Z6 switches to viewfinder from touchscreen way too easily

Started 2 months ago | Questions
HRS Regular Member • Posts: 305
Z6 switches to viewfinder from touchscreen way too easily

One annoyance with my Z6 (at F/W 2.01) is that the camera will switch from the touchscreen to the viewfinder waaaay too easily when the touchscreen is tilted out. Even with plenty of ambient light, and nothing (like an eye) covering or near the eyepiece, the screen goes blank in favor of the viewfinder.

Here are a couple of pics to show what I mean:

Touchscreen is on:

Touchscreen is off, viewfinder is on:

Anyone else noticing this?

HRS's gear list:HRS's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
ANSWER:
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 5,940
Re: Z6 switches to viewfinder from touchscreen way too easily

Yes, My Z7 is pretty sensitive also.

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +17 more
just someone
just someone Forum Member • Posts: 74

Yes that's just the sensor working! if youput anything near it it will change.

Select 'monitor only' on the viewfinder options, easy!

shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,145

HRS wrote:

One annoyance with my Z6 (at F/W 2.01) is that the camera will switch from the touchscreen to the viewfinder waaaay too easily when the touchscreen is tilted out. Even with plenty of ambient light, and nothing (like an eye) covering or near the eyepiece, the screen goes blank in favor of the viewfinder.

I have that same issue with my Z6 once in a while. However, we can always lock the display either to the back LCD (touch screen) or the EVF, thus turning off the auto switch. There is even a dedicated button on the left side of the EVF (when you are looking at the camera from behind) to toggle that functionality.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +4 more
OP HRS Regular Member • Posts: 305

Yes, I can switch to monitor-only mode, but I typically use both viewing options, and want the camera to switch automatically, but just less aggressively. There really should be a setting to adjust the sensitivity.

HRS's gear list:HRS's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
just someone

What I do, is I limit the monitor selection to either EVF or Monitor, that way, a single press of the EVF button and I change the modes without having to toggle between the 4 diferent options.

Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 1,770
Setup Menu > Limit Monitor Mode Selection

just someone wrote:

What I do, is I limit the monitor selection to either EVF or Monitor, that way, a single press of the EVF button and I change the modes without having to toggle between the 4 diferent options.

+1

I implement this too, works great. EVF button weight, location and texture make it satisfying to toggle back and forth (and having only two options instead of the 4 is quick and concise).

Now if only I could figure out how to keep my iphone screen from lighting up every time I turn it over.

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +24 more
just someone

HRS wrote:

Yes, I can switch to monitor-only mode, but I typically use both viewing options, and want the camera to switch automatically, but just less aggressively. There really should be a setting to adjust the sensitivity.

Agreed with the above!

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 7,446
Re: Setup Menu > Limit Monitor Mode Selection

Wahrsager wrote:

just someone wrote:

+1

I implement this too, works great. EVF button weight, location and texture make it satisfying to toggle back and forth (and having only two options instead of the 4 is quick and concise).

Now if only I could figure out how to keep my iphone screen from lighting up every time I turn it over.

Settings>Display & Brightness> turn off Raise to Wake

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 +18 more
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 4,279

A common complaint is that the eye sensor gets dirty and causes the camera to stay in the EVF mode all the time.

I wonder if there is a possibility that your sensor is just a bit dirty and is causing it to be really sensitive to even the slightest change in what it sees. Try cleaning the sensor really well and see if it becomes less sensitive. It costs nothing, and might work.

-- hide signature --

Steve

bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,197

I agree with DIgital Shutterbut. My Z stopped switching and I thought it needed a repair, The amount of dust that can block the sensor over the eyepiece may not even be visible.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Nikon Z6

bmoag wrote:

I agree with DIgital Shutterbut.

I love the typo, assuming it was a typo.   

-- hide signature --

Steve

Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 1,770
Re: Setup Menu > Limit Monitor Mode Selection

Mackiesback wrote:

Wahrsager wrote:

just someone wrote:

+1

Settings>Display & Brightness> turn off Raise to Wake

Thanks!

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +24 more
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,145

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

bmoag wrote:

You mean there should have been another 't' at the very end? 

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +4 more

shuncheung wrote:

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

bmoag wrote:

You mean there should have been another 't' at the very end?

You're good!

-- hide signature --

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads