What Fuji camera to purchase with best JPEG?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
AshleyMC Regular Member • Posts: 444
Re: What Fuji camera to purchase with best JPEG?

SOOC JPEG: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63176600

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63289734

The film simulations are great (and unique to Fujifilm), especially the B&W varieties.

OP Magic777 Junior Member • Posts: 44

AshleyMC wrote:

Easy: Any of the recent ones: X-T2, X-T3, X-T20, X-T30, X-Pro2, X-E3, X-H1...

Even the small and inexpensive X-T100 that I like so much. I also use X-Pro2 and X-E3.

I shoot Raw + Fine JPG. In most cases, I either use the OOC JPG images “as is” or apply minor edits to them. The Raw files are there for me to do full post-processing on some rare cases where the images are so special to me that I want to edit in detail.

So, the question should rather be based around your preferred genre of photography and style of camera body, on top of your budget.

Speaking of budget, you should carefully consider and acquire a number of lenses. These will determine the “best” quality of your images for certain scenarios.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your comment.

X-T30 is first of my options list as recent one and with good list of features (I am looking at kit with 18-55 OIS lens).

After that I will add more lenses if needed.

My exact intention is to continue shoot RAW+JPEG (as you do) and go to the RAW post processing in a "rare" cases.

BTW, now I need to process about 25% of my shoots while 75% looks good enough coming as JPEG from my Nikons.

But I need to deal with every single photo - they are shoot under different  conditions and can't be proceeded as a batch.

So if I will be able to get 90% good JPEGs with Fuji -it will be great.

I see that this Forum members have more than one Fuji bodies.

Possibly I will add another one in the future- when my experience with Fiji camera will show how this one fits my needs.

AshleyMC wrote:

SOOC JPEG: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63176600

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63289734

The film simulations are great (and unique to Fujifilm), especially the B&W varieties.

Thanks a lot for sending these links!

So many great yours and other people photos!

I need to choose and order my new camera as soon as possible:)

miroshi Contributing Member • Posts: 587

Les Lammers wrote:

Low weight and small size of camera are secondary. Most important is IQ of JPEG files SOOC.

Since you are coming from Nikon consider the XH-1. There are great deals on it now.

Not necessary, I spent 8 years with DSLR, and after less an year with XT body I am very happy with it.

And if you miss the grip, you can get one later.

-- hide signature --

"It isn’t the camera that makes the pictures great, it’s you." - Dan Bailey
phototravels-bg.com

miroshi's gear list:miroshi's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more

miroshi wrote:

Les Lammers wrote:

Low weight and small size of camera are secondary. Most important is IQ of JPEG files SOOC.

Since you are coming from Nikon consider the XH-1. There are great deals on it now.

Not necessary, I spent 8 years with DSLR, and after less an year with XT body I am very happy with it.

Thank you!

I have used small Olympus ultra zoom cameras like SP-565 and it was absolutely comfortable in hands (was good for hiking, travel and even street photography).

So small size is really not a problem for me while grip looks like good option (if needed in the future).

Threaded Senior Member • Posts: 3,062

Interesting that people keep saying “any of the recent Fuji’s”.

I’ve owned and used Fuji’s of every generation, primarily for JPEG’s. XE1, X-Pro1, XE2, XT1, X-Pro2 (for the past couple of years) and now X-T3.

The other day I was kindly given an old XE1 from a friend and have been playing around with it alongside my XT3 (which I don’t consider to be particularly different to my X-Pro2 for IQ). I don’t know if it’s the white balance, lower res, or some other aspect of the colour science or processing, but for all its flaws I pretty much always prefer the look of the XE1’s images out of camera. I didn’t want it to be this way, but I think it is.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,895

miroshi wrote:

Les Lammers wrote:

I sold the grip and kept the two extra batteries. The XH-1 has a higher rez EVF and an excellent shutter. *I* prefer it to the XT-2 I had and sold. It's really not that much larger and, IMHO, feels better in the hand.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 +9 more

Threaded wrote:

I’ve owned and used Fuji’s of every generation, primarily for JPEG’s. XE1, X-Pro1, XE2, XT1, X-Pro2 (for the past couple of years) and now X-T3.

The other day I was kindly given an old XE1 from a friend and have been playing around with it alongside my XT3 (which I don’t consider to be particularly different to my X-Pro2 for IQ). I don’t know if it’s the white balance, lower res, or some other aspect of the colour science or processing, but for all its flaws I pretty much always prefer the look of the XE1’s images out of camera. I didn’t want it to be this way, but I think it is.

This is interesting observation.

Most of my best JPEG photos (some even printed in size of  30x40 cm ) were done with my old Olympus C-750 UZ (4 Mp only). Surely photographed in the  day light but colors are excellent.

Les Lammers wrote:

miroshi wrote:

Les Lammers wrote:

I sold the grip and kept the two extra batteries. The XH-1 has a higher rez EVF and an excellent shutter. *I* prefer it to the XT-2 I had and sold. It's really not that much larger and, IMHO, feels better in the hand.

Thanks again for your recommendation.

For my first Fuji camera I would like to buy and get familiar with something different from my current Nikons (for example -D750), So smaller X-T30 looks like good option to start with.

ikaika777
ikaika777 Senior Member • Posts: 2,319

Threaded wrote:

I recommended the newer models because of Acros and Classic Chrome film sims since the OP is interested in mostly SOOC Jpegs. But yes I’ve seen some beautiful shots coming from the 16 mp Fuji’s.

-- hide signature --

After all is said and done and your photo is hanging on the wall, no one is going to know or care what camera, lens, or what post processing you used. All they care about is if the image moves them.
I’m not hung up on the Bokeh fad because I’m too busy chasing shadows.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +15 more
Jakes Senior Member • Posts: 1,977

ikaika777 wrote:

Threaded wrote:

I recommended the newer models because of Acros and Classic Chrome film sims since the OP is interested in mostly SOOC Jpegs. But yes I’ve seen some beautiful shots coming from the 16 mp Fuji’s.

I shoot jpegs only. I prefer the results of the xe2 and the Xt10 over the xt20 or xt100 all of which I own.

-- hide signature --

jakes
WSSA# 107

ikaika777
ikaika777 Senior Member • Posts: 2,319

Jakes wrote:

ikaika777 wrote:

Threaded wrote:

I shoot jpegs only. I prefer the results of the xe2 and the Xt10 over the xt20 or xt100 all of which I own.

Well some people, like myself, love Acros and Classic Chrome.

-- hide signature --

After all is said and done and your photo is hanging on the wall, no one is going to know or care what camera, lens, or what post processing you used. All they care about is if the image moves them.
I’m not hung up on the Bokeh fad because I’m too busy chasing shadows.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +15 more
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 1,402

Magic777 wrote:

Using both FX and DX Nikon cameras for last 15 years, I would like to add a Fuji system.

Good choice - I made the same transition and I'm happy.

I am shooting RAW+JPEG.

With all my Nikon cameras ability to fine tune the images inside the camera and by using different Picture Controls etc, I still not able to get JPEGs which will be good enough (al least for my taste). Still need to proceed RAW files to get intended results.

Hmm. I always enjoyed Nikon's JPG output. And the small file sizes I can get too without any serious loss in quality.

Due some reasons I can't spend a hours against computer monitor and proceed my RAW files so I need to get a best JPEG imaged straight from the camera with no post-processing (or with as less as possible).

After reading some reviews and opinions on the forums I see that many people highly valuated Fuji cameras exactly for good quality JPEG photos.

So my question- what is the best Fuji body/lens to get good IQ photos straight from the camera?

You asked two questions - let's address them both.

Which Fuji offers the best SOOC JPGs?

Fuji has 3 generations of sensor near as I can tell. The 16 megapixel X-Trans, the 24 megapixel X-Trans and the 26 megapixel X-Trans. They have some Bayers in there as well.

Find the 16 megapixel generation to have a ... less punchy and saturated output, which I prefer depending on the situation. The 16 megapixel generation is very Nikon-esque and reminds me of the Nikon D7000 (but sharper because of the lack of AA filter).

Which Fuji offers the best JPG controls?

I can't speak to every camera model, but they generally give you the ability to control (for a given color mode)

• Highlight
  • Shadow
  • Color
  • Sharpness

From -2 to +2

The 24 megapixel sensor gives you the ability to re-process RAW files in camera, which is incredibly useful. You can process a single RAW file to a number of different settings, bring them into your computer to compare.

Then you can keep those settings forever.

I suppose you could do that just by taking the same photo with every different setting you want, but it really depends on your subject. Landscapes? Sure. Humans? You would test their patience.

Photography is my serious hobby and I intend to buy different Fuji lenses as well.

I am shooting a lot during travels (means landscapes and street photography) and some events.

Not interested in video.

User's practical recommendations will be highly appreciated.

PS. I put same question on the Forum "Camera...buying Advice" and got recommendation to ask directly on the Fuji X-System Forum

The more modern the camera, the more options you get. The 24 megapixel generation adds faux grain for example. Each generation adds a new film simulation mode (or two).

So I would go for the most recent (26 megapixel) generation for maximum control. I actually quite like the look of Classic Negative - it's the film sim I'd been waiting for since they first launched film simulations.

A non-Fuji option, the Olmypus Pen-F has the most control over colors of any camera on the market (that I know of). They give you a color wheel where you can dial in the saturation of any of a dozen individual tones.

The one thing holding this back from being perfect for dialing in just about any color tone you want is that you can't also shift the tones (moving blues more towards cyan for example).

But that's a whole other lens ecosystem & the Pen-F isn't weather sealed etc.

-- hide signature --

"Wait let me comb my hair and put on a tie."
It Gets Nerdy: https://medium.com/ice-cream-geometry
Sometimes I take photos: https://www.instagram.com/sodiumstudio/

saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Epson R-D1 +5 more

Jakes wrote:

ikaika777 wrote:

Threaded wrote:

Thanks you! It is important to get first hand opinion from JPEG shooter.

I would like to start with last generation camera and possibly  will add later another (and cheaper) body. I also got better JPEGs from Nikon D7000  (16 Mp) than from current D750 (24 Mp)

saltydogstudios wrote:

Magic777 wrote:

Using both FX and DX Nikon cameras for last 15 years, I would like to add a Fuji system.

I am shooting RAW+JPEG.

With all my Nikon cameras ability to fine tune the images inside the camera and by using different Picture Controls etc, I still not able to get JPEGs which will be good enough (al least for my taste). Still need to proceed RAW files to get intended results.

Hmm. I always enjoyed Nikon's JPG output. And the small file sizes I can get too without any serious loss in quality.

Due some reasons I can't spend a hours against computer monitor and proceed my RAW files so I need to get a best JPEG imaged straight from the camera with no post-processing (or with as less as possible).

After reading some reviews and opinions on the forums I see that many people highly valuated Fuji cameras exactly for good quality JPEG photos.

So my question- what is the best Fuji body/lens to get good IQ photos straight from the camera?

Fuji has 3 generations of sensor near as I can tell. The 16 megapixel X-Trans, the 24 megapixel X-Trans and the 26 megapixel X-Trans. They have some Bayers in there as well.

Find the 16 megapixel generation to have a ... less punchy and saturated output, which I prefer depending on the situation. The 16 megapixel generation is very Nikon-esque and reminds me of the Nikon D7000 (but sharper because of the lack of AA filter).

I can't speak to every camera model, but they generally give you the ability to control (for a given color mode)

• Highlight
  • Shadow
  • Color
  • Sharpness

From -2 to +2

The 24 megapixel sensor gives you the ability to re-process RAW files in camera, which is incredibly useful. You can process a single RAW file to a number of different settings, bring them into your computer to compare.

I suppose you could do that just by taking the same photo with every different setting you want, but it really depends on your subject. Landscapes? Sure. Humans? You would test their patience.

Photography is my serious hobby and I intend to buy different Fuji lenses as well.

I am shooting a lot during travels (means landscapes and street photography) and some events.

Not interested in video.

PS. I put same question on the Forum "Camera...buying Advice" and got recommendation to ask directly on the Fuji X-System Forum

The more modern the camera, the more options you get. The 24 megapixel generation adds faux grain for example. Each generation adds a new film simulation mode (or two).

So I would go for the most recent (26 megapixel) generation for maximum control. I actually quite like the look of Classic Negative - it's the film sim I'd been waiting for since they first launched film simulations.

A non-Fuji option, the Olmypus Pen-F has the most control over colors of any camera on the market (that I know of). They give you a color wheel where you can dial in the saturation of any of a dozen individual tones.

The one thing holding this back from being perfect for dialing in just about any color tone you want is that you can't also shift the tones (moving blues more towards cyan for example).

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation and recommendations.

One note about Nikon JPEGs.  I was also satisfied with them in the past-  got better JPEGs from Nikon D7000 (16 Mp) than from current D750 (24 Mp) or D5xxx cameras.

To summarize all recommendations and opinions I have received so far-  my initial thoughts to start with X-T30 were correct. As you said- last generation with 26 MP sensor and added film simulation modes.

Best regards!

miroshi Contributing Member • Posts: 587

Magic777 wrote:

Jakes wrote:

ikaika777 wrote:

Threaded wrote:

Thanks you! It is important to get first hand opinion from JPEG shooter.

I would like to start with last generation camera and possibly will add later another (and cheaper) body. I also got better JPEGs from Nikon D7000 (16 Mp) than from current D750 (24 Mp)

I shoot JPEG+RAW but use the SOOCJ almost all the time, if you need I can share lot of image (check the site in the signature) taken with Pentax, Nikon and Fuji.

-- hide signature --

"It isn’t the camera that makes the pictures great, it’s you." - Dan Bailey
phototravels-bg.com

miroshi's gear list:miroshi's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,729

saltydogstudios wrote:

Magic777 wrote:

I am shooting RAW+JPEG.

• Highlight
  • Shadow
  • Color
  • Sharpness

From -2 to +2

The 24 megapixel sensor gives you the ability to re-process RAW files in camera, which is incredibly useful.

Are you suggesting that this capability isn't present in all X-cameras?  I was doing it with my X-E1, which was 16 megapixels.

You can process a single RAW file to a number of different settings, bring them into your computer to compare.

Not interested in video.

-- hide signature --

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more

Thanks Miroshi,

I looked at your site and photo albums. Lot  of good photos, thanks.

OP here. Many thanks to  Forum members again for all your inputs, opinions and recommendations.

I have  decided to purchase X-T30  with 18-55 OIS lens.

Hopefully this camera will provide me with good JPEGs and I will enjoy other Fuji system capabilities as well.

At some point I will add more lenses- started to think about one or two primes.

So my question now is this- do I need to wait for Black Friday or Christmas  sales to get better price for camera and lens ?

saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 1,402

bowportes wrote:

saltydogstudios wrote:

<big snip>

The 24 megapixel sensor gives you the ability to re-process RAW files in camera, which is incredibly useful.

Are you suggesting that this capability isn't present in all X-cameras? I was doing it with my X-E1, which was 16 megapixels.

You can process a single RAW file to a number of different settings, bring them into your computer to compare.

I may be confused - Fuji also added the ability to hook the camera up to the computer and use the camera's JPG engine to produce RAW conversions. That may be the thing that I was thinking of that was added.

Thank you for the correction.

-- hide signature --

saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Epson R-D1 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads