GX8 and G9

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Valentinian
Valentinian Contributing Member • Posts: 883
GX8 and G9

Hi

does anybody know for sure if the same battery of the GX8 can be used in the G9 ?

thanks for answering

Valentinian's gear list:Valentinian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 II Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
garryr Regular Member • Posts: 390
Re: GX8 and G9

Don’t know. But while you are waiting you could download the manuals from Panasonic and see for yourself.

-- hide signature --

“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” -A. ADAMS

garryr's gear list:garryr's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +2 more
northlondon43
northlondon43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,524

Valentinian wrote:

Hi

does anybody know for sure if the same battery of the GX8 can be used in the G9 ?

thanks for answering

I just looked it up on the internet , as I'm sure you could... no they're not the same battery

-- hide signature --

Adrian
An amateur, atheist, alliterationist

northlondon43's gear list:northlondon43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +3 more
jrsforums Senior Member • Posts: 1,375

Valentinian wrote:

Hi

thanks for answering

Not the same.  G9 & GH5 are the same.

jrsforums's gear list:jrsforums's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +10 more
Valentinian
OP Valentinian Contributing Member • Posts: 883

You're right - not the same battery

I enquired with B&H and they give me $354 credit for my perfect GX8, 3 batteries and two chargers vs. purchase of a new G9 (which therefore would cost me $ 644 at today listing)

now have to decide 

Valentinian's gear list:Valentinian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 II Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +1 more
Cyvan Regular Member • Posts: 230

Valentinian wrote:

I enquired with B&H and they give me $354 credit for my perfect GX8, 3 batteries and two chargers vs. purchase of a new G9 (which therefore would cost me $ 644 at today listing)

now have to decide

I have both cameras. That completely depends on why you feel the need to go to the G9?

Cyvan's gear list:Cyvan's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +6 more
ColdEd Regular Member • Posts: 184

Valentinian wrote:

Hi

thanks for answering

The GX8 uses the same battery as the Lumix GH-2.

The G9 uses the same battery as the Lumix GH-4.

The GX8 and G9 do not use the same battery.

ColdEd's gear list:ColdEd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 V2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,166

Valentinian wrote:

I enquired with B&H and they give me $354 credit for my perfect GX8, 3 batteries and two chargers vs. purchase of a new G9 (which therefore would cost me $ 644 at today listing)

now have to decide

No way would I sell my perfect GX8 for $354 - I know I'd regret it.  The GX8 makes a great pair with the G9.  Keep it and just buy the G9 on this great sale.  GX8 can shoot unlimited video unlike the G9, and it's nice to have a second camera, especially a more discreet RF-style body.

My two cents . . . .

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +15 more
gwydionjhr
gwydionjhr Junior Member • Posts: 42

As a dual owner...

Don't sell that GX8, you'll regret it.  Just look at the many, many threads on this forum and others singing the praises of the GX8, and the longing for a "proper" successor.

I like my G9, and there are certainly things that it is the better tool for (anything requiring C-AF comes to mind).
When my first GX8 hit 200,000 shutter activations I went and found another.

AshleyMC Regular Member • Posts: 295

Valentinian wrote:

I’m financially able to have the G9 while keeping the GX8.

I can’t decide for you, but I would echo the previous posters in saying that you should consider carefully before getting rid of your “perfect” GX8 - especially at that price.

rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,139

Even if u must sell the GX8 )-; ... buy the G9.

It is the best handling camera I've owned  (by far) !  Also it has amazing IBIS, better even than Oly EM1ii.  They are upgrading video to be nearly equal to GH5.  Panasonic is extending warranty to 3 yrs.   Finally, hi resolution Pixel shift is the real deal, giving me similar detail to my Sony A7rii.  And it is being improved by the new firmware to eliminates artifacts from moving elements in your frame.  In other words, while u still need a tripod, you are no longer limited to static subjects.

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

crazycuz2k New Member • Posts: 2

I concur, for $354, it's worth keeping or selling elsewhere. I have both as well and I like the rangefinder for street shooting or hiking. Usually just put on my Leica 15mm 1.7 and I have a lighweight, fast  set-up. It's also nice to have 2 camera's in the bag with different lenses so you don't have to make lens swaps. Or use one for video and the other for photo.

I also hate selling my stuff as I also have my beloved GX1 with a 14mm pancake as a pocket camera/tired of lugging around 2 camera's and bag but want the PQ and versatility over a phone.

Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Senior Member • Posts: 2,571

Valentinian wrote:

now have to decide

The GX 8 was not a great seller.At least Really Right Stuff told me same when they had no plate for the Arca Swiss mount when I called. It was derided by DPR  as a Big Beast by the reviewer back then.

But it was and still is a great camera. I am getting a G9 but would not think of selling my GX8 body. Which has a different shape but its own advantages. One of which is a slimmer profile. I just really like the GX 8 and got one for a bargain price w warranty.

In any event, financials aside, I think you can handle a private sale and garner a better price if you go that route. The bigger battery will be a help since the GX 8 kind of eats battery power in my hands. Nonetheless, I say the GX 8 is a classic design. Tilting EVF for one reason. Has good build as well....think twice about taking that offer, even if it represents market value...Good luck and happy holidays.

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Panasonic ZS100 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads