Graph in viewfinder display on E PM2

Started Nov 18, 2019 | Questions
Geoliebert Regular Member • Posts: 120
Graph in viewfinder display on E PM2

I was wondering...there is a little box with a vertical line in the viewfinder and a -1 next to it. It's some kind of level adjustment I think but I can't get rid of it or change and can't find it in the manual. Anyone know what it is?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Isola Verde
Isola Verde Veteran Member • Posts: 9,742
Re: Graph in viewfinder display on E PM2

Geoliebert wrote:

I was wondering...there is a little box with a vertical line in the viewfinder and a -1 next to it. It's some kind of level adjustment I think but I can't get rid of it or change and can't find it in the manual. Anyone know what it is?

This is from the PM2 manual..... do you see it there?

[Click on image for larger version!]

Peter

PS  - link to download that manual as a pdf...

https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/pen/man_epm2_e.pdf

Isola Verde's gear list:Isola Verde's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 +13 more
OP Geoliebert Regular Member • Posts: 120

Thanks.  I'm not sure why you would use that control, but at least I know how to manipulate it.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,038

Geoliebert wrote:

Thanks. I'm not sure why you would use that control, but at least I know how to manipulate it.

I presume that you are talking about item #23 shown, the Gradation or Highlights and Shadows setting. It is the means to alter the jpeg curve in either the highlights or shadows area. There's also an auto setting to let the camera decide what to do. https://www.olympusamerica.com/crm/oneoffpages/ask_oly/crm_e_ask_oly_02_11.asp

That describes the canned settings, plus the user can get in there and alter the highlights or shadows curve to taste.

In the E-PM2 manual.....

In my case always at default Standard and then mostly use the RAW files anyway.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +5 more
OLY23 Regular Member • Posts: 220

I use it all the time for landscape work and find it very useful.  You might want to give it a try, then again you might not.  In any case it’s one more feature of Olympus I am thankful for.  As an old film man I find some of these features nothin short of amazing. The PM-2 is a nice little camera even though it’s long in the tooth. Enjoy!

OP Geoliebert Regular Member • Posts: 120

I like to fool around with settings a lot, what do you tend to do with this setting? Do you lower the shadows or raise the highlights?  Does it stay set until you change it?  Thanks

Guy Parsons

Geoliebert wrote:

I like to fool around with settings a lot, what do you tend to do with this setting? Do you lower the shadows or raise the highlights? Does it stay set until you change it? Thanks

You change it as you see the need to do so, and it does stay set until next change.

A high contrast sunny street scene with both bright and shadow areas where you want to see detail could see you fiddling to raise the shadows and maybe also lower the highlights. The adjusts are done to get the jpeg result that you like.

But to me it's all too much to be wasting time and effort fiddling in the field when you could be simply taking photos. So I shoot raw+jpeg and sort out problem shots later from the raw file.

Regards..... Guy

Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +5 more

If you shoot raw, I would follow Parsons’ suggestion.  If you shoot JPEG as I do, experiment.  I’m an old film shooter and don’t enjoy sitting in front of a computer, so I like to do it in camera, occasionally using external filtration like I did shooting chrome film. Olympus JPEG’s are pretty good.

To each his own.  The choice is yours, have fun.

Guy Parsons

OLY23 wrote:

If you shoot raw, I would follow Parsons’ suggestion. If you shoot JPEG as I do, experiment. I’m an old film shooter and don’t enjoy sitting in front of a computer, so I like to do it in camera, occasionally using external filtration like I did shooting chrome film. Olympus JPEG’s are pretty good.

To each his own. The choice is yours, have fun.

To follow on from that, you can use Olympus Workspace as a tool to find the best settings to use for the camera.

Take some raw+jpeg shots then use Workspace on the raw files and experiment with all the settings to produce different jpegs, then sit back and compare the resulting jpegs to see what settings worked best, then use those settings in the camera for the jpegs.

OK, different situations need different settings so the Workspace experimenting will reduce the time wasted in the field with wrong settings.

Workspace from https://support.olympus-imaging.com/owdownload/ and I have found that using '123456789' as a serial number always works.

By the way, although Workspace will only accept raw files from Olympus, it will conveniently accept jpegs from any source, so all camera brands jpeg can also be fiddled with in Workspace - but there is better software out there if only playing with jpegs.

Regards..... Guy

Thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out.

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 13,951

Geoliebert wrote:

I like to fool around with settings a lot, what do you tend to do with this setting? Do you lower the shadows or raise the highlights? Does it stay set until you change it? Thanks

On Panny there is an equivalent feature the Highlight/Shadow.

However it has only effect on jpg output, so more useful for SOOC jpg shooter.

I use it a lot to increase contrast (no fixed pattern, mostly depending on the lighting condition), to push or lower certain light pattern for more even brightness condition, like - on highlight or + on shadow on high contrast condition etc.

However please bear in mind, it is no difference from manipulation of the light curve in Photoshop. HS cannot increase the DR of the sensor. If the image had area of highlight overblown or dead shadow (no detail in them), HS can do nothing at all.

An interesting feature.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads