M6 - how it is working in low temp(like -20C and below)?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
sosh
sosh Regular Member • Posts: 153
M6 - how it is working in low temp(like -20C and below)?

Question is how M6 working in low temp(like -20C and below) in real life? Going to get that experience just after 3 Jan 2020. Guess it will be just nice except shorter battery life, but asking users - something can be challenging. I remember funny moment in that place when my iPhone 5 claimed about to be too hot and shutted down when in reality it was -40C LOL

sosh's gear list:sosh's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +4 more
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Microprism Contributing Member • Posts: 632
Re: M6 - how it is working in low temp(like -20C and below)?

sosh wrote:

Question is how M6 working in low temp(like -20C and below) in real life? Going to get that experience just after 3 Jan 2020. Guess it will be just nice except shorter battery life, but asking users - something can be challenging. I remember funny moment in that place when my iPhone 5 claimed about to be too hot and shutted down when in reality it was -40C LOL

I have used a M6 in these conditions and it worked just fine, better than I did. The only real negative is that some buttons and dials are too small to adjust while wearing gloves. Also, the camera does not like to get wet, so be careful of that, too, as you go from indoors to outdoors.

Microprism's gear list:Microprism's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +20 more
M Stewart Contributing Member • Posts: 738

Try not to allow your camera to endure a "cold soak" where the internal temperature of the camera goes below 0C.

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +15 more
Noogy
Noogy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,107

sosh wrote:

Both M5 and M6 in the past went with me to China on a dry winter, temp ranged from - 18C to -3C. It was uneventful for the camera. However I had to shoot at higher shutter speeds to avoid shake because my hands were shaking big time 🤣

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +10 more
Asla
Asla Contributing Member • Posts: 519

Microprism wrote:

sosh wrote:

I have used a M6 in these conditions and it worked just fine, better than I did. The only real negative is that some buttons and dials are too small to adjust while wearing gloves. Also, the camera does not like to get wet, so be careful of that, too, as you go from indoors to outdoors.

HI!

Actually you have to be more careful and patient when coming from out to indoors. Be sure to keep your cold camera and lenses in shut camerabag somewhile, half an hour for example. If you take cold camera straight out of bag, when coming in, mosture condensades to camera and lenses. That may have some not desired results. Going from on to outside does one not to be that careful. Moisture condensates to cooler surfaces, not warmer.

What comes to M6 and freezing conditions, I have had my M6 that long, yet. However my M works just fine, up to -30 degrees. Battery draining is pretty quick thou...

A s l a

BrokenPhotography
BrokenPhotography Regular Member • Posts: 464

Operating Environment

Working Temperature Range
32-104° F / 0-40° C

Working Humidity
85% or less

photo_rb Contributing Member • Posts: 913

Can't say about M6II yet but I have extended time experience at a mountain lake at -20C with my Sony a6500 and the camera performed well but the battery life was ridiculous.  If I did this again with the M6II I would try to rig up an external battery that I could wear under my parka.

photo_rb's gear list:photo_rb's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +11 more
Anthony Milton Regular Member • Posts: 200

Best to keep it a sealed freezer bag (suck the air out) when you come in from the cold, and keep it there until it reaches room temperature. This will prevent condensation.

Anthony Milton's gear list:Anthony Milton's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Sanpete in Utah Regular Member • Posts: 264

Anthony Milton wrote:

Best to keep it a sealed freezer bag (suck the air out) when you come in from the cold, and keep it there until it reaches room temperature. This will prevent condensation.

Doesn't apply here, but the same principle applies when you go out into warm, humid weather from a cold room. It's not common, but once in a while you hear about someone's camera being bricked on vacation that way.

And most warranties don't cover that, by the way.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads