Dropped gx8 + oly 9-18 onto concrete !

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 5,607
Dropped gx8 + oly 9-18 onto concrete !

Yesterday working with 2 cameras I stupidly managed to drop my Panasonic GX8 with the Olympus 9-18 wide angle lens attached onto hard concrete from standing height. It was a really solid sickening thud, and the photographers around all looked in horror.

I froze as someone picked it up and handed it to me, nervously I switched it on - and guess what, - all still works perfectly including the lens optics and camera stabilisation

Thank goodness I didn't have the 12-35pro on at that moment!

How did I manage to drop it ... Working with 2 cameras at a hectic Roller Derby event, swapping lenses and cameras, I had previously held the camera very low and didn't remember that the GX8 camera strap was no longer around my neck anymore as I swapped back to the em1-mk2.

What an idiot, I certainly learned an embarrassing if not expensive lesson and feel very fortunate that the GX8 is built so tough.

PS. I still can't believe that it works OK !!!

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Peter Del Veteran Member • Posts: 5,936
Re: Dropped gx8 + oly 9-18 onto concrete !

The 9-18 seems vulnerable when extended, you were fortunate indeed.

Yesterday I was watching the F1 Grand Prix.

The winners parked up and jumped out of their cars to face a barrage of professional photographers on the other side of the fence. One dropped his FF camera with giant white lens lens attached on to the ground. He briefly glanced down, and carried on shooting with his other camera!

Peter Del

Peter Del's gear list:Peter Del's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +5 more
Adrian Harris
OP Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 5,607

Peter Del wrote:

The winners parked up and jumped out of their cars to face a barrage of professional photographers on the other side of the fence. One dropped his FF camera with giant white lens lens attached on to the ground. He briefly glanced down, and carried on shooting with his other camera!

Peter Del

Do you think he was using rented gear?

Re 9-18, fortunately mine wasn't extended when dropped

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +1 more

Adrian Harris wrote:

Peter Del wrote:

Peter Del

Do you think he was using rented gear?

No idea.

Re 9-18, fortunately mine wasn't extended when dropped

Very fortunate.

Peter Del

Olympus PEN-F Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +5 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 3,418

Back when I had an Olympus OM-D EM-1 mki I was using it with the Olympus 12-50. I went to put it back in its clip art shoulder height but missed. It fell from shoulder height onto concrete and bounced a couple of times. It just continued working as if nothing had happened.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Nikon D50 Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 550D Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +12 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 39,343
Ouch ...

One on my GM5 bodies with lens attached ended up under a tractor wheel a few days ago (don’t ask). Inside a padded bag, but a quite flat bag at the time.

Lens survived 100% but camera worked ok as well when switched on but large dent in top plate stopped it being switched off again. Now in pieces with attempted dent removal intent.  Would dearly love a GM5 Service Manual as the internals are significantly different from those of the GM1 whose Service Manual is relatively easy to obtain.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,685
Re: I dropped my E-M5 with Oly 9-18mm a couple years ago

I know the feeling. I was sightseeing with my family and grandparents. I handed my E-M5 with 9-18mm to a family member so they could take a photo of my family in front of a fountain. As the camera was being handed back to me, somehow my 5-year-old took off and got tangled in the strap. The camera and lens hit the concrete very hard. The LCD on the back of the E-M5 cracked and no longer works, but otherwise the camera functions just fine (you just have to use the EVF for everything... which gets a bit tricky when going into the menu system).

I was pretty sure the 9-18mm was toast. It's such a lightweight and plasticky lens. Part of the lens hood mount did crack and break off, and the action when you collapse the lens for storage (or extend it for use) is a bit stiff. To my suprise the lens is still optically just fine. I thought for sure there would be issues focusing or with sharpness, but it's totally fine. The lens itself avoided scratches somehow (the shallow lens hood absorbed the blow but managed to protect the lens element).

I now have the E-M1 Mark II, but I still use my E-M5 as a second camera. I never paid to have the LCD replaced because of the age of the camera at the time. I might send the 9-18mm in for repair one of these days, but the repair would be costly and the lens works just fine.

Overall I was surprised at how well the gear survived. Maybe the lighter it is, the softer it falls?   My E-M1.2 and 12-40/40-150 f/2.8 zooms are heavier... but also heavier duty in terms of build. Anyway... let's hope neither of us has to do anymore drop tests!

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,224
Passing cameras to someone else - risky moment

sean000 wrote:

I know the feeling. I was sightseeing with my family and grandparents. I handed my E-M5 with 9-18mm to a family member so they could take a photo of my family in front of a fountain. As the camera was being handed back to me, somehow my 5-year-old took off and got tangled in the strap. The camera and lens hit the concrete very hard.

The ONLY time I've had to send a camera in for repair was when a friend and I bungled the exchange and it fell onto rocks.  I'm really careful since then, often holding it by two hands until I'm sure the other person has it, and using both hands for the return.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +15 more
KLH475 Senior Member • Posts: 1,196

Adrian Harris wrote:

had previously held the camera very low and didn't remember that the GX8 camera strap was no longer around my neck anymore as I swapped back to the em1-mk2.

That is very fortunate that everything still works perfectly. 
I don't know how many times I've somehow forgotten I didn't either have my camera around my neck or with the wrist strap and, thankfully, I've mostly caught myself as I was about to let go thinking it was attached to me. A couple of times I did let go and managed to catch it nearly instantly - totally surprising myself that my reflexes could be that fast!

Ken

roger2013 Regular Member • Posts: 170

A bit off topic but I once dropped a new Pen-F on to concrete. I had put a cheap wrist strap on it, and it came undone, so when my arm went down, the camera dropped from around knee height. A dent in the baseplate and no other visible damage. However, the screen did not work. It was as though something was disconnected. But it was a surprise how well it survived.

I returned it to Olympus, saying I expected to have to pay for the repair, though I was disappointed that it could not survive falling just a couple of feet. To my surprise, it was treated as a warranty repair and they never charged me. But I decided it was worth investing in a Peak Design wrist strap, which would be more reliable, and the one that had failed was thrown out.

Chas2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,634

You are lucky. Did the same with my G85 and the 12-60 kit lens snapped off.  Lens was a loss.  Body works fine

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +12 more
rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,341

Adrian, I fell off a bike with my GX8 and 14-140,  I smashing the CPL filter.  Unfortunately the lens proved to be obviously de-centered and AF seemed affected too.  My GX8 has been perfect, thankfully

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

AllFlawed Contributing Member • Posts: 584

In the recent Brazilian grand prix a camera with telephoto slipped out of one of the photographers hand or off their shoulders crashing to the ground in the after race melee with the driver up against the barrier. It looked like a Sony 70-400 but on a relatively slim body camera.

That hurt seeing it.

AllFlawed's gear list:AllFlawed's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +2 more

Which I mentioned a day ago

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63325592

Peter Del

AllFlawed Contributing Member • Posts: 584

Peter Del wrote:

Which I mentioned a day ago

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63325592

Peter Del

Sorry. Jumped in without reading thread.

AllFlawed's gear list:AllFlawed's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads