90D: How to change setting to start video using shutter release button?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Casey Cheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
90D: How to change setting to start video using shutter release button?

Can someone kindly give me the quick cheat tip on how to change the setting to start/stop shooting videos using the primary shutter release button instead of the "Start Stop" button to the right of the viewfinder? I'm trying to shoot video in selfie mode with LCD screen flipped outwards and lens pointing at me. It's pretty much impossible to press the tiny start/stop button at the back of the body. Thank you much!!

Deruch0331 Regular Member • Posts: 111
Re: 90D: How to change setting to start video using shutter release button?

I don't believe you can re-a-sign the start/stop function to the shutter release button on the 90D.  Good news is you can use the cheap Remote Control RC-6 to start and stop video.

You can get a copy of the RC-6 off of Amazon for very little money and then you can use it for video by following these directions for the remote.

http://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/remotes/canonrc6.html

Deruch0331's gear list:Deruch0331's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS Rebel T6i Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
OP Casey Cheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,420

Deruch0331 wrote:

I don't believe you can re-a-sign the start/stop function to the shutter release button on the 90D. Good news is you can use the cheap Remote Control RC-6 to start and stop video.

You can get a copy of the RC-6 off of Amazon for very little money and then you can use it for video by following these directions for the remote.

Thank you for your reply. But no way, you serious? On my Canon M50, I'm able to re-assign the tiny red video record button to the primary shutter release button to start/stop videos for shooting selfie videos. So I thought it must be possible to do the same on the 90D body.

Well, I'm guessing you must be correct, cuz I just spent the past hour pouring through the 600 page manual and couldn't find anything for re-assigning the "Start Stop" button. So I figured out how to improvise by cradling the 90D on my left palm, then using my left middle finger to press the Start/Stop button on the back of the body. Can anyone else think of a better method while handholding?

Also, thanks for your suggestion on using a remote controller. I already have the Canon BR-E1 remote control for my M50 camera, which works great. Looks like I'll be using the same BR-E1 remote for my 90D now!

Steve_tEkGuY Regular Member • Posts: 396

Casey Cheung wrote:

Can someone kindly give me the quick cheat tip on how to change the setting to start/stop shooting videos using the primary shutter release button instead of the "Start Stop" button to the right of the viewfinder? I'm trying to shoot video in selfie mode with LCD screen flipped outwards and lens pointing at me. It's pretty much impossible to press the tiny start/stop button at the back of the body. Thank you much!!

Yellow Wrench Option item 4

"Shutter btn function for Movies"

Here you can set half-press / fully press

If you set half press to meter + one shot AF which is ideal sometimes the video will not start recording if it can't focus. Not good for vlogging.

Steve_tEkGuY's gear list:Steve_tEkGuY's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM

Casey Cheung wrote:

Deruch0331 wrote:

I don't believe you can re-a-sign the start/stop function to the shutter release button on the 90D. Good news is you can use the cheap Remote Control RC-6 to start and stop video.

Thank you for your reply. But no way, you serious? On my Canon M50, I'm able to re-assign the tiny red video record button to the primary shutter release button to start/stop videos for shooting selfie videos. So I thought it must be possible to do the same on the 90D body.

Well, I'm guessing you must be correct, cuz I just spent the past hour pouring through the 600 page manual and couldn't find anything for re-assigning the "Start Stop" button. So I figured out how to improvise by cradling the 90D on my left palm, then using my left middle finger to press the Start/Stop button on the back of the body. Can anyone else think of a better method while handholding?

Also, thanks for your suggestion on using a remote controller. I already have the Canon BR-E1 remote control for my M50 camera, which works great. Looks like I'll be using the same BR-E1 remote for my 90D now!

You're welcome.  I also was surprised that it wasn't available on the 90D.  The BR-E1 is a good solution, it works pretty nice with mine also.

Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS Rebel T6i Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more

Steve_tEkGuY wrote:

Casey Cheung wrote:

If you set half press to meter + one shot AF which is ideal sometimes the video will not start recording if it can't focus. Not good for vlogging.

Its not showing up under the Yellow wrench option 4 on my 90D. Im also in video mode, so I have all the items associated with video.

It looks like that function of re-assigning the start/stop is only available on full frame DSLR cameras.

Steve_tEkGuY Regular Member • Posts: 396

I have the 90D and it works.

I can stop and start my videos with the shutter button. I'm in M manual mode and my start stop toggle is on the red video camera.

Page 283 in the 90D manual.

Steve_tEkGuY's gear list:Steve_tEkGuY's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Re: 90D: It works - Thank you!!!!!

Steve_tEkGuY wrote:

Casey Cheung wrote:

YES, that works!!! There is another menu below for "Fully-press" and change from "No function" to "Start/stop mov rec". This works perfectly to start/stop movies when pressing the shutter release button "all the way down".

I was so frustrated by this! Thank you!!!!

Casey Cheung wrote:

Steve_tEkGuY wrote:

Casey Cheung wrote:

YES, that works!!! There is another menu below for "Fully-press" and change from "No function" to "Start/stop mov rec". This works perfectly to start/stop movies when pressing the shutter release button "all the way down".

Thanks you for bringing that to my attention.  I searched threw the manual and didn't find anything.  I guess I flat out missed it ;(

I will be more careful answering in the future

Deruch0331 wrote:

Casey Cheung wrote:

Steve_tEkGuY wrote:

Casey Cheung wrote:

Thanks you for bringing that to my attention. I searched threw the manual and didn't find anything. I guess I flat out missed it ;(

I will be more careful answering in the future

No worries, thank you for everyone's effort!

I already feel welcomed to this 90D forum with useful help!

Just got my new 90D today from Best Buy store. I was dissatisfied with the limitations of the M50 camera, especially for shooting videos (ie: No dual pixel AF in 4k video shooting, Additional 1.6x crop in 4k video, No headphone out port, No live audio monitoring). Maybe other limitations too on the M50 camera, but these are the biggies.

Can't wait to start shooting with my new 90D! So far, I only have the cheapie 28mm f2.8 and 50 f1.8 lenses, nothing to brag about, but it will satisfy at least 70 percent of my shooting style. I used to have a large array of fast f2.8 zooms, but alas, that was for my old Nikon gear which I sold years ago.

I also have a slew of new Godox studio flash products that I will be using on the 90D body (previously used on my M50). These Godox items include: Godox AD200Pro flash (with bunch of light modifier accessories), Godox X2T remote transmitter, Godox TT685c flash, Godox SL-60W LED video light, Godox 24" softbox, plus a Phottix Raja 26" Octagon softbox.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads