflow where all my photos are renamed to timestamp (e.g. 20191124_120102.jpg) so sorting by filename is equivalent to sort by date-taken. I'm happy I did this because there are other times where this comes in handy like DLNA server that don't support the date-taken metadata.

MikeDPR's gear list:MikeDPR's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +2 more
Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 1,899
 Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Gary Barnett

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have just tried both and quickly settled for Faststone viewer for two reasons - it has a folder list that I can browse through and the ability to zoom to 100% with a mouse click, very fast indeed so I'm happy.

I have tried 'Reset' and 'Repair' Windows Photo app but it still doesn't fix the slow rendering of images, pretty useless when you want to flick through the photos quickly whilst viewing them. Still feels very bloated.

I still use Nikon View & Capture for use with RAW images and post-processing. However, I have just checked and to my surprise, Faststone can view NEF images instantly!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads