* The Weekly Image Thread 19 11 18 #392 *

Started 3 months ago | Photos
19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 34,510
Re: Sunrise, familiar view

I don't usually worry about resizing Rich as I only resize when posting panos that will not otherwise upload to the gallery in dpr.  I just alter the jpg compression until the image size is around 3 MB and upload that jpg.  While I don't really want anyone to 'steal' my images as I still want to retain the right to copywrite protection if they download it and use it I am not going to lose any sleep over it.  In fact if any one really wants one all they have to do is ask and I will likely send them an uncompressed jpg.

However, I do resize sometimes when doing composites so that is something I will have to keep in mind when I do that so thanks for the heads up.

So you did it!  I hope it is every thing you are hoping it is Rich.  I was unimpressed with the reviews I read but expecting a 12 - 200 to be equal to a 12 - 40 is unreasonable so it just is not for me, YET!  I may get there though sooner than expected!  When we did the cruise in the spring I only took the 12 - 100, the Panasonic 20 mm f/1.7, and the Bower 7.5 mm FE.  So anything longer than 100 mm was not going to happen.  I did not even take the 40 - 150 plastic kit lens which weighs pretty much nothing.

The bathroom vanity, all 72 inches of it, arrived this morning with its 1.5 inch thick (did not measure, could be a bit more) quartz top with two sinks attached along with a couple of trim pieces.  I thought the guys bringing it in the front door were going to have the big one.  The younger guy is 41 and I am guessing the older guy was 50 or more.  That top weighed way more than they ought to have been lifting!  The shower also came.  Glass doors 60 x 72 ish are not light either nor is the wall material that is some sort of polymer printed and embossed to look like marble.  Not sure what I was thinking when we ordered this stuff.  I am not 30 any longer.  Twenty years ago all this would have been a lot less problematic than I think it going to turn out to be.  At 72 I don't have a lot of young friends to ask to come and give me a hand when the heavy lifting is needed.  I think some sleepless nights are in store!  Maybe I can do the deconstruction and start the install getting the walls ready (plumb and level) and install the shower base.  If I time it right I can get son number two the give me a hand with the rear shower wall.  The sides are half the size roughly and I think I can manage them myself.  Some drywall replacement around the shower then call in the floor people because I can not lay tile anymore since I can not kneel.  I will try and remember to take a bunch of images along the way and document the process.  If I ever finish, I will post them!

Andrew

19andrew47

Thanks Joe.  No shortage of precipitation here this year.  Lots and lots of rain.  The Great Lakes are at record highs and there is flooding in many of the towns along the shores of Lake Erie.  The snow has started early this year.  In the past we often had days approaching 70 here in December.  A week or two of unseasonably warm weather was fairly common for many years.  Not so much the past several winters.  Changes are on the way I am afraid.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: Cloudy SF

Nice to see Joe.  Would have been nice to see in action years ago.  That is a really large crane!

Andrew

Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 6,355
Re: More From The Railroad Museum

JoeNap2 wrote:

Craig... great color and B&W work. Lovely images. Grew up near Philly... would be interesting to know where the engine was constructed and what's there now. Something to do on the next trip back east!

Based on information from the internet, the Baldwin Works from its founding in 1831 until 1920 (or 1906 or 1912, depending on the source), were located at Broad and Spring Garden Streets.  At or near the site of the Philadelphia Inquirer Building. Hard to believe that it was so near downtown (400 block of North Broad Street).

The works moved to Eddystone, Delaware County around 1920 and remained there until closing in 1955. The market for steam engines was gone.

Now, I am going to have to buy a book to read up on the firm's history.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +25 more
Craig from Nevada

A nice mix of some greenery, old buildings and grey skies.

Looks like a prime location for condos.

Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +25 more
Kiwisnap Senior Member • Posts: 1,021
Beekeeping

Reading the beeleaves...

Shot with EM1X and 40-150 f2.8 Pro.

Processed in Lightroom.

From a personal project I am working on.

Kiwisnap's gear list:Kiwisnap's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +2 more
Craig from Nevada
Re: Beekeeping

That is a fascinating image and aptly named.

I would be shooting at 150mm

Charles Baxter
Charles Baxter Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
On camera

Flash was Sunpak 383 on hot shoe using Omni bounce diffuser and aluminum foil deflector to bounce most of flash down directly in front of lens.  I use this set-up lots for close-up.  Thanks

-- hide signature --

slowbutsteady

Charles Baxter's gear list:Charles Baxter's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
19andrew47

That is a great image!  Very cool!

Andrew

Cloudforest
Cloudforest Senior Member • Posts: 1,099

The first is beautiful Andrew and it looks like you were out there at exactly the right time.

There was a beautiful sunset on my drive home from work yesterday but sadly nowhere to pull over for miles.

Cloudforest
Re: bullfinch

These are lovely birds Harri. Sometimes see them at a local nature reserve but sadly not in the garden.

Cloudforest
Re: More From The Railroad Museum

These are great Craig. I'll never tire of looking at sets like this. I like the crop on the first and the fourth is terrific. I think detail shots always make the series more complete.

Cloudforest
Re: Winter Arrives in Glencoe

These are great Dave. Looks like perfect conditions for a spot of walking and photography. I love the third - the light on the snow on the tops is beautiful. I like the summit pic for the same reason.

Cloudforest
Re: Rain droplets

Very nicely done Charles. I like the use of flash.

Cloudforest

I really like industrial shots Joe, whether they are of current working locations or like this one, shadows of a former time.

The crane looks like a magnificent piece of engineering.

Cloudforest

A lovely image. The light is just right to pick out the flying bees.

19andrew47

Thanks Pete.  I know the feeling well of either no where to pull over for a good shot, or no time to do so.  Frustrating but not much to be done about it except await the next opportunity!

Andrew

dt27348
dt27348 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,655

Thanks Andrew. They do look so much better viewed at original size. We have had some great weather of late. Cold and frosty with plenty sunshine. It can't last.😊

Dave

dt27348's gear list:dt27348's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
dt27348
Re: Exquisite scenery

That's a trail used by climbers to reach the start of climbing routes on the face of the mountain. Very popular with both rock climbers and snow and ice climbers. Not for an old guy like me.

Thanks for the comments Charles.

Dave

Samsung GX-10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
dt27348

Thanks Rich.

As things stand at this moment Rich, there are 282 mountains classed as Munro's. Over the years the powers that be have messed with the list,deleting some and promoting others. Some stalwarts think we should have stuck with the original list compiled by Sir Hugh Munro despite some inaccuracies.

And yes by 1992 I had climbed them all.  There are a number of other classifications such as Corbett's.Donalds,Graham's and Marilyn's. More than enough for anyone's lifetime. I've had so many great times over the years I can die a happy man. Not for a long time yet I hope.

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads