Luminar 4: Add Your Own Sky to the Sky Replacement Drop Down Menu

Started Nov 20, 2019 | Discussions
R_U_Q_R_U
R_U_Q_R_U Senior Member • Posts: 1,359
Luminar 4: Add Your Own Sky to the Sky Replacement Drop Down Menu

The sky files in Luminar 4 Sky Replacement drop down menu are just JPG files. You can add or remove them.

NOTE: Backup this folder after you add/remove files since it seems Luminar reverts to stock after an update.

On a Mac:

Luminar 4 Add Your Own Sky to the Drop Down Menu

Open Finder

1. Double click on Applications folder

2. Right Click on Luminar 4 Application Icon

3. Select Show Package Contents from drop down menu

4. Double click on Contents folder

5. Double click on Frameworks folder

6. Double click on MPLuminar4Resources.framework folder

7. Double Click on Resources folder

8. Double click on SkyTextures Folder

Copy your new sky images into this folder. Skylum needs to make this a menu item so people are not all using the same sky. I have already seen some on Facebook and elsewhere. This could be very embarrassing to have the same sky as the next photographer all the time!

Here is the path:

/Applications/Luminar 4.app/Contents/Frameworks/MPLuminar4Resources.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SkyTextures

-- hide signature --

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me,
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been.

R_U_Q_R_U's gear list:R_U_Q_R_U's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +10 more
nor70 Regular Member • Posts: 271
Re: Luminar 4: Add Your Own Sky to the Sky Replacement Drop Down Menu

For those on a PC wishing to follow this advice, the Sky Textures are easily found by following this chain:

Open folders

This/My PC >

Local Disc (normally) ā€œCā€ >

Program Files (not Program Files x86) >

Skylum Folder >

Luminar 4 Folder >

Profiles >

Sky Textures Folder {contains the sky images)

RussC
RussC Regular Member • Posts: 346

R_U_Q_R_U wrote:

The sky files in Luminar 4 Sky Replacement drop down menu are just JPG files. You can add or remove them.

NOTE: Backup this folder after you add/remove files since it seems Luminar reverts to stock after an update.

On a Mac:

Luminar 4 Add Your Own Sky to the Drop Down Menu

Open Finder

1. Double click on Applications folder

2. Right Click on Luminar 4 Application Icon

3. Select Show Package Contents from drop down menu

4. Double click on Contents folder

5. Double click on Frameworks folder

6. Double click on MPLuminar4Resources.framework folder

7. Double Click on Resources folder

8. Double click on SkyTextures Folder

Copy your new sky images into this folder. Skylum needs to make this a menu item so people are not all using the same sky. I have already seen some on Facebook and elsewhere. This could be very embarrassing to have the same sky as the next photographer all the time!

Here is the path:

/Applications/Luminar 4.app/Contents/Frameworks/MPLuminar4Resources.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SkyTextures

This is interesting. Thanks for explaining the process so clearly. Of course, we do have the option to use a custom sky already in L4. In the replace sky dropdown menu at the bottom is the option to load a custom sky. Just needs to be set up so L4 can find wherever you stored those skies. Having them already in the dropdown menu is a good option. It would be nice if there was also a preview function when scrolling through the different skies. I find it beneficial to be able to at least see an icon size preview of my desktop stored file of skies.

RussC

RussC's gear list:RussC's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic FZ1000 +2 more
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,680

. . . or, if you are using Photoshop, simply open the file in PS and click in Luminar as found in your filter folder.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Sony RX100 VII Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +33 more

Strangely, Luminar 4 does not show up in my Filters Folder (CS6); although it is available in Lightroom and yes, I did add the plug in from Luminar

lacogada Contributing Member • Posts: 881

RussC wrote:

It would be nice if there was also a preview function when scrolling through the different skies. I find it beneficial to be able to at least see an icon size preview of my desktop stored file of skies.

Yes it would, and it's a good suggestion to send to Skylum.

Until ... could use an image viewer like Faststone to browse before selecting. You can have it always open a specific folder which would be quick.

Steve Bingham

Yes, I don't see a plug-in for Luminar. Only modern PS and LR. Have you tried? Sometimes these plug-ins can be moved around . . . . and sometimes  not.Maybe copy the plug-in from LR and dump it into your CS 6 folder? Let us know.

Steve Bingham

Nikon Coolpix 990 Sony RX100 VII Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +33 more
R_U_Q_R_U
OP R_U_Q_R_U Senior Member • Posts: 1,359

It would also be nice if Skylum made the process of storing new skies part of the menu system. I suspect that after a short time people will tire of using the one's supplied by them in the drop down menu and would want to permanently replace. them.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +10 more

Hi Steve, thanks for the interest

Just finished rummaging in the Lightroom programme folders, but unable to find any sign of Luminar 4 there, so I’ll check the Adobe roaming files later today

lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

R_U_Q_R_U wrote:

It would also be nice if Skylum made the process of storing new skies part of the menu system. I suspect that after a short time people will tire of using the one's supplied by them in the drop down menu and would want to permanently replace. them.

True and good point, but that would only be a convenience issue.  Adding skies to the L4 folder is a snap.  You can also delete or rename L4's default sky images, by the way.  I just did this since I didn't like Skylum's naming scheme all that much plus found I'll never use some of what they offered.

lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z7 II OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +34 more
Steve Bingham

I have all my cloud photos in a folder called Clouds. Easy enough to add them. As a PS plug-in I simply add them . . . and wait for them to load. This usually takes awhile - sometimes a minute or more on huge tiffs. And yes, it will easily take jpgs or tiffs.

lokatz wrote:

R_U_Q_R_U wrote:

True and good point, but that would only be a convenience issue. Adding skies to the L4 folder is a snap. You can also delete or rename L4's default sky images, by the way. I just did this since I didn't like Skylum's naming scheme all that much plus found I'll never use some of what they offered.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham

nor70 wrote:

Hi Steve, thanks for the interest

Just finished rummaging in the Lightroom programme folders, but unable to find any sign of Luminar 4 there, so I’ll check the Adobe roaming files later today

Try filters. It is located it the PS Filters so I assume it might be in LR.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

To continue: found a connection with Luminar 4 within Lightroom’s folders and copied it across to Photoshop, unfortunately it achieved nothing

Raised the problem with Skylum and will continue to seek a solution myself

When/should a remedy turn up, I will let you know

Best regards

maiaibing Veteran Member • Posts: 5,139

nor70 wrote:

For those on a PC wishing to follow this advice, the Sky Textures are easily found by following this chain:

Open folders

This/My PC >

Local Disc (normally) ā€œCā€ >

Program Files (not Program Files x86) >

Skylum Folder >

Luminar 4 Folder >

Profiles >

Sky Textures Folder {contains the sky images)

Thanks. Just want to add you need administrator rights to do the copy.

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
maiaibing Veteran Member • Posts: 5,139

R_U_Q_R_U wrote:

This is a real limitation in the software. I have 224 original skies uploaded already - but even that will very quickly be repetitive if I start plastering new skies everywhere (which I won't).

Next step should surely be an AI artificial sky randomiser function - creating unique skies for every scene.

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
R_U_Q_R_U

lokatz wrote:

R_U_Q_R_U wrote:

True and good point, but that would only be a convenience issue. Adding skies to the L4 folder is a snap. You can also delete or rename L4's default sky images, by the way. I just did this since I didn't like Skylum's naming scheme all that much plus found I'll never use some of what they offered.

Each time Skylum issues an update the sky folder reverts to factory. They should implement a "user folder" that remains static after an update. I have already had one update and the folder was returned to factory settings.

-- hide signature --

djezraj Contributing Member • Posts: 755

Thanks for this! Not only can I add my own skies, but just this morning I was looking in the contents to see if I could find the default LUT's and sure enough they are behind the same directory!

Based on the same "show package contents" method I was able to extract the LUT's from the Fujifilm film simulations look files. This way I can apply them separately as a LUT to any photo that I have already applied edits to.

Cheers!

Roger

djezraj's gear list:djezraj's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Steve Bingham

Good to know, but I almost never use LUTS. I enjoy the creative aspect too much, I guess.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

BG454 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,344

What would be really useful would be to have a preview of the sky image, rather than just having a list of filenames to choose from.
How many people can remember what "My_Sky_27" looks like?

BG454's gear list:BG454's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II +17 more
R_U_Q_R_U

MisterBG wrote:

What would be really useful would be to have a preview of the sky image, rather than just having a list of filenames to choose from.
How many people can remember what "My_Sky_27" looks like?

Go here to make a feature request: Skylum Community

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads