New Computer setup

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
TimothyW1960 New Member • Posts: 3
New Computer setup

I am getting a new computer after things finally slowed to a crawl with the addition of Premiere Pro.

Intel Core i9 9900 5.0 Ghz

WD Black 6 TB HD

m.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD

Samsung QVO 860 1 TB SSD

64 GB DDR4 RAM

Quaddro P2000 Video Card

Given these parts some suggestions on how best to set up to take advantage of the drives and their speeds. I use Photoshop CC, Premiere, and also my CAD program  Key Creator V 19, although Key Creator is very friendly on systems.  I can probably figure it out but figure I will get better advice here.

Also advice on storing media on External HD's I suspect most here have everything backed up on external HD's, but does accessing files from external HD's slow down processing, or once opened do they run from an internal drive.

gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,037
Re: New Computer setup
2

TimothyW1960 wrote:

I am getting a new computer after things finally slowed to a crawl with the addition of Premiere Pro.

Intel Core i9 9900 5.0 Ghz

WD Black 6 TB HD

m.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD

Samsung QVO 860 1 TB SSD

64 GB DDR4 RAM

Quaddro P2000 Video Card

Given these parts some suggestions on how best to set up to take advantage of the drives and their speeds. I use Photoshop CC, Premiere, and also my CAD program Key Creator V 19, although Key Creator is very friendly on systems. I can probably figure it out but figure I will get better advice here.

Also advice on storing media on External HD's I suspect most here have everything backed up on external HD's, but does accessing files from external HD's slow down processing, or once opened do they run from an internal drive.

A few thoughts:

  • Use the m.2 970 EVO for C: drive only (Windows and program installs). Don't store any working data on it. This will keep data easier to backup and keep C: drive cleaner.
  • The other 1TB SSD would be a 'working drive' for stuff you're actively working on. Move them to the HDD when you are done and they are basically 'archived' on your system. This is the best way to manage the limited fast storage.
  • Backup the 1TB working drive to the HDD so you have redundancy.  Many free backup utilities make this an easy task.
  • Ditch the Samsung QVO drive and get a Samsung EVO, Crucial MX500, or a Sandisk 3D Ultra instead. Same price if not cheaper and all are much better performers with greater endurance. The QVO drives are not well regarded. Or even get a second NVMe drive instead of the SATA drive, the price difference is minimal.  Most new MOBOs have at least two m.2 slots these days.
  • Just get a large external HDD for your data backup. Preferably two: one at the PC and one you keep offsite, back it up monthly at minimum. If disaster strikes (like your house burns down), your data is safe in another place. Cloud storage is another option.
-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +11 more
robertfel Senior Member • Posts: 1,446
MX500

I agree, ditch the QVO for an MX500. Same price, better performance for the 1TB 2.5". The 860 EVO is great, but definitely more money.

Though there are variations for different sizes and m.2 form factor.

What's your motherboard? Do you have room for another m.2? And is it NVME or SATA?

I went AMD 3900x with PCIE 4.0 NVME, but your CPU should serve you fine.

 robertfel's gear list:robertfel's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,197
Re: New Computer setup

It is not clear what you mean by computer slowdown.

Some slowdown is OS cruff related, some due to the time i/o takes regardless of storage media and worse over any external bus. Some is due to the way the user does things or unrealistic user expectations. The way hardware  tests are done feeds the latter.

Adding cores will improve rendering times but will not change whatever bottleneck the i/o is causing with the drives you have and the buses they are on. Exporting rendered video from any form of SSD to mass mechanical storage as you know should be done in the background so no impact on getting the actual job done.

Adding cores or upping the clock a few hundred cycles will make nil real world difference in PS/LR.

Staying on your current platform and plugging in the top Intel offering may also yield underwhelmingly different real world throughput,

 bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Nikon Z6
WryCuda Veteran Member • Posts: 9,231
Re: New Computer setup

TimothyW1960 wrote:

Also advice on storing media on External HDs I suspect most here have everything backed up on external HDs, but does accessing files from external HDs slow down processing, or once opened do they run from an internal drive.

Usual practice is to do a preliminary manual transfer of files from external drives to working folders on either the SSD or internal HDD, so access speed is not a concern.

External HDDs would be in USB3 enclosures, and transfer speed is quite fast, for example if you wanted to rework a particular folder.

I have archived photos and data backups on network servers, so if I need to grab old stuff, it's available at Gbit speed. Naturally, I keep external backups as well.

Your planned computer sounds interesting. If it were not for your video requirement, I'd suggest having a single SSD rather than two.

 WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 16,007
Re: New Computer setup

Sounds very similar to a rig I built in January, based on good advice I got here.  I'm still pleased with it.

I got a 1TB m.2 drive and used it for the OS (Windows 10).

I got a 2 TB SATA SSD drive and used it for drive D, my working drive.   I have redirected downloads, pictures, and some other Windows defaults to this drive, and I do pretty much all my photo post-processing here.

I already had a 4TB SATA HDD - but it was full of photos last year and couldn't hold more.  At that point I was on the end of a long chain of hard drive upgrades, getting progressively larger and inevitably filling up.   I use the 4TB drive as a E drive now, and it's dedicated to holding my photos.  I offloaded videos and other stuff to make space.

To solve my storage and backup issues, I built - at a pretty good expense of $1800 - a QNAP NAS with 27TB of RAID5 storage.  I back THAT up to 6TB in an existing NAS, until it fills.   The QNAP is primary storage for some types of files, including videos.   So I still need other backup, but for now I have lots and lots of free space.

I've also got a laptop and two other desktops that have SSD boot drives and 1TB or larger HDD's.    The laptop only has 128GB for its boot drive, but it is working fine, as long as I save to the 1TB hard drive.   Same with the desktops, though they tend to have plenty of space for the OS at 500GB.

The trick is to change some windows defaults to redirect downloads and the like to the hdd.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
WryCuda Veteran Member • Posts: 9,231
Re: New Computer setup

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:W

I've also got a laptop and two other desktops that have SSD boot drives and 1TB or larger HDD's. The laptop only has 128GB for its boot drive, but it is working fine, as long as I save to the 1TB hard drive. Same with the desktops, though they tend to have plenty of space for the OS at 500GB.

The trick is to change some windows defaults to redirect downloads and the like to the hdd.

Man, you have some storage!

I also have a laptop with 128Gb SSD and 2Tb HDD. Since it's mainly used for Office stuff and browsing, standard Windows defaults haven't caused an issue with the  small boot drive. The laptop runs Office 365 and several "graphics-lite" programs; data goes to the HDD, of course.

It's quite a trend these days for consumer grade laptops to come with just a single SSD, and most seem happy with 256 or 512Gb. Quite likely that some don't know what's inside.

 WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
Nikman20 Regular Member • Posts: 166
Re: New Computer setup

I built a similar PC last year and wanted to have a strong backup system. The best option for me was to have M.2 SSD for C and another to back up the C drive as a disc image.

My photo data is stored on a pair of 4Tb internal drives set up as a Windows 10 storage space.  This is a software type raid 1 that is built into Win 10 and is simple to set up and use.  I have another pair of external 4Tb's also as a storage space backing up the internal data drives.  This means all my photo data is mirrored to 4 physical drives automatically.

WryCuda Veteran Member • Posts: 9,231
Re: New Computer setup

Nikman20 wrote:

I built a similar PC last year and wanted to have a strong backup system. The best option for me was to have M.2 SSD for C and another to back up the C drive as a disc image.

My photo data is stored on a pair of 4Tb internal drives set up as a Windows 10 storage space. This is a software type raid 1 that is built into Win 10 and is simple to set up and use. I have another pair of external 4Tb's also as a storage space backing up the internal data drives. This means all my photo data is mirrored to 4 physical drives automatically.

Impressive. Can your backup system recover from bad data, accidental deletion or a ransomware attack?

I prefer to backup manually across the network, keeping historical copies of data.

 WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
OP TimothyW1960 New Member • Posts: 3
Re: New Computer setup

I went ahead and ordered my computer. One 1tb M2 ssd, two 1tb ssd's and one 6g HDD

Running Windows 10, Photoshop CC, and Premiere Pro and Keycreator 2019 ( CAD )

These and other programs should all be on the M2 SSD if I am not mistaken. Which is best for a scratch disc?

Thanks

OP TimothyW1960 New Member • Posts: 3
Re: New Computer setup

I fine tuned my new computer, with 2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus  M2 1 TB drives, 1 Samsung 860 EV 1 TB SSD and a WD Black 6 TB HDD. 
Using Photoshop CC and Premiere Pro, any suggestions on the best utilization of these drives?  I will have the OS on one of the M2 drives. Previous replies about workflow are very helpful but my first iteration did not have two M2 drives. With a new machine I want to get a good start!

Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads