Z Adapter for Older AF Nikkors?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
wjansen Contributing Member • Posts: 844
Z Adapter for Older AF Nikkors?

No text.

OP wjansen Contributing Member • Posts: 844
Re: Z Adapter for Older AF Nikkors?

I would love to be able to use my older AF Nikon lenses and get the full benefit of AF and image stabilization.  Anyone think Nikon or others are working on such an adapter?

just someone
just someone Forum Member • Posts: 74

I really doubt, those lenses' AF were driven by a screw, I don't think Nikon will do anything to make those lenses AF on the Z.

To be honest and in my opinion, manual focusing on the Z's is so easy!

You asign the movie record button to zoom in 100% and manual focus is a walk in the park.

beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 6,458

wjansen wrote:

I would love to be able to use my older AF Nikon lenses and get the full benefit of AF and image stabilization. Anyone think Nikon or others are working on such an adapter?

Who knows?

They will work on it if they think they can turn a profit on this adapter, and if their time also couldn't be spent better working on something else that will make more money.

I think they definitely would have worked on it a few years ago.  Now, I don't know.

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 18,474

In Nikon Owners magazine issue 66 there is an interesting and relevant article by Becky Danese.

She explains that the FTZ adapter has a completely flush surface on the lens side and that, in consequence, pre AI as well as AF, AI and AIS lenses can be fitted as there is nothing to interfere with the mechanics of the lens or the adapter.

In particular there are no FTZ ridges to catch on pre AI lenses.

Almost all vintage (pre AI) Nikon Lenses can be used

While I am not familiar with pre AI lenses it seems that Nikon has opted for maximum backward lens fitting compatibility in place of auto focus with screwdriver AF lenses.

You can visit www.nikonowner.magazine.com to join Nikon Owners to get access to the full article

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +25 more
Escaping Senior Member • Posts: 1,199

wjansen wrote:

I would love to be able to use my older AF Nikon lenses and get the full benefit of AF and image stabilization. Anyone think Nikon or others are working on such an adapter?

We do not know for sure if such an adapter would be available anytime, but I am pretty sure that in developing the Z system, Nikon had developed working prototypes of various adapters, and one that can AF with old AF-D screw type lenses.  Such adapter would need a motor inside to drive the AF screw and it can make the adapter bulky, as well as expensive.  Further more, the AF performance (speed / accuracy) may not be satisfactory enough or may make the software for all the AF features quite complex, so It is Nikon product development / finance / management decision to have the present FTZ and not to market some other adapter at this time.  While this may irritate many people who have the older AF-D lenses, I can understand Nikon decision.

Do I wish to see an adapter for older AF-D lenses? Yes, I do like to see one.  But such an adapter probably would cost $350-500 easily.  I would put a low probability of such a product from Nikon coming to market.  Some 3rd party (like TechArt) may come up with one, who knows?

-- hide signature --

Esc (CT, USA) www.pbase.com/cvanlang
Z6 / Df / D810 / D750 / D500 / D7500 / D5500 / K-5 / X-T2 / X-E3 / GX85 / V1-V2-V3 / LX100 / X30 / Coolpix A / ZS100 / HX80

Escaping's gear list:Escaping's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm X30 +81 more
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 7,434

just someone wrote:

I really doubt, those lenses' AF were driven by a screw, I don't think Nikon will do anything to make those lenses AF on the Z.

To be honest and in my opinion, manual focusing on the Z's is so easy!

You asign the movie record button to zoom in 100% and manual focus is a walk in the park.

Manual focusing on manual focus lenses is easy, those lenses were designed to be used that way. Many AF lenses are not optimized that way.

Using longer teles like a 300 2.8 or f4, not so much. And those are very expensive lenses to replace. I have seen several comments like yours that never seem to account for people with expensive to replaces teles. Nobody will buy a bulky $500 adapter for a 50mm 1.8D. That;'s not the point.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon D50 Nikon Z6 +18 more

I understand it could be complex and expensive.  But Nikon (in the past) prides itself on its backwards compatibility of its legacy lenses.  They kept the screw drive in the D7200 and D7500 (although the 7500 gives up some functions).   Since these are not expensive pro bodies, one would think they could make such an adapter at a somewhat reasonable cost.

And of course we know that those older AF lenses WERE screw driven!

j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,243

Of course it would be nice for some users. But is it the best use of Nikon's resources in such a challenging economic environment?

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7

Well they did make a .95 Noct!  My thoughts there are far more people with older AF lenses than those likely to purchase this new exotic lens.

Tomx72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,525

Thinking on keeping my good old 2.8/105 af-d macro. Haven't tried it on the stock FTZ but thinking on a dumb adapter, I don't want to burn the fuse in the expensive one...

Tomx72's gear list:Tomx72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon Z6 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 18,474

wjansen wrote:

I understand it could be complex and expensive. But Nikon (in the past) prides itself on its backwards compatibility of its legacy lenses.

True - but the opposite economic for Nikon decision is adding VR and taking away less accurate than in lens motor AF and distinctly less accurate S lens AF is a fair trade off.

Nikon via the FTZ makes pre AI lenses usable - unlike on most DSLRs.

one would think they could make such an adapter at a somewhat reasonable cost.

If you want usability with pre AI lenses (as with the FTZ) - maybe £500.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +25 more
seahawk
seahawk Senior Member • Posts: 2,983

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

wjansen wrote:

I understand it could be complex and expensive. But Nikon (in the past) prides itself on its backwards compatibility of its legacy lenses.

True - but the opposite economic for Nikon decision is adding VR and taking away less accurate than in lens motor AF and distinctly less accurate S lens AF is a fair trade off.

Nikon via the FTZ makes pre AI lenses usable - unlike on most DSLRs.

one would think they could make such an adapter at a somewhat reasonable cost.

If you want usability with pre AI lenses (as with the FTZ) - maybe £500.

500 is not much, if you look at the old AF-D holy trinity of lenses and what it would cost to replace them.

-- hide signature --

hobby aviation photographer

chambeshi Senior Member • Posts: 2,363

Yet another thread on querying the FTZ-Gap in S'driver compatibility   More  links herehttps://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63208742

Yes, I follow all the reviews in Nikon Owners Mag , and have archived almost all of them. As with Simon Stafford, Becky D knows her subject.

The pre-AI population must be minor, and most models are simple to convert to AI. The numbers of these respective lens must be trivial, actually... When we consider the huge numbers including some excellent AFD and earlier s'driven Nikkors.  And add EXIF reading of the aperture setting as part and parcel of a FTZd Adapter

Many of us want to shoot their lenses AND a significant number will pay for a FTZd, especially to word on a Z6 and now Z50. One more Z product they can sell.

Nikon need to treat their loyal clients with due respect, and above all listen. A detailed memo formally submitted some months back on the FTZ Gap was treated in traditional silence. The inaugural step will be to drop the stuffy traditions and be far more open in acknowledging gaps and needs....

In these times, Nikon they cannot afford to jettison loyal users. In this shrinking ILC market, volumes have dropped in consumer sales but diversity in FX is swelling. Major changes in options in the past year or 2 are making switching that much easier ie keep existing optics on a new mount. The L-Mount Alliance is one elephant in the room. The AF systems will improve in not only Leica but more the affordable Pany MILCs.

A fully functional F-to-L mount adapter will shake up the landscape. A good reason is Sigma are unlikely to bother chasing the firmware shifts even if they do crack the Z-Nikon AF. They already have their EM adapter (Canon and Sony): unlikely to be the last product.

chambeshi's gear list:chambeshi's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads