"Beauty of the Earth" top 25 images

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 3,062
"Beauty of the Earth" top 25 images

Some inspirational amateur landscape photographers images from the "Beauty of the Earth" with 70 million votes determining the top 25.

https://www-mirror-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.mirror.co.uk/features/guru-shots-photography-competition-win-20531922.amp

Anything inspirational?

Really helps you understand how the time of day, and random weather can influence a photograph.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
tarakanchik Contributing Member • Posts: 995
Re: "Beauty of the Earth" top 25 images

Thanks for the link.  I regularly peruse the internet (mostly 500 px) for inspiration/locations and was excited about your post, until I saw the pictures... These, imo, were rather pedestrian (with few exceptions) and overall disappointing.  I didn't delve into the voting/submission process but something doesn't seem right here (though I don't dismiss the possibility of these being the best of the submissions).  Long story short, nothing here I haven't seen before, just my impression.

-- hide signature --

I lug my photo equipment everywhere. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it uncomfortable and cumbersome? Absolutely. Is it often an inconvenience? You bet. But is it all worth it? Sometimes...

mreynolds767
mreynolds767 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,188

tarakanchik wrote:

Thanks for the link. I regularly peruse the internet (mostly 500 px) for inspiration/locations and was excited about your post, until I saw the pictures... These, imo, were rather pedestrian (with few exceptions) and overall disappointing. I didn't delve into the voting/submission process but something doesn't seem right here (though I don't dismiss the possibility of these being the best of the submissions). Long story short, nothing here I haven't seen before, just my impression.

The article is linking photos which were posted on a website called Gurushots for a contest and vote they had I am guessing.  Gurushots likely does not get as many submissions as a site like 500px, Instagram, Flickr, etc...

Like any contest I am sure the system can be gamed for a better score as well.

While I think there are some excellent images on the link ; a monthly top ranking of 500px will result in better imagery most months ; though there are of course ways to game the system on that website as well and like everything else these photo contests and scores on 500px are usually just popularity contests.

-- hide signature --
 mreynolds767's gear list:mreynolds767's gear list
Sony a7R II
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 3,974

tarakanchik wrote:

Thanks for the link. I regularly peruse the internet (mostly 500 px) for inspiration/locations and was excited about your post, until I saw the pictures... These, imo, were rather pedestrian (with few exceptions) and overall disappointing. I didn't delve into the voting/submission process but something doesn't seem right here (though I don't dismiss the possibility of these being the best of the submissions). Long story short, nothing here I haven't seen before, just my impression.

Kind of had the same opinion. Nothing like the National Geographic images. There were some very good images, but many were just pretty average images. But I suppose the contest name attracted people and probably many who voted had never been to places like these.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,404
Hmmmm

A bit interesting, as are all these "contests."

Of the bunch, #7 and #20 were images I found compelling, maybe inspiring.

Like  many, I wondered why #14, #15 and the like are there.  And, about #15 - nobody cared that a seascape with an out-of-level horizon got through?  Strange.

But, we all like what we like and that's that. 

-- hide signature --

I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter.
Life is short - drive a convertible.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads