Off-camera Flash Recomendations

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
PLouisB New Member • Posts: 13
Off-camera Flash Recomendations

Hi All,

I am moving to Sony from Canon and plan on using the A9ii and the A7RIV.  I would like to be to use a flash to photograph nocturnal birds and animals.

I have accomplished this quite easily with Canon but need advice for these Sony cameras.

What Flash would you suggest?

Thanks!

PLB

Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,405
Re: Off-camera Flash Recomendations

Many of us would recommend Godox. Get an XPro-S trigger and your choice of TT685S or V860II-S (same flash, different batteries) or the larger AD200. If you're in the USA, buy Adorama's Flashpoint-branded version for better support.

There are a few with more money than sense who'd recommend Sony flashes but they're remarkably expensive and don't have the flexibility of the Godox range. The exception might be Sony's older IR-controlled range which might work for you as you work at night and the flashes can be good value secondhand.

There are a further few that like the Yongnuo Air system. This is sensibly priced but still isn't as full a range as Godox.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
Phil Shaw Regular Member • Posts: 357

You can use your Canon flashes with the Godox controllers for Canon.  I use a mix of Canon, Nikon and Godox flashes with the appropriate controllers.

OP PLouisB New Member • Posts: 13

This is very interesting!  Is there any downside to using my Canon flash in this way as apposed to Godox?

Thanks for this advice!

i have heard positive things about Godox but I have also heard warnings that Godox units, smoke, flame and  even explode.  Is this true or an extreme exaggeration?

Snapsh0t

Extreme exaggeration at best. I may be wrong but I don't think anyone here has reported that level of disaster.

Veloster75 Contributing Member • Posts: 862

PLouisB wrote:

Thanks for this advice!

i have heard positive things about Godox but I have also heard warnings that Godox units, smoke, flame and even explode. Is this true or an extreme exaggeration?

I've had three Godox V860II and never had issues.

-- hide signature --

Have a great life.

Veloster75's gear list:Veloster75's gear list
Sony a7R IV Venus Laowa 15mm F2 FE Zero-D Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +9 more
Jojophotomo Forum Member • Posts: 64

I use Flashpoint gear, and am pretty  happy with it.  I use the lithium ion flash and also the eVolv 200.  The quality of light seems fine, and they haven't overheated on me yet, or stopped working for any reason.

My critique of them, however, is that the integrated R2 radio system doesn't have the reliability for professional use.  I get a lot of no-fires when I use the Flashpoint transmitter which really sucks when have 5-10 minutes with someone and your strobe doesn't go off when you're trying to capture a good moment.  So for that reason, I use Pocket Wizard Plus IIIs for the radio system.

That being said, the lithium ion flash they sell is pretty good.  Obviously when it's mounted on the camera you don't need to worry about the radio system, and the TTL seems to work pretty well.

jake14mw Contributing Member • Posts: 783

Godox/Flashpoint, no question

Thanks for this info.  Do you often get consecutive misfires with the transmitter?  I would like to use the flash off-camera.  For this purpose would a flash cable to this flash be more dependable?

Would it possible to use this flash with both my Canon and Sony with two adapters?

williams359 Regular Member • Posts: 228

I have two Godox V1 one AD200 and a xpro trigger. Only downside to the godox is how quickly they overheat on full power in HSS . Normal full power is fine but HSS full power is very poor

williams359's gear list:williams359's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +3 more

Thanks for the info!

Phil Shaw Regular Member • Posts: 357

One thing to note - if you are shooting mainly birds you may want to opt for the Godox V860II, as there is no flash zoom function on the V1 or the AD200.

Thanks Phil!

Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Senior Member • Posts: 2,826

EJojophotomo wrote:

I use Flashpoint gear, and am pretty happy with it. I use the lithium ion flash and also the eVolv 200. The quality of light seems fine, and they haven't overheated on me yet, or stopped working for any reason.

My critique of them, however, is that the integrated R2 radio system doesn't have the reliability for professional use. I get a lot of no-fires when I use the Flashpoint transmitter which really sucks when have 5-10 minutes with someone and your strobe doesn't go off when you're trying to capture a good moment. So for that reason, I use Pocket Wizard Plus IIIs for the radio system.

That being said, the lithium ion flash they sell is pretty good. Obviously when it's mounted on the camera you don't need to worry about the radio system, and the TTL seems to work pretty well.

I shoot the 860’s, AD200’s and AD600’s with triggers. I solved the misfire problem by turning EFCS off. Now, I rarely ever experience a misfire; whereas, I experienced up to 30% misfires with it on.

-- hide signature --
 Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +14 more

Thanks Jeff!

Would the Godox/Flashpoint V860II work with a off-camera flash cord as well?

Would the same unit also work with a Canon 1DXII?  If so, what adapters etc would I need to purchase?

williams359 Regular Member • Posts: 228

Phil Shaw wrote:

One thing to note - if you are shooting mainly birds you may want to opt for the Godox V860II, as there is no flash zoom function on the V1 or the AD200.

The V1 does zoom

williams359's gear list:williams359's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +3 more
Snapsh0t

It should work with an off-camera cord but a Sony one needs three components. most not available new,  and I know of only one third-party cord.

It should work off-camera with the equivalent Canon trigger on the camera but it probably won't fit on-camera as the Sony foot is very slightly wider than standard and would be manual-only anyway.

Thanks Snapshot!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads