Last colours of Autumn.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 10,960
Last colours of Autumn.

We've had some lovely colours this autumn in England, but the leaves are falling fast now, as is the light, so I took this opportunity to re-aquiant myself with my SD Quattro in conditions that favour it. I also took my 4x5 Intrepid and shot 4 sheets of black and white, but those are currently drying, Anyway, here are a few I liked which hopefully portray the last throws of autumn colour, I'm looking forward to crisp and misty mornings now.

absquatulate's gear list:absquatulate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Sigma sd Quattro Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
Sigma sd Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 24,659
Re: Last colours of Autumn.

Maybe the colours are a bit better than in life, but I like them. A highly successful set.

I presume you used the tripod for these ?

OP absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 10,960

D Cox wrote:

Maybe the colours are a bit better than in life, but I like them. A highly successful set.

I presume you used the tripod for these ?

Thanks, the colours are pretty close, yes, manually focused and on a tripod.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Sigma sd Quattro Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
SigmaChrome Forum Pro • Posts: 11,770

Magnificent work.

It's good to see some of wild England in its natural state.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Vitée
Capture all the light and colour!
http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro +35 more

SigmaChrome wrote:

Magnificent work.

Thanks, I'm documenting this forest as best I can, and whilst it still exists, it's an ancient forest and my favourite place to go and shoot. Co-incidentally it's rekindled my love hate relationship with the SDQ, I've come to the conclusion that's it's best shot like slide film, that's slowly and for certain things.

TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 8,715
Gorgeous set, nicely done!

How long until the fall?

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
larryj Forum Pro • Posts: 11,019

Beautiful and color rich set of images, thanks for sharing  I think this subject is a perfect match to the color capture values in the sd Quattro!  Which lens did you use?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
larryj
If you can see the light, you can photograph it
Quote from Myron Woods

larryj's gear list:larryj's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more
richard stone Veteran Member • Posts: 3,309

absquatulate wrote:

SigmaChrome wrote:

Magnificent work.

Thanks, I'm documenting this forest as best I can, and whilst it still exists, it's an ancient forest and my favourite place to go and shoot. Co-incidentally it's rekindled my love hate relationship with the SDQ, I've come to the conclusion that's it's best shot like slide film, that's slowly and for certain things.

Yes, the sdQ is the digital version of slide film. I almost always shot slides until I sort of got away from that on my MF shots and shots of my small children.

With the Q you want even lighting and not too much contrast in the scene. The camera/sensor provides more than enough contrast. Your images are great examples of that. The first one is just perfect, as far as I am concerned.

-- hide signature --
 richard stone's gear list:richard stone's gear list
Sigma SD10 Sigma sd Quattro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art

richard stone wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

SigmaChrome wrote:

Magnificent work.

Yes, the sdQ is the digital version of slide film. I almost always shot slides until I sort of got away from that on my MF shots and shots of my small children.

With the Q you want even lighting and not too much contrast in the scene. The camera/sensor provides more than enough contrast. Your images are great examples of that. The first one is just perfect, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks Richard, it doesn't take much to blow the highlights on this camera, but just like slide film, it compensates in other areas and it just nails colour so nicely. I rarely need to do much in the way of PP.

Re: Gorgeous set, nicely done!

TN Args wrote:

How long until the fall?

Thanks, ironically I discovered "Fall" is a term that originated from Britain, it exists in Samuel Johnson's original dictionary apparently. However, no-one uses it here, we've always used Autumn in my lifetime and it's a distinctly US term for us.

larryj wrote:

Beautiful and color rich set of images, thanks for sharing I think this subject is a perfect match to the color capture values in the sd Quattro! Which lens did you use?

Thanks Larry, they were all taken with the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8. It's not a perfect lens, it suffers from green flare and can vary on the edges. AF is also a bit pedestrian on the SDQ. That being said, it's very sharp and if you stick it on a tripod and manually focus it becomes an excellent lens with a nice range. Much as I'd like to have the Sigma 18-35mm it's range is too limiting for me and I don't need the faster maximum aperture. The good thing about shooting on the SDQ is that it has nice leeway for cropping the sides if necessary and I often shoot 1:1 aspect ratio anyway. I also use the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG APO Macro , it has an annoying rotating front element and you can't auto-focus it on the SDQ, but it is an excellent lens, which is cheap as chips, and on a tripod it performs way above it's price point. It's my F11 and be there telephoto option.

richard stone Veteran Member • Posts: 3,309

absquatulate wrote:

larryj wrote:

Beautiful and color rich set of images, thanks for sharing I think this subject is a perfect match to the color capture values in the sd Quattro! Which lens did you use?

Thanks Larry, they were all taken with the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8. It's not a perfect lens, it suffers from green flare and can vary on the edges. AF is also a bit pedestrian on the SDQ. That being said, it's very sharp and if you stick it on a tripod and manually focus it becomes an excellent lens with a nice range. Much as I'd like to have the Sigma 18-35mm it's range is too limiting for me and I don't need the faster maximum aperture. The good thing about shooting on the SDQ is that it has nice leeway for cropping the sides if necessary and I often shoot 1:1 aspect ratio anyway. I also use the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG APO Macro , it has an annoying rotating front element and you can't auto-focus it on the SDQ, but it is an excellent lens, which is cheap as chips, and on a tripod it performs way above it's price point. It's my F11 and be there telephoto option.

As for the 17-50 2.8 OS, yes, it is very sharp. In portraits almost too much. I don't understand the AF issues in the sdQ, but when it is in focus, wow is it sharp. Every time I have set up some sort of test to try to figure out the focus issues  (on the sdQ) it works great. Leaving me to wonder why I wasted my time.

-- hide signature --
 richard stone's gear list:richard stone's gear list
Sigma SD10 Sigma sd Quattro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art

richard stone wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

larryj wrote:

Thanks Larry, they were all taken with the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8. It's not a perfect lens, it suffers from green flare and can vary on the edges. AF is also a bit pedestrian on the SDQ. That being said, it's very sharp and if you stick it on a tripod and manually focus it becomes an excellent lens with a nice range. Much as I'd like to have the Sigma 18-35mm it's range is too limiting for me and I don't need the faster maximum aperture. The good thing about shooting on the SDQ is that it has nice leeway for cropping the sides if necessary and I often shoot 1:1 aspect ratio anyway. I also use the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG APO Macro , it has an annoying rotating front element and you can't auto-focus it on the SDQ, but it is an excellent lens, which is cheap as chips, and on a tripod it performs way above it's price point. It's my F11 and be there telephoto option.

As for the 17-50 2.8 OS, yes, it is very sharp. In portraits almost too much. I don't understand the AF issues in the sdQ, but when it is in focus, wow is it sharp. Every time I have set up some sort of test to try to figure out the focus issues (on the sdQ) it works great. Leaving me to wonder why I wasted my time.

It is one of those lenses listed by Sigma that isn't guaranteed to work fully effectively on the SDQ. I find it can miss focus by just a tiny amount, but enough to be noticeable, sometimes it does it, sometimes it's fine. Manually focusing it using focus peaking on a tripod eliminates that. Although the SDQ EVF isn't the best I have no problem hitting focus bang on using it with focus peaking. There are a shortage of options for the SDQ, and it's getting worse, but I have the 10-20mm F3.5-5.6, the 17-50mm, 70-300mm and 30mm F1.4 so I have enough for what I shoot. None of these lenses are perfect but if you shoot them to their strengths they're all capable of excellent results.

larryj Forum Pro • Posts: 11,019

absquatulate wrote:

larryj wrote:

I agree the 70-300 mm APO lens is very good. It is the lens I used to take the series of Mountain Goats images I posted a couple of week ago! My wife still uses it on her SD15 and gets very good images.

This lens was part of a kit I pickup on eBay in 2006 along with a SD9

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
larryj
If you can see the light, you can photograph it
Quote from Myron Woods

larryj's gear list:larryj's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 8,715

absquatulate wrote:

TN Args wrote:

How long until the fall?

Thanks, ironically I discovered "Fall" is a term that originated from Britain, it exists in Samuel Johnson's original dictionary apparently. However, no-one uses it here, we've always used Autumn in my lifetime and it's a distinctly US term for us.

I was referring to the leaves in your photos...

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more

TN Args wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

TN Args wrote:

How long until the fall?

I was referring to the leaves in your photos...

It seems like a bizarre question to me, how would I know? they're thinning out fast now, just like always.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads