Have any of you experienced the "Error 20" problem?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
LaszloBencze
LaszloBencze Contributing Member • Posts: 822
Have any of you experienced the "Error 20" problem?

I had sent my 5D MK IV to CPS for a standard clean and check and received it a couple of days ago. After shooting about thirty frames, "Error 20" pops up and the camera freezes. It says "Turn camera off and on. Remove and replace battery." I did both things several times and the Error 20 persisted. The message even stayed on the back screen after I turned the camera off!

A quick Google search revealed that many other people have had the same problem and that it often persisted even after the camera was supposedly fixed by Canon. A few people had to send it in three times!

Fortunately CPS agreed to work on the problem and sent me a Fed Ex return at their expense. Obviously, I will be testing this camera with great diligence when it gets back to me.

Have any of you experienced this?

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LaszloBencze
OP LaszloBencze Contributing Member • Posts: 822
Re: Have any of you experienced the "Error 20" problem?

In case anyone is interested, I found out from CPS that the mirror box was out of position. They repositioned the mirror box and are sending the camera back to me.

However, apparently "Error 20" has to do with any mechanical issues. So if it pops up, the problem is serious and will require a Canon repair.

Pocket Lint Contributing Member • Posts: 695

LaszloBencze wrote:

In case anyone is interested, I found out from CPS that the mirror box was out of position. They repositioned the mirror box and are sending the camera back to me.

However, apparently "Error 20" has to do with any mechanical issues. So if it pops up, the problem is serious and will require a Canon repair.

How much did it cost? I’m a non-CPS member so it would be nice to know just in case.

-- hide signature --

I just got in to photography and I love the artistic and technical aspect of it.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +2 more
LaszloBencze

Pocket Lint wrote:

LaszloBencze wrote:

How much did it cost? I’m a non-CPS member so it would be nice to know just in case.

It was a free repair including shipping to and from CPS. Clearly they accepted responsibility for the problem. There are many advantages to being a CPS member that make it well worth the $100 per year fee assuming you are a serious photographer with several lenses. Canon will clean and check any of your registered gear for free. All you have to do is pay for shipping to them.

G Dickson Contributing Member • Posts: 755

LaszloBencze wrote:

Had the same with my 1DMIV after many years hard use.  Ended up getting a new mirror box.  Wasn't a cheap repair.

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +12 more
LaszloBencze

G Dickson wrote:

Had the same with my 1DMIV after many years hard use. Ended up getting a new mirror box. Wasn't a cheap repair.

Interesting. Had you ever dropped your camera or subjected it to severe shock? I certainly never dropped mine. Although I once had a ID MK II fall off a tripod onto a concrete sidewalk with no issues at all, not even a scratch.

It would be disappointing if the 5D MK IV is less robust than other Canon bodies.

Peter1956 New Member • Posts: 23

Not sure if this is relevant but i had both error 20 and 30 on a 80D. Despite switching off taking battery out etc still would not work. Only after a few hours it came back to life. Sent it back to Canon they changed the shutter mechanism.

After a while the fault recurred . Back to Canon it went   and they changed the mirror box assembly .

The fault did nor recur but ever since the repair my photos on all Canon lenses were not as sharp as before. The non Canon ones were find.

After all of this i traded it in for a 5Dmk4 which has been spot on so far after over a year of extensive use. To this day i do not know what the fault was or its cause as Canon would not answer that question .

Peter

Peter1956's gear list:Peter1956's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
LaszloBencze

Peter1956 wrote:

Not sure if this is relevant but i had both error 20 and 30 on a 80D. Despite switching off taking battery out etc still would not work. Only after a few hours it came back to life. Sent it back to Canon they changed the shutter mechanism.

After a while the fault recurred . Back to Canon it went and they changed the mirror box assembly .

The fault did nor recur but ever since the repair my photos on all Canon lenses were not as sharp as before. The non Canon ones were find.

After all of this i traded it in for a 5Dmk4 which has been spot on so far after over a year of extensive use. To this day i do not know what the fault was or its cause as Canon would not answer that question .

Peter

Like yourself, I did ask Canon what might have caused the mirror box problem but they had no response. I will check to make sure that the auto focus is spot on. I usually do that by focusing a fast lens on the TV screen. If focus is spot on, you see the dot pattern. Will let you know how it works out.

LaszloBencze

After a while the fault recurred . Back to Canon it went and they changed the mirror box assembly .

OK. I just checked focus on my 5D MK IV. Everything works fine with my Canon lens and also with my Zeiss Otus. Perfect focus. I'm relieved.

G Dickson Contributing Member • Posts: 755

LaszloBencze wrote:

G Dickson wrote:

Had the same with my 1DMIV after many years hard use. Ended up getting a new mirror box. Wasn't a cheap repair.

Interesting. Had you ever dropped your camera or subjected it to severe shock? I certainly never dropped mine. Although I once had a ID MK II fall off a tripod onto a concrete sidewalk with no issues at all, not even a scratch.

It would be disappointing if the 5D MK IV is less robust than other Canon bodies.

I had never dropped it.  Interestingly (and a bit disappointing) is that I am pretty sure the AF is not as sure footed as before after the mirror box change.

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +12 more
Peter1956 New Member • Posts: 23

Good news glad all ok it was weird non canon manual lenses were fine but Canon ones were not 100%. Still would to love to know what the problem was . Camera has gone but just out of interest

Peter

Peter1956's gear list:Peter1956's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
LaszloBencze

As I explained, both Canon lenses and my sole non Canon lens focus just fine. I have no idea what caused the mirror to go out of alignment. I was not having any trouble with the camera at all when I sent to Canon for "clean and check."  It came back to me with the Error 20 problem. Maybe it suffered a shock in shipment back to me that cause the mirror problem. Although I've never had any of my cameras which I've sent to Canon many times return with a weird problem like this.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads