35, 50 or Both?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
hermit383
hermit383 Contributing Member • Posts: 727
Re: 35, 50 or Both?

In my opinion the EF 50 1.2 L  is the most misunderstood lens. Literally coming on the form today for the first time in a while and I see people both trashing and loving it.

I'm of the mind that it's my favorite lens next to my 600 L IS II.

the 50 L IS razor sharp wide open at 1.2. However we need better vocabulary to describe lenses, as I'll write again..

What it does suffer from is not playing friendly with inexperienced photographers, and experiences photographers new to this lens as it has characteristics unlike many other lenses. Both good and "bad" ( not actually bad imo just a "quirk") . It produces a glowingness around subjects in certain lighting wide open and at close distances. People mistake this for "focus shift".. The point of highest resolution does NOT change when you open/ close the aperture. However what some people will incorrectly do is back focus the lens to see more contrast through the viewfinder which WILL lead to some degradation in resolution. Because the lens is out of focus now. Obviously..

The glowing around the subjects is easy to clean up by just adding contrast and tone curve. However the resolution is there, the detail is there. The micro contrast is all there.

Also. to answer your question I would want both 35 and 50. I'm looking to add a 35 prime soon, but I will probably add the 24 1.4L II.

Also I can't speak for the future, but i think there is a reason why we have professionals evaluating equipment. Most people don't have the tools to properly evaluate such things with nuance. life is not " sharp or soft"

hermit383's gear list:hermit383's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM +6 more
D3v1L Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: 35, 50 or Both?

I got 35 1.4 L II and 50 1.8 STM, i am using 35 almost for everything. 50 is more or less in the bag. I also have 85 1.4 L IS and am ising it more than 50mm.

I also did't know what to get at first. Just 50 1.2 L or 35/85. I still got my 17-40 L for weddings and that is it. If EF glass prices will fall down i will buy 50 1.2 L and 24 1.4 II L, and maybe 135 2 L

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads