Adobe is killing the perpetual license for Photoshop CS6

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,957
Adobe is killing the perpetual license for Photoshop CS6

I had a volume license for my company that was purchased in 2017 for Photoshop CS6. We had been installing it on new computers for the past several years. Now we are being told by Adobe that the license has "expired" and is no longer valid.

I bought a used copy of CS6 from a private party who had deactivated the license for his computer. When I went to install it I got the message that the serial number was not valid. Clearly Adobe is killing off standalone licenses for CS6 to force people into paying for Cloud monthly subscriptions and renting the software.

I dearly wish that someone would start a class action lawsuit against Adobe. This company has bought up every prime competitor and then absorbed their customers who are now treated as a captive base and being compelled to rent software from Adobe.

None of our new work is being done with Adobe products but we have old work that is tied to third party applications and hate to trash all the thousands of hours of work that is contained within them.

-- hide signature --

“What was once on the extreme right is now merely conservative.. “What was once conservative is now centrist. What was centrist is now left wing. What was once on the left no longer exists.” - Cass Sunstein law professor

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D850
BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,168
Re: Adobe is killing the perpetual license for Photoshop CS6

What would the class action lawsuit say?

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
ChuckB Contributing Member • Posts: 550

calson wrote:

I had a volume license for my company that was purchased in 2017 for Photoshop CS6. We had been installing it on new computers for the past several years. Now we are being told by Adobe that the license has "expired" and is no longer valid.

Did they tell you this personally or is it an "error" message during install?

I bought a used copy of CS6 from a private party who had deactivated the license for his computer. When I went to install it I got the message that the serial number was not valid. Clearly Adobe is killing off standalone licenses for CS6 to force people into paying for Cloud monthly subscriptions and renting the software.

Again, has Adobe told you this personally? I am not carrying water for them, but when I ran into this problem some time ago it was a buggy install process and not a policy change or an expired license. A phone call (OK, a long one with lots of waiting) fixed the issue.

ChuckB's gear list:ChuckB's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Sony a77 II +7 more
Boomanbb
Boomanbb Senior Member • Posts: 2,709

You realize that no software company promises their software will stay viable once its no longer supported right?

-- hide signature --

Ben Boozer
Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +13 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,750

calson wrote:

I dearly wish that someone would start a class action lawsuit against Adobe. This company has bought up every prime competitor and then absorbed their customers who are now treated as a captive base and being compelled to rent software from Adobe.

None of our new work is being done with Adobe products but we have old work that is tied to third party applications and hate to trash all the thousands of hours of work that is contained within them.

This is a sort of related link. They aren't killing it. You can continue to use CS6 as long as the hardware/software supports it. However Adobe does not make it easy because they want you to go subscription. Kind of a low move IMO but is what it is. You either ignore that part if you like the products or move on.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63292452

Besides no one is forcing anyone into anything. There are alternatives.

-- hide signature --

I feel that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,894

calson wrote:

I bought a used copy of CS6 from a private party who had deactivated the license for his computer.

Do you know this 3rd party

Was the original purchase of a legitimate item vs a cracked version

Has this version actually been deactivated

When I went to install it I got the message that the serial number was not valid. Clearly Adobe is killing off standalone licenses for CS6 to force people into paying for Cloud monthly subscriptions and renting the software.

edispics's gear list:edispics's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Nikon D70 +25 more
JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,652

Time to upgrade to CC. You can't live in the past forever.

-- hide signature --

Save money on expensive telephoto lenses. Stand closer to the subject.

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,750

As edispics said, did you get a valid license?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/advice-needed-regarding-selling-photoshop-cs6/td-p/9345357

-- hide signature --

I feel that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 3,063

calson wrote:

Told how; be specific with screen captures...

I bought a used copy of CS6 from a private party who had deactivated the license for his computer.

Or so you were told.

When I went to install it I got the message that the serial number was not valid. Clearly Adobe is killing off standalone licenses for CS6 to force people into paying for Cloud monthly subscriptions and renting the software.

Not clear, clearly an assumption.

I dearly wish that someone would start a class action lawsuit against Adobe.

Go ahead. Find and pay for a lawyer....

This company has bought up every prime competitor and then absorbed their customers who are now treated as a captive base and being compelled to rent software from Adobe.

It's not a rent, it's a subscription.

Well, if this is an actual business, probably sound to update to a modern version of the tools necessary to get the work done.

irv00 Senior Member • Posts: 1,449

BillyBobSenna wrote:

What would the class action lawsuit say?

Exactly.

MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,868

calson wrote:

I was using a legitimately purchased copy of CS6.
It was fully licensed and activated and had actually been installed twice, due to a previous hard drive failure.
Suddenly I started getting messages that it wasn't a legitimate copy, depite having been activated twice by Adobe.

If this was Adobe's attempt to force me to sign up for CC then it failed,
I have deleted both Lightroom and Photoshop (which I used rarely anyway) in favour of the non-subscription On1 RAW2020 and Affinity Photo.

I no longer have any Adobe software installed on my computer.

MisterBG's gear list:MisterBG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,565

Adobe link for transferring a product license

Did the third Party transfer their CS6 license to you through Adobe?

PDF Form

-- hide signature --

JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Leandros S Senior Member • Posts: 2,145
That's a completely separate issue

Boomanbb wrote:

You realize that no software company promises their software will stay viable once its no longer supported right?

The issue of continued updates is completely separate from having perpetual licenses continue working.

A perpetual license taker should be able to expect the product to continue working on the original platform he bought it for, if he or she makes no changes to that platform (e.g. updates of the OS that interfere with some aspect of the software).

This is a situation where the license taker did not make any such changes to the system; rather, the software manufacturer made changes that made it impossible for the user to continue using the software as it seems was contractually agreed (worth checking for expiration clauses). This is confirmed by the fact that the software displayed a specific message indicating to the user that the manufacturer had disabled something on the manufacturer's end.

And that being the case, it would be wrong, morally and legally.

-- hide signature --

Loving aperture rings, focus throw and distance scales.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads