Is the Pentax model really important?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Hythloday Senior Member • Posts: 2,127
Is the Pentax model really important?

This year my wife and I visited the same place as 10 years ago. This year I used my K-3 and DA16-85mm lens. Ten years ago I used a K200D and DA17-70mm lens. When the K-3 is compared to the K200D, every site will say that the quality of the K-3 is far better than that of the K200D. But when I compare the two pictures of the church, the weather plays a very important role. It is not only the camera that is important, but the photographer’s eye and the weather play a far more important part. When looking back I found some pictures taken with the K200D and DA12-24mm and DA16-45mm lenses.

Pentax K200D Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 25,294
Re: Is the Pentax model really important?

K200d was the camera that dpr reviewers said was too sharp.

It always comes down to the adjustment of the nut behind the viewfinder.

Your cameras have a good one.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
Terry K1
Terry K1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,239

Absolutely beautiful! I’m getting that lens!

Terry K1's gear list:Terry K1's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax KP HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +10 more
klimbkat
klimbkat Senior Member • Posts: 2,405

While I do believe that, all other things being equal, having better gear results in better shots, like you, I have several instances of a return trip with a much better camera that did not necessarily yield better results. Nepal in 2006 with a 6 mp ist* and kit lens was often better on the same scene or subject than a 2011 trip with the K20 and 16-50. The major differences were weather and resultant light. Similarly, a 2009 trip to Peru with the K20 yielded - at times - better shots than the 2016 trip with the K1, again due to weather an light. But, in both cases, the really good shots from the later trips were WAY better than those from the earlier trip. So, I guess I've got to keep buying gear and going places . . .

Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,298

These are all beautiful pictures; thanks for sharing 😊

To some “back-yard” photographers, buying the latest camera might be everything even if they own a total of two lenses and take photos at a rate of 1000pics/year. To enthusiasts, generally, lenses are way more important than camera, and taking photos regularly is even more important than lenses 😉 To answer your query: I agree; light conditions, scene, and photographer’s eye play a stronger role in getting good images than the latest camera. The latest camera isn’t going to take photos on its own :-D.. well, at least until AI advances (and trickles down to consumer electronics) a lot more than it is right now :-). Hmmm.. just remembered, there was an attempt of this sort; its called Arsenal. See details here .

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Samsung NX500 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A58 A3000 Sony SLT-A68 +52 more
flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,001

Under good light conditions all digital cameras having at least 6 Mp will perform almost identically. Especially if you watch their pictures on a monitor having 2Mp. Even 4k monitors have only 8 Mp, so no big difference among those pictures could be seen. What would you notice is rather different performance of the lenses, like corner sharpness, CA, ugly bokeh. However, if you need to take good pictures under the less than ideal conditions/light, then newest cameras will clearly win.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

Well... K20D with its Samsung sensor has somewhat different image than all those Sony sensors used in all later introduced cameras. With base ISO it is very good landscape performer. And I clearly remember, that when I bought K5 I was impressed by AF and video and other stuff. But that I was missing those colours and specific rendering of K20D..
And when I take the old one for walk time to time, it really can shine if light is good.. It was almost incredible image output in early 2008. Especially for that price. AF is slow, LiveView weak, hi-iso is weak.. but that image output at low iso is perfectly usable even for large output files.

-- hide signature --
 xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Casio QV-R40 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1s Pentax K20D +29 more
Anders_Nilsson Contributing Member • Posts: 572

I basically agree with you but today anything lesser than the K-3 does not make sense since they throw the cameras after you for free. Ok, the K-5ii maybe had legendary rendering.

Lenses are far more important. And light is far more important still.

In addition I personally believe that 24mp was the cornerstone of the market. Just like nothing important happened in the film market in the 1990's nothing important has happened in the DSLR market since 2013 when Pentax started to use the 24mp APS-C sensor. Smartphones are becoming really good but the do nothing in terns of photographic performance that we haven't had since 2013.

We now see the natural result of this in that the camera market hf as no development and is slowly dying off. But we can continue to use the cameras we have and buy replacement as needed. And maybe concentrate on photography.

Anders_Nilsson's gear list:Anders_Nilsson's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-10 Casio Exilim EX-100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +16 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 25,294

Almost same time of the day, suns out in both, lenses about equal if anything 16-85 is better, position different, but the 200 is so much better.

It's the depth rendering of those earlier sensors - wonderful.

I know I'll get flac for saying this - lol.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
OP Hythloday Senior Member • Posts: 2,127

ozdean wrote:

K200d was the camera that dpr reviewers said was too sharp.

I found the review. JPG was oversharpened. The RAW quality was very good, so highly recommended.

klimbkat wrote:

So, I guess I've got to keep buying gear and going places . . .

The last 4 pictures were taken during cycling trips. There was a moment when I said the camera and lens are a bit heavy to cycle around, especially when I replaced my DA16-45mm with a DA17-60mm. My solution was to buy a compact camera, a Panasonic Lumix LX 5. A very good camera, but when the sun shines you can hardly see anything on the screen. My solution is now to use a K-S2 with primes when the weather is not very bright.

Massao wrote:

To answer your query: I agree; light conditions, scene, and photographer’s eye play a stronger role in getting good images than the latest camera.

When you look back, you will always find pictures taken with older gear that are very pleasing. But if I was given the option to exchange my present gear for the old gear, I would say no, simply because I will miss some handy features.

flektogon wrote:

What would you notice is rather different performance of the lenses, like corner sharpness, CA, ugly bokeh.

Some reviewers test lenses on different cameras. I have compared my DA12-24mm on K200D, K-500 and K-3. DXOMark gives the following scores:

K200D and DA12-24mm: 11

K-50 and DA12-24mm: 16

K-3 and DA12-24mm: 15.

When I look at the pictures taken with the DA12-24mm on a K200D the sharpness is quite evenly from corner to corner, whereas on my K-3 the centre sharpness is higher but the edges are slightly less sharp.

Pentax has replaced lenses and its coating. I am still quite happy with my DA12-24mm on my K-3, but for newer models with better sensors it will be less good, I feel.

Anders_Nilsson wrote:

In addition I personally believe that 24mp was the cornerstone of the market. Just like nothing important happened in the film market in the 1990's nothing important has happened in the DSLR market since 2013 when Pentax started to use the 24mp APS-C sensor.

The growth in MP's has stopped. Now camera manufacturers try to make improvements by introducing pixel shift, etc.

In the computer world a similar thing took place some years ago. Some 20 years ago you had to buy a new computer every three years. Personally I have used my present computer for some 7 years and it still works allright. A new computer will work faster, not because it has more RAM memory, but because it works more effeciently with it.

ozdean wrote:

Almost same time of the day, suns out in both, lenses about equal if anything 16-85 is better, position different, but the 200 is so much better.

It's the depth rendering of those earlier sensors - wonderful.

I have good memories and bad memories of the K200D. The bad memories are the processing of some RAW images. Yesterday I reprocessed some images and found it depends on the lens used. With my DA12-24mm the K200D gave images with better colour than with the DA16-45mm. With my DA12-24mm the blue coloured sky was a pleasing blue, but with the DA16-45mm the blue coloured sky turned slightly greenish, resulting in a soft blue colour.

But the good memories win. If you ask me whether I would like to replace my K-3 with a K200D, I will answer no. Being used to the K-3, the K200D will be rather primitive, I think.

flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,001

Hythloday wrote:

flektogon wrote:

What would you notice is rather different performance of the lenses, like corner sharpness, CA, ugly bokeh.

Pentax has replaced lenses and its coating. I am still quite happy with my DA12-24mm on my K-3, but for newer models with better sensors it will be less good, I feel.

There is absolutely NO logical (physical) explanation for such a conclusion.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

Hythloday wrote:

Massao wrote:

To answer your query: I agree; light conditions, scene, and photographer’s eye play a stronger role in getting good images than the latest camera.

When you look back, you will always find pictures taken with older gear that are very pleasing. But if I was given the option to exchange my present gear for the old gear, I would say no, simply because I will miss some handy features.

Certainly, once we get used-to of some features, its hard to imagine a camera without them

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Hythloday wrote:

Anders_Nilsson wrote:

In addition I personally believe that 24mp was the cornerstone of the market. Just like nothing important happened in the film market in the 1990's nothing important has happened in the DSLR market since 2013 when Pentax started to use the 24mp APS-C sensor.

The growth in MP's has stopped. Now camera manufacturers try to make improvements by introducing pixel shift, etc.

In the computer world a similar thing took place some years ago. Some 20 years ago you had to buy a new computer every three years. Personally I have used my present computer for some 7 years and it still works allright. A new computer will work faster, not because it has more RAM memory, but because it works more effeciently with it.

Spot on!! The "processing" power has not improved much in last 10 years--- the key improvement is that newer CPU's use less energy (watts) and in turn dissipate less energy (heat).

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--

DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,250

Massao wrote:

Hythloday wrote:

Anders_Nilsson wrote:

In the computer world a similar thing took place some years ago. Some 20 years ago you had to buy a new computer every three years. Personally I have used my present computer for some 7 years and it still works allright. A new computer will work faster, not because it has more RAM memory, but because it works more effeciently with it.

Spot on!! The "processing" power has not improved much in last 10 years--- the key improvement is that newer CPU's use less energy (watts) and in turn dissipate less energy (heat).

Of course in Canada an old computer that doubles as a space heater has certain advantages

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax KP Pentax K-70 +32 more

DougOB wrote:

Massao wrote:

Hythloday wrote:

Anders_Nilsson wrote:

Of course in Canada an old computer that doubles as a space heater has certain advantages

Doug

LOL

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads