Critique My Photo

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Messi10ninja New Member • Posts: 10
Critique My Photo

Hello, I am new to photography and this is one of the first pictures that I have taken. I shot it at a shutter speed of 1/20, an aperture of f/5.6, at 200mm and on an ISO of 560. Afterward, I edited it a bit on Lightroom.

What do you guys think? What could I have done better?

Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
BrokenPhotography Contributing Member • Posts: 558
Re: Critique My Photo

I feel the angle of approach (framing/composition) is spot on.. but the time or time of day/night is off. The images is really grainy and the lens is registering as gibberish.. Would like to know what lens was used. Couple of things could have helped this setup. Tripod and using a long exposure. Also was a filter used?

MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 16,596

I would try the shot again in better light which seems to be the main issue IMO.  It is grainy and due to the lighting, does not show a great amount of detail.

tarakanchik Senior Member • Posts: 1,010

Besides the obvious -- light/grain, I would also suggest including a little bit more of the bottom to have the tree line connected.

-- hide signature --

I lug my photo equipment everywhere. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it uncomfortable and cumbersome? Absolutely. Is it often an inconvenience? You bet. But is it all worth it? Sometimes...

OP Messi10ninja New Member • Posts: 10

Hello,

I shot the photo on my dad's old camera. The lens is a AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm 1:3,5 - 5,6. I didn't use a filter, as I just started with photography. I'll try out your tips tommorow in better light.

Thanks a lot

Alright I'll try it again tommorow, thanks

Alright thanks man

Krusty79 Senior Member • Posts: 1,863

I think that scene has potential, but the light was not good.  First of all, I would use a (good) tripod so that you can shoot at ISO 100 and minimize the noise. That will also allow you to shoot at f/8, which should be at or very close to the sweet spot for that lens.

I would also try to capture that scene when there is a orange/pinkish glow on the cloud(s). That would give you a more compelling subject.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greg79
"You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature" - Larry Andersen

Krusty79's gear list:Krusty79's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 3,206
Or, you might experiment with a B & W conversion

Claim the grain is an artistic device

Seriously, I think you might be able to get a credible B & W conversion out oof the images if you spend some time on it.

BrokenPhotography Contributing Member • Posts: 558

Looking forward to it. Waiting with high exceptions. Make a day of it. Don't just achieve one image, try taking multiple images over a set time period. But in the same breath.. cold weather then entering into warm vehicle or home, one can risk moisture within the camera, ending up with fungus later on. A catch 22 when exploring in nature at different times of the year. Sadly, I'm not able to exit the house during colder weather in order to take pictures like yours so I cant help you on how best to safe guard your gear from cold damage or moisture afterwards.

Alright, thanks man, I try it out to today and send it in this thread

Re: Or, you might experiment with a B & W conversion

Ok, thanks

Thanks for for the tips, I'll send it on this thread once I've completed it

jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 9,351

Dark grainy images rarely prove popular, they are both easy to criticise and people buy into the hype that both are unacceptable.

Personally, I don't mind either. I see these as qualities that have to be assessed relative to the content of an image. They bring atmosphere, mood and intrigue, they break away from the golden hour and tell us more about the environment. They add expression to an image rather than the usual boring sugar coated utopian dreams that leave me yawning.

But the edge to edge sharpness is lacking in your shot... and it does have a feeling of being pushed in pp. I suspect the original exposure was too low. I'd say it need just enough exposure to show the final glow of light on the mountain tops.

One of the advantages of the current dark look is the distracting pole in the centre bottom of the shot is barely noticeable. If you do brighten it up, then more elements in the composition will become active features - the basic principle of composition is to eliminate the bad features and optimise good ones.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

landscaper1
landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088

Having read the other comments I'm still mystified at why the image is so noisy.  Whether or not you used a tripod shouldn't alter the fact that, at ISO 560, f/5.6 and 1/20th of a second, that image shouldn't be so noisy.  Yes, it's a bit underexposed by about a half stop, but wouldn't account for all that noise.

Unless ... Is it possible that what you posted is a very small section of a much larger image?

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
-----
"Draw me a picture of an island without any seas;
show me a map of the whole world without boundaries."

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 9,351

landscaper1 wrote:

Having read the other comments I'm still mystified at why the image is so noisy. Whether or not you used a tripod shouldn't alter the fact that, at ISO 560, f/5.6 and 1/20th of a second, that image shouldn't be so noisy. Yes, it's a bit underexposed by about a half stop, but wouldn't account for all that noise.

Unless ... Is it possible that what you posted is a very small section of a much larger image?

I'm not familiar with a 7000 but 560 iso shouldn't be so noisy... my guess is the original exposure was way under, the OP lifted the exposure by 2 or 3 stops in LR.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Hello,

Yes I cropped the image, since my lens didn't zoom in enough. I didn't want the other parts in the photo as it wasn't that nice. What would you think?

Ok, thanks man, I'll try to take it again

D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,564

Messi10ninja wrote:

Hello,

I shot the photo on my dad's old camera. The lens is a AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm 1:3,5 - 5,6. I didn't use a filter, as I just started with photography. I'll try out your tips tommorow in better light.

Thanks a lot

I believe you did an excellent job considering the circumstances you were shooting under. Low light. You have a good camera, and a good walk around lens that is very slow....or dark

I had this lens and used it on my D80 and D300S....Somehow it worked better on the D300S...

Frankly I thought my lens was "Jack of all trades. Master of none." I used it for several years, only because I couldn't afford a replacement lens.

Consider your ISO and shutter speed when shooting. Here your shutter speed is 1/20 second. I think that's too low.

When you're shooting make sure that you have VR turned on. That's vibration reduction. There's a switch on the lens.

The old rule of thumb was 1/(focal length of the lens) or approximately 1/250 second here.  If you increased the ISO a lot, you might have made the image even grainier.

This lens's strength is that it's a good walk around lens. You can go out with one lens and take photos of many subjects.  It's a compromise; sometimes compromise is a good thing.

If you're considering a longer lens I've had great success using another slow lens, my 70-300VR.  It's results are magical considering its cost. I ended up replacing my 18-200VR with a shorter zoom that performs well. I get better images with this combination than I did with my 18-200VR.

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Hazeltown

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 II Nikon D300S Sony a6000
landscaper1
landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088

Messi10ninja wrote:

Hello,

Yes I cropped the image, since my lens didn't zoom in enough. I didn't want the other parts in the photo as it wasn't that nice. What would you think?

Without seeing what the rest of the image looks like, I can't possibly say what I might've thought of the larger image.  In any case, your post clearly illustrates what happens when any image is cropped too severely regardless of how good the camera and lens may be.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
-----
"Draw me a picture of an island without any seas;
show me a map of the whole world without boundaries."

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads