Leveling ball head

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
saab900 Junior Member • Posts: 33
Leveling ball head

I've been searching around for a reasonable priced leveling ball head but there doesn't seem to be any apart from purchasing a leveling plate and then buying a separate ball head.

Any recommendations as I want to do some panoramic shots, I rather have all in one unless there is an advantage of using a separate leveling plate.

Thanks Justin

bgbgbgbgbg Contributing Member • Posts: 646
Re: Leveling ball head

The Acratech GP ballhead can be turned upside down to convert it to a pano head. I'm not sure what you consider reasonable but it retails for about $400.

OP saab900 Junior Member • Posts: 33

I did find that one looks good and high quality, I rather spend a lost less though as I'm not a full on landscaper.

The only alternative I found was a Uniqball but your still talking a lot of money.

£100-200 would be more my price bracket..

Thanks

BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,882

saab900 wrote:

I did find that one looks good and high quality, I rather spend a lost less though as I'm not a full on landscaper.

The only alternative I found was a Uniqball but your still talking a lot of money.

Thanks

There are low cost panning bases that attach to the top of your existing ball-head. They are a little clumsy, but are similar to the inverted type.

Legio Photo
Legio Photo Junior Member • Posts: 40

saab900 wrote:

I've been searching around for a reasonable priced leveling ball head but there doesn't seem to be any apart from purchasing a leveling plate and then buying a separate ball head.

Any recommendations as I want to do some panoramic shots, I rather have all in one unless there is an advantage of using a separate leveling plate.

Thanks Justin

You might want to check out FLM's LB-15 leveling base.  From my experience, it's smoother and more capable than many ball heads.

-- hide signature --

LegioPhoto.com
Veteran-Owned Family Business
Authorized Dealer
FLM o KPS R&D o SMDV

Legio Photo's gear list:Legio Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Fujifilm X-T3
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 12,482

saab900 wrote:

Thanks Justi

something like this should do the trick and fit your budget

https://www.promediagear.com/TRHH2-TRBU75-Pro-Stix-75mm-Bowl-Hi-Hat-with-Leveling-Half-Ball_p_310.html

you’ll probably also want an Arca-Swiss type clamp (basic ones are pretty cheap), a nodal rail or slide with a clamp , and an L-type A-S type camera bracket.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +1 more
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,219

If your ball head mount rotates you don't need a special panorama head. Just use the Rule of Thirds lines in your viewfinder to show you how much to overlap.

I overlap the the 1/3 line of each image with the 1/3 line of the next image. This means both the left and right thirds of all the central images are overlapped. Admittedly this is overkill but it ensures the software can align the images.

Put this on your camera's hot-shoe for leveling.

eBay - Bubble DSLR Spirit Level Camera Accessory Gradienter Double Axis 827941881693 | eBay

Use the items below to place the nodal point of your lens over the ball head.

Note: If any of the below deals are no longer available just search for the item and you will find them available from several difference sources in China with free international shipping.

eBay - 200mm Nodal Slide Rail Quick Release Plate Clamp Adapter for Photography

For considerably more money you can get a smoother operating nodal slide but one like this budget priced one has worked just fine for me.

Select a L Plate Bracket for your brand of camera.

eBay - QR L Plate Bracket For Canon EOS 5DS R 7D 5D MARK III II 6D 750D 700D 650D 450D 799975144962

eBay - QR-50 Quick Release Plate Ebay - Clamp Mount Compatible For Arca SWISS Tripod Ball_xb | eBay

Here is a procedure from RRS on how to find the nodal point and a list of nodal points for various lenses.

Nodal Point - Finding The No Parallax Point - RRS

Nodal Point-Entrance Pupil Database - PanoTools.org Wiki

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
zman500 Regular Member • Posts: 166

saab900 wrote:

Thanks

Maybe a solution is this. $42.00 and works really good and for the cost I like it and then you can use your favorite ball head but the ball head must have a 3/8 hole as this base leveler has a 3/8 screw and has 3 set screws to mount this and the ball head so it won't twist loose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWXN17G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May work or may not.

Zman

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads