Sony 24mm f/1.8 ZA - is it the best "35mm" FOV for the E-mount still?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,890
Sony 24mm f/1.8 ZA - is it the best "35mm" FOV for the E-mount still?

I'm a Sony shooter who uses both full frame and cropped APS-C bodies.

For an a6xxxx body with APS-C I used to own the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8mm ZA lens but sold it off when I stopped using APS-C for a while.  Want to re-enable my use of an a6xxx body again for simple casual travel and and walking around.

I have a full set of full frame lenses but plan to use the 55/1.8 ZA and 35/1.8 FE on it but like most would like to have a "35mm FF FOV" lens.  Is there a favorite here people like better than the original 28/1.8 ZA that was APS-C?

Considered using a FE 24/1.4 GM as well and may actually go down that route but wondered what others thought.

Have to admit a Fuji X-T3 with 23mm f/1.4 is a great setup but having two mounts is proving to be more of a burden than I want right now.

Had considered the Loxia 25/2.4 but its MF and slower that I would like

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R +37 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,955
Lens suggestion

Steve W wrote:

For an a6xxxx body with APS-C I used to own the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8mm ZA lens but sold it off when I stopped using APS-C for a while. Want to re-enable my use of an a6xxx body again for simple casual travel and and walking around.

I have a full set of full frame lenses but plan to use the 55/1.8 ZA and 35/1.8 FE on it but like most would like to have a "35mm FF FOV" lens. Is there a favorite here people like better than the original 28/1.8 ZA that was APS-C?

Considered using a FE 24/1.4 GM as well and may actually go down that route but wondered what others thought.

Have to admit a Fuji X-T3 with 23mm f/1.4 is a great setup but having two mounts is proving to be more of a burden than I want right now.

Thanks for your time.

Steve

The 24GM is great and balances well on the APSC bodies, but if you don’t need a lens for both formats and f1.4 and desire versatility together with quality, how about the new 16-55 f2.8?

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +12 more
José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,356
Re: Sony 24mm f/1.8 ZA - is it the best "35mm" FOV for the E-mount still?

Steve W wrote:

For an a6xxxx body with APS-C I used to own the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8mm ZA lens but sold it off when I stopped using APS-C for a while. Want to re-enable my use of an a6xxx body again for simple casual travel and and walking around.

I have a full set of full frame lenses but plan to use the 55/1.8 ZA and 35/1.8 FE on it but like most would like to have a "35mm FF FOV" lens. Is there a favorite here people like better than the original 28/1.8 ZA that was APS-C?

Thanks for your time.

Steve

If I were buying right now the 24/1.4 G will be on top of my list. In any case, my Sonnar 24/1.8 is a fantastic lens albeit APS-C.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +13 more
uhligfd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,357
Re: Lens suggestion

No! No 24 mm lens on APC-S can give you the same view of a '35 mm lens' on a full frame camera. No way ... It will give you 36 mm lens view on APS-C. Does that answer your question?

Pat Whittingham
Pat Whittingham Regular Member • Posts: 220

Steve

You show the Sony FE24F1.4GM in your gear list ... is this just a wish list?

But I have the same thought and considering the APSC only 24mm f1.8Z for an A6600 on order.

I think Sony will expand the FE f1.8 series (just a guess) to include the 24mm focal length.

So I have bought the 16-55mm f2.8 and will wait to see what happens in the next year.

If the FF 24mm f1.8 does not come, I expect the 24mm f1.4 GM will come down a bit in price and be a better but more expensive option. In either case, I would prefer a FF 24mm to use on my A7RIII as well as the A6600.

However I often see the APSC 24mm at really attractive prices so I might still buy a used one.

I also recently bought a 35mm Sony Zeiss OVF (from the RX1/RX1R) to use with the A6600 along with the EVF for a beautifully clear optical finder to compose landscape shots. It works in concept on my A7RIII with FE35mm f1.8 but should be even better on the A6600 due to the EVF being on the left side.

Pat Whittingham's gear list:Pat Whittingham's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony RX1R Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R IV Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +6 more
Re: Lens suggestion

uhligfd wrote:

No! No 24 mm lens on APC-S can give you the same view of a '35 mm lens' on a full frame camera. No way ... It will give you 36 mm lens view on APS-C. Does that answer your question?

Don’t you think you splitting hairs a bit. Yes, the field of view of a 24mm lens on APSC is equivalent to 36mm on FF. Didn’t think I’d posed a question. But, thanks for the advice.

Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +12 more

Pat Whittingham wrote:

Steve

But I have the same thought and considering the APSC only 24mm f1.8Z for an A6600 on order.

I think Sony will expand the FE f1.8 series (just a guess) to include the 24mm focal length.

So I have bought the 16-55mm f2.8 and will wait to see what happens in the next year.

If the FF 24mm f1.8 does not come, I expect the 24mm f1.4 GM will come down a bit in price and be a better but more expensive option. In either case, I would prefer a FF 24mm to use on my A7RIII as well as the A6600.

However I often see the APSC 24mm at really attractive prices so I might still buy a used one.

I also recently bought a 35mm Sony Zeiss OVF (from the RX1/RX1R) to use with the A6600 along with the EVF for a beautifully clear optical finder to compose landscape shots. It works in concept on my A7RIII with FE35mm f1.8 but should be even better on the A6600 due to the EVF being on the left side.

The 24mm GM is a much better lens, but larger. The GM is decently sharp wide open. The 24z is overpriced for what you get and not great wide open, if that matters. If the 24z were priced considerably lower, it would be more attractive.

bloodlmt Regular Member • Posts: 156

If u use both FF and aps-c and can afford 24mm 1.4 GM, go for it. I've seen plenty of happy owners at FM forum using r3 and r4 body with 24mm GM as 24-35mm lens.
By early 2020, there will be Viltrox 24mm 1.4 and Tamron 24mm 2.8

I assume the viltrox will have ok-ish quality at 1.4 and decent if stopped down to F2-F2.8, and tamron while only 2.8, it has close focus and macro 1:5 which is very great as walkaround lens, family gathering, food stuffs

Sony should dropped the ZA 24mm 1.8 to $500 max considering it is very old lens by now

OP Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,890

First, thank you all for your feedback.

Second, so sorry for not making things clearer.

a) I do own the 24/1.4 GM so that is definitely an option. It is just bigger than I was hoping for. 36 vs 35 mm equivalent FOV is not a problem.

b) I previously owned the Sonnar 24mm f/1.8 ZA and was wondering if anything better had come out. If I went this path I would only buy it used since I agree it is over priced.

c) While the new E 16-55 f/2.8 G looks like a nice addition to the Sony product line its bigger and slower than I want. The goal is small carry around size when in the hand.
The 24/1.4 GM is smaller than this

d) Had wondered if Sigma has come out with something in this range. I see the 16 and the 30 but did not see anything in between.

I made a comparison of the first three on camerasize.com
camerasize.com comparison

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R +37 more
Becksvart Contributing Member • Posts: 635

Euell wrote:

Pat Whittingham wrote:

Steve

The 24mm GM is a much better lens, but larger. The GM is decently sharp wide open. The 24z is overpriced for what you get and not great wide open, if that matters. If the 24z were priced considerably lower, it would be more attractive.

Well I haven't seen a review say the Zony 24 1,8 isn't great (in the center) at f/1,8. The Sony GM is rather larger, almost twice as heavy, doesn't focus as close, doesn't have as high magnification. Yes, new, the pricing seems a bit funky in the States (well relatively speaking, as they are pretty close to each other, in Sweden the GM is almost twice as expensive, and of course both are significantly less in the US)

Becksvart wrote:

Euell wrote:

Pat Whittingham wrote:

Steve

Well I haven't seen a review say the Zony 24 1,8 isn't great (in the center) at f/1,8. The Sony GM is rather larger, almost twice as heavy, doesn't focus as close, doesn't have as high magnification. Yes, new, the pricing seems a bit funky in the States (well relatively speaking, as they are pretty close to each other, in Sweden the GM is almost twice as expensive, and of course both are significantly less in the US)

As I said, the GM is the better lens, at least based upon the MTF curves, which is not to say that the 24mm f1.8 is a bad lens. It is good, but has issues at the edges, even stopped down.  My thought is that the price differential between it and the GM make it look a bit unattractive, except as to size and weight mainly.  Close focus is not really an issue IMO..

Becksvart Contributing Member • Posts: 635

Euell wrote:

Becksvart wrote:

Euell wrote:

Pat Whittingham wrote:

Steve

Close focus is not really an issue IMO..

Yep, close focus in wides is a creative avenue some won't be without (me) while others mainly shoot landscapes and things further off (you). 16cm 0,25x is different from 26cm 0,17x. That said I have no experience with the GM or its close focus abilities.

Becksvart wrote:

Euell wrote:

Becksvart wrote:

Euell wrote:

Pat Whittingham wrote:

Steve

Close focus is not really an issue IMO..

Yep, close focus in wides is a creative avenue some won't be without (me) while others mainly shoot landscapes and things further off (you). 16cm 0,25x is different from 26cm 0,17x. That said I have no experience with the GM or its close focus abilities.

Put in feet and inches, the F1.4 close focuses to .79 foot or 9.5 inches.  That's pretty close.  The F1.8 will get three inches closer.  I doubt that difference is significant for nearly all photographers and most common uses of a 24mm lens.  Given the differences in IQ, particularly wide open, the GM seems to me the better buy, in the U.S. anyway.  Whether the greater size and weight of the GM over the ZA prevail in purchase considerations, is for each to decide.  However, the GM balances quite well on A6xxx cameras.

When it came out, the 24mm F1.8  was probably the best then available lens for the A6xxx series, but time marches on and Sony is filling out its lens selections.  The 16-55 F2.8 is from all reports much better (and faster) than the previously available APSC zoom lenses for the A6xxx cameras, as its price would seem to indicate.  Likewise, the 24GM is a superior lens optically to the older 24mm F1.8, which, as you point out, may still be preferred by some for considerations of size and weight, although 3 inches closer focusing seems to me not a relevant consideration for most.  Faster and optically better corrected lenses are almost always larger than slower and less well corrected lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads