DSC-RX10M4 System Software (Firmware) Update Ver.2.00 Available
Leites Regular Member • Posts: 337
Re: DSC-RX10M4 System Software (Firmware) Update Ver.2.00 Available

That's a pity they didn't add timelapse feature to this firmware update

Kerusker
Kerusker Senior Member • Posts: 1,268
DSC-RX10M4 Firmware Update to Ver.2.00 done

Steve, tanks for the hint.

I had no problems with the update procedure.

There wasn't a 'Data Recovery' screen with my RX10M4. Anyway, all user data seems to be still there.

I haven't checked the (new) functionality yet.

Only found that 'AF w/ shutter' isn't a 'Memory set item' as before with FW V1.00  :((

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 4,248
Re: DSC-RX10M4 Firmware Update to Ver.2.00 done

Kerusker wrote:

Steve, tanks for the hint.

I had no problems with the update procedure.

There wasn't a 'Data Recovery' screen with my RX10M4. Anyway, all user data seems to be still there.

That's an important point. The instructions lead you to believe the camera does a reset. That doesn't appear to be the case. Or, they know how to save user settings and restore them during the update. Anyway, all my user settings are exactly the same with ver. 2.0 as they were with 1.0.

I haven't checked the (new) functionality yet.

I've only had time to do a very quick test. It's not working for me on my cat, and she was looking straight at me with wide open eyes. I've got to spend some more time to see if there is something I need to do/change.

Only found that 'AF w/ shutter' isn't a 'Memory set item' as before with FW V1.00 :((

-- hide signature --

Steve

Belgarum
Belgarum New Member • Posts: 14

Thanks for the heads up.

Have done the update and it all went smoothly, though I haven't had an opportunity to try out the new features yet.
--
Philip

Belgarum's gear list:Belgarum's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Nikon D5300 +1 more

Belgarum wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.

Have done the update and it all went smoothly, though I haven't had an opportunity to try out the new features yet.
--
Philip

Just be sure to go into the new menu setting where you tell it whether to look for human eyes, or animal eyes. I'll probably add that to My Menu for quick access. You could probably use MR settings to accomplish the switchover, but I'm full-up there.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Mina J
Mina J Veteran Member • Posts: 3,894

steve stein wrote:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/compact-cameras-dsc-rx-series/dsc-rx10m4/downloads

Regards... Steve

Thank you very much!

Mina

-- hide signature --

"A photograph is a mirror that remembers"
By Blind Tom 1849-1908

Mina J's gear list:Mina J's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VII Nikon D300 Nikon D750
Ab S
Ab S Forum Member • Posts: 97

steve stein wrote:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/compact-cameras-dsc-rx-series/dsc-rx10m4/downloads

Regards... Steve

Thanks, very interesting additional feature to the mkiv.

Does anyone knows if the real-time eye (human or animal) tracking is with this v2.0 firmware is the same as the real-time tracking feature as introduced in the a7riv, i.e. is able to switch back and forth to eye tracking and subject track of moving humans or animals?

PS: I still have my 'old' RX10 first edition.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Ab S

VadimB New Member • Posts: 6

Do people run firmware updates without any reservations? It is not unheard of to have an update which brings problems along with new features.

VadimB wrote:

Do people run firmware updates without any reservations? It is not unheard of to have an update which brings problems along with new features.

I come from a background of being an engineer in the medical imaging field of health care. I can tell you that some of the most conservative people regarding software upgrades are in the IT department of hospitals. Generations of software will come and go before they will opt to do an upgrade. I'm sure people in financial institutions would be the same way. Caution is paramount. Ask Boeing about rushing to market.

I was a bit less conservative when it came to updating software in imaging equipment such as CT, MRI, PET and Cath lab systems. Over the years I did see a number of cases, like you mention, where an update did things it wasn't supposed to do. It pays to not be the first to discover problems. It can be catastrophic. In cases where you have multiple systems, always do one, then wait a few days before proceeding with updating similar systems.

Since I'm not making a living with my cameras, I can be more aggressive in updating software. I will generally wait a day or so and see what responses are showing up in forums like this one. If there are problems, they will come to the forefront pretty quickly. If I were a working pro photographer, I would no doubt go back to my roots. Proceed with a lot more caution.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Thank you for your insight Steve, truth be told I myself am a firmware engineer and know a thing or two about botched updates

But I like your 'rule of thumb' - if there are no complaints in a certain time, this is a good sign that the update is OK.

Kerusker
Kerusker Senior Member • Posts: 1,268

VadimB wrote:

Thank you for your insight Steve, truth be told I myself am a firmware engineer and know a thing or two about botched updates

But I like your 'rule of thumb' - if there are no complaints in a certain time, this is a good sign that the update is OK.

Luckily not all of us are following this rule - otherwise it wouldn't work.

If no one updates, there will be no complaints - then most will update and then the rule would work for those which haven't updated.

The brave will update to serve the community (no?).

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more

Yes, I am very grateful to all people who are brave and like to live on the edge

Belgarum
Belgarum New Member • Posts: 14

VadimB wrote:

For items which are safety- or mission-critical, then I'll certainly hold off on doing firmware updates or I'll have a separate test system to install them on first.

For a camera, I'm really not worried. If the firmware update had caused issues, then it would have been sent back to Sony with a "please fix this" note, and I would have used one of my other cameras in the interim.
--
Philip

Belgarum's gear list:Belgarum's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Nikon D5300 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads