Nikon Z 85mm 1.8 S vs 1.8G F-mount (optics)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 3,460
Nikon Z 85mm 1.8 S vs 1.8G F-mount (optics)

I'm sure this has been discussed to death but was wondering what people thought about the new Z 85mm compared to the F-mount version?

I'm looking to get one, but I Know the older 85mm 1.8 is about half the price of a Z version right now (using the FTZ doesn't bother me that much so I'd be OK with the older one if the optics are similar).

Thoughts?  (I'm doing this as a way to not have to carry around my 70-200 all the time, and in particular, when I'm working in a static environment, like a studio).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +16 more
MisterHairy Senior Member • Posts: 2,380
Re: Nikon Z 85mm 1.8 S vs 1.8G F-mount (optics)

Knocks it into a cocked hat.

-- hide signature --

What a crock these forums really are!

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R III Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +14 more
visualenvy Regular Member • Posts: 280

While the F version is cheap and sharp the biggest issue I have experienced with it is the horrible CA.

The S version has none from what I have seen so far.

visualenvy's gear list:visualenvy's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D700 Nikon D5200 Sony a6000 Nikon D500 +13 more
HRS Regular Member • Posts: 305

I only have one F-mount lens for my Z 6, and it is the AF-S 85mm 1.8G, which I've always liked a lot.

It's fine on the Z 6 using the FTZ adapter. What I have noticed, though, is a very slight delay in the body "noticing" that the focus needs to be adjusted. The 24-70 kit lens doesn't seem to have the delay.

There's no problem in achieving focus, if a bit noisily compared to the 24-70 kit zoom. (This is subjective, and I have only one F-mount lens, so don't know whether what I noticed would apply to other lenses with the FTZ adapter.)

HRS's gear list:HRS's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 17,598

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I'm sure this has been discussed to death but was wondering what people thought about the new Z 85mm compared to the F-mount version?

I'm looking to get one, but I Know the older 85mm 1.8 is about half the price of a Z version right now (using the FTZ doesn't bother me that much so I'd be OK with the older one if the optics are similar).

Thoughts? (I'm doing this as a way to not have to carry around my 70-200 all the time, and in particular, when I'm working in a static environment, like a studio).

I have the 85mm f/1.8G lens on my D750. I like it. It's not, however, perfect. It has some flare and some chromatic aberration. It's nice and sharp at f/8, but that's not a heroic feat. The bokeh is neutral, which is better than what I get out of the 50mm f/1.8G.

From what I read, the Z lens is better.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
OP sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 3,460

visualenvy wrote:

While the F version is cheap and sharp the biggest issue I have experienced with it is the horrible CA.

The S version has none from what I have seen so far.

OK, and I seem to remember that on the F-mount lens, that and it needing to be stepped down quite a bit to get a sharp shot (at least the copy I had, which I returned a week later after doing some testing).  I will likely just go with the S lens.

Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +16 more
39matt Contributing Member • Posts: 589

My 85mm 1.8g works fine with my Z6 and wide open as well. Can’t say I have noticed many issues with chromatic aberration either. I wouldn’t say focusing was the fastest but then I’m not using it for fast moving subjects anyway.

I have no doubts the 85mm s is better but then it’s much more expensive. Similar experience with my 35mm 1.8g as well.

JonJonJam Regular Member • Posts: 124

I had the 85/1.8G on my Z7 and it's always been a very good lens.  Back in the day it was considered super sharp and superb and one of the best bargains available.

However the 85z is on whole different plane esp wide open and for CA.   I sold the 85G and bought the 85z.   The former is still capable of excellent images on the Z7 but life is short and for me there was no question.

JonJonJam's gear list:JonJonJam's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +7 more
OP sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 3,460

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Thoughts? (I'm doing this as a way to not have to carry around my 70-200 all the time, and in particular, when I'm working in a static environment, like a studio).

So I had the chance to play around with the 85 Z in the store yesterday for a bit.  I will get this version, but not immediately (as I need to see what taxes look like for next year).  If a deal comes up around the holiday season I may go for it, otherwise I'm going to get it but wait until next year.

My 70-200 can fulfill the task (Although it isn't as fast) but for now it will do until  I get the 85.

shadowlands
shadowlands Contributing Member • Posts: 867

I just sold my 85mm G in favor of the 85mm Z. I love the Z version, but of course, the G version was awesome as well. I just prefer native mounts when possible and I got a good deal with selling my former and buying my Z version. It's sharp!

-- hide signature --

Nikon Z6
Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 S
Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 S
Nikon SB-500

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads