* The Weekly Image Thread 19 11 18 #392 *

Started 3 months ago | Photos
JoeNap2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,243
Re: Cloudy SF

Have to agree... cranes are crazy. One of my uncles was a crane operator in a shipyard in Camden, New Jersey ages ago. Not sure if this was a cargo crane or for construction.

JoeNap2's gear list:JoeNap2's gear list
Samsung L74 Wide Olympus E-500 Nikon D7000

It was very busy during WW2 and for many years after. Has been turned over to the City of SF for public use and redevelopment now.

Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 6,356

LOL--With prices as they are in SF, any open space is an opportunity--waterfront!

JoeNap2 wrote:

So I'm guessing you're in the real estate biz!

If you turn around 180 degrees in the park where I was standing here's the first thing you see... condos!

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +25 more

PSPS? Paint Shop Pro 2020? Yes...

Re: Sunrise, familiar view

Andrew... saw an article recently by a climate scientist who was theorizing that we may be in for global cooling rather than global warming. You never know when you're in the middle of an inter-glacial period.

Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 10,522

Oops, Public Safety Power Shutdown.  I was wondering if you're in a designated area.  Rich

19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 34,522
Re: Sunrise, familiar view

About what I figured for the grip and you Rich.  I do not have large hands and the pinky finger is about half on/half off.  A slightly deeper grip would be ok for me.  I did not like the two piece grip on the EM5i.  I only used the landscape part.  That whole thing was a pita.  A grip manufactured into the body to begin with I think is the way to go but the price is large!  I wanted to try one in the store before I bought the EM1ii but I did not want to put the salesperson to the effort of opening a box to allow me to do so.  I might have come away with nothing if I had decided that I wanted the EMX1.

Still no Scotch.  Too cheap to spring for anything good.  Long ago I used to buy Chivas or Glenlivet but I was working then and had not acquired a taste for more adventurous brews.  Now that I am retired I am too 'thrifty' to buy anything I would like.  Oh well, maybe we will get a lot of snow this winter and my neighbours will gift me some.  Still looking for an LCBO that carries the less expensive O.P. but have not located one yet.  Now out of margaritas too.  I buy the mixed ones in the summer or for travel when we stay in hotels because they come in convenient plastic bottles.  One more away tournament to come this hockey season to the best of my knowledge.  I hope that is it.  Twenty nine games counting tonight for the one grandson and lots more to go.

Andrew

Rich Z
New Lens

I got an M.Zuiko 12-200. From E Infinity in Hong Kong, it was 2/3 of the best price I could find otherwise. It arrived four days after the order.

After a couple hundred pix I find it excellent. It does have mild vignetting at 200mm, like the MZ 14 150 at 150mm, but that is very simple and easy to remove in PP.

I shot varying subjects to test it so no theme.

The morning fog heading back to The Pacific from Mc Farland slough crossing Eureka Slough on The Waterfront Trail out behind The Home.

The trees at Woodley Island Marina in Humboldt Bay are full of black crowned night herons. The first is juvenile coloration. The second is adult. Everything changes but The Sunday morning on The Clydeside Eyes.

It resists flaring well. I only had to remove one streak.

Looking through the fog from Humboldt Hill at Table Bluff on Southern Humboldt Bay.

Her master left her outside the garden at The Loleta Cheese Factory where I shot this and the two above. She was sad but happy for some attention and gave me a soulful look.

On The Yurok Reservation at Klamath, California. This is a sweat lodge, or bachelor housing. The construction is ingenious. They had no nails so it's built to fit tightly and tied together with leather laces.

Ladies' quarters. The Yuroks favored round doors. The Sun came out and began to burn off the fog drip.

The Yuroks are keeping their traditions and crafts alive. This canoe is being made from one redwood log.

That's all. Rich

19andrew47
Re: New Lens

That is a great set Rich!  All wonderful images.  You did well!  I am glad to hear that you are happy with your new acquisition!

I have been busy processing and tossing thousands of hockey images.  There is no rest for the wicked!  I must have been very very bad!  A year ago I had to switch the shutter speed from 1/320 s to 1/400 s to get sharper images of the moving youngsters.  The little b. are getting faster yet.  That shutter speed will not stop the faster ones any more.  I am afraid to go faster as the iso s will climb considerably.  I already max out at 3200 at times, depending upon the rink.  I could use the 45 mm f/1.2 but would lose the ability to zoom in from time to time.  It would likely focus faster.  However, not sure how much dof I would get at f/2 or f/1.8.  Likely not enough but I am probably at least 50 ft away, perhaps more.  I did some test shots at a goalie this week but have not had a chance to look at them yet.

I have one more game to finish up tonight then will be caught up until tomorrow night.  Game tomorrow, Saturday, Monday and not sure what after that.

If these kids get much faster I will have to retire from shooting hockey or buy a camera that doesn't need light so I can shoot at 1/1000 s not at iso 16 000.

I got nothin' for tomorrow night so it may have to wait until Saturday morning (the new thread).

Andrew

dt27348
dt27348 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,658

Looks like you've got a keeper there Rich. Colour and details are impressive. Your reference to Clydeside  will probably be lost on most of the members here but it made me laugh.

Dave

dt27348's gear list:dt27348's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Rich Z

Thanks, Andrew.  The lens is a little better than I expected and my Caledonian blood likes the bargain....not mean, just careful.

If the little dears had more iron in their diets the weight would slow them down.

Your situation makes me wonder how much difference a full frame camera would make.  Rich

Rich Z

Thanks, Dave.  The lens is better than I expected from a 16.6x zoom.  I was willing to compromise to get an all around lens which will focus close, but the shots of the flowers were sharp enough to be able to crop to a tighter shot.  There's much less compromise than I expected.  Olympus has always made great lenses.

The joke about The Clydeside was for you.  I'm glad it had the desired effect.  Rich

Cloudforest
Cloudforest Senior Member • Posts: 1,099

Looking like a nice lens there Rich. The first rose is beautiful and the Night Heron pics are great.

Craig from Nevada

Very nice set, Rich.

The lens appears to be a winner and a great price too.

Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +25 more
Rich Z

Thanks, Pete.  I am satisfied with it and now can walk with just one lens.  Rich

Rich Z

Thanks, Craig.  It seems good enough to let me go for a walk without a waist pack with 2 extra lenses.  That price made it happen.  Aye, I can nae resist a bargain.  Rich

19andrew47

The full frame would likely be good, but it would not be affordable with a 70 - 200 mm f/2.8 lens likely.  The new Canon lens looks good but it is $3500 cdn funds.  Add that to a $4000 body and it starts to get really expensive in a hurry.  More than I want to spend to take hockey images for sure.  The 40 - 150 mm f/2.8 pro Olympus lens might be an improvement for this type of shooting as it focuses faster.  I am losing images when I try to shoot where the focus is not on the goalie.  I am going to have to have a close look at the images I took with the 45 mm f/1.2 to see if I have better results when the focus point changes.  I tend to lock the focus on the goalie then wait for something to happen and release the shutter.  SAF so no CAF.  I did try CAF but the camera has no idea which player to follow.  Hockey is too crowded with players going this way and that for the camera to lock onto a single player and stay with that player.  It doesn't work.  The old 50 - 200 images are just fine for sharpness but the focus could be faster at locking on.  The new lenses may or may not do a better job.  A nice used 40 - 150 pro might be something to try.  I need to set up a myset for hockey images and stop using both card slots and just shoot with one fast card, large sf jpgs.  I currently have a card in each slot and shoot raw to card 1 and the jpg to card 2.  I suspect that puts a bit of a drain on the processing and that it may have an impact on shooting if the camera is still writing the previous burst.  Sometimes it does not seem as responsive as usual but I may be imagining things.

I had tried to look up your reference to Clydeside Eyes on Sunday morning but came up empty.  I did learn some things about Clydeside though.

Andrew

Craig from Nevada

Rich Z wrote:

Thanks, Craig. It seems good enough to let me go for a walk without a waist pack with 2 extra lenses. That price made it happen. Aye, I can nae resist a bargain. Rich

A smoking deal, Rich.

The service is amazing. Next day shipping. I believe the bottleneck in delivery is the delay from when you click the "purchase" icon to when the money is deposited into e-infinity's account. After it clears it gets next day shipping.  Almost instant gratification.

Snow is on the way next week I hear.

Rich Z

I was going to wait to buy a 12 200 used, Andrew.  Currently, a good used one from a seller I would trust is $100 more than I paid.  I was also considering a M1.2 used,  currently $200 more than a new one from E infin.  Your opinion on M1.2 v M1X made me reevaluate.  For the last 25 years I have not bought anything on credit.  The Kia is the exception, but that was a must have as my trusty old Toyota pickemup was dying of old age and was having expensive failures.  I had to install a new radiator a few years ago during the six months between surgeries and it took me a week.  The labor to have it done was three times the price of the radiator!  Now, getting down to check the tires is too painful to the gut.  I found a loading ramp I can drive up on and check the tires without the four painful crouches.  Anyhow, if I bought The X I'd have to use credit or wait too long to save the cash.  As I said, I really don't need a new camera, but if I found myself on my death's bed with a couple grand in the bank I would find the energy to get out of bed and kick myself.  My Dad taught me that money is to be enjoyed, not to be hoarded and loved for itself alone.  I just want to get rid of the clutter from the damned money which accumulates like dust on the windowsill and a new toys will do the job.

The Clydeside joke was aimed at Dave.  It just popped into my head as was writing and I thought it would make him laugh.  I was referring to hangovers in Glasgow.    Rich

Oops!

Rich... I'm SFO adjacent. If they shut down my power it means the Bay Area comes to a screeching halt! Don't think Pigs, Greed and Extortion wants to go there!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads