Anyone using CS6 and find that it stopped working after updating

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ARB1
ARB1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,475
Anyone using CS6 and find that it stopped working after updating

to Catalina?  Any thoughts on what to do?

-- hide signature --

Allen
___________
"It's easier to build strong children than to repair broken men."
-- Frederick Douglass

 ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +3 more
MacUser2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,103
Re: Anyone using CS6 and find that it stopped working after updating

One of my son's very close friends, who really know Macs, told me that he could help me make CS6 work with 10.15, but he recommended against doing it.

I had gone to C1 and Affinity a couple of years ago, so I was not upset about losing LR and CS6.  Both AP and C1 came over to Catalina with out any problems.

Good luck.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 16,857
Re: Anyone using CS6 and find that it stopped working after updating

Reports say that Photoshop CS6 does not work in Catalina.  While the main application is 64-bit, it relies on a 32-bit "update check" component.

According to Adobe, some "subscription" versions of Photoshop run under Catalina.

Adobe – Photoshop and macOS Catalina (10.15)

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,803
Re: Anyone using CS6 and find that it stopped working after updating

Tom_N wrote:

Reports say that Photoshop CS6 does not work in Catalina. While the main application is 64-bit, it relies on a 32-bit "update check" component.

According to Adobe, some "subscription" versions of Photoshop run under Catalina.

Adobe – Photoshop and macOS Catalina (10.15)

Didn't work for me. LR6 will but up you can't uninstall it. The installer is 32 bit.

-- hide signature --

I feel that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

 Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
MacUser2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,103
Re: Anyone using CS6 and find that it stopped working after updating

I cannot verify what this guy is doing. He claims that he has a way to make 32 bit App run on Catalina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhbMyn9iI98

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 16,857
Re: Anyone using CS6 and find that it stopped working after updating

Zeee wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

Reports say that Photoshop CS6 does not work in Catalina. While the main application is 64-bit, it relies on a 32-bit "update check" component.

According to Adobe, some "subscription" versions of Photoshop run under Catalina.

Adobe – Photoshop and macOS Catalina (10.15)

Didn't work for me. LR6 will but up you can't uninstall it. The installer is 32 bit.

Maybe because the perpetual version of Lightroom is a completely different application than the "subscription" versions of Photoshop?

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,803
Re: Anyone using CS6 and find that it stopped working after updating

Tom_N wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

Reports say that Photoshop CS6 does not work in Catalina. While the main application is 64-bit, it relies on a 32-bit "update check" component.

According to Adobe, some "subscription" versions of Photoshop run under Catalina.

Adobe – Photoshop and macOS Catalina (10.15)

Didn't work for me. LR6 will but up you can't uninstall it. The installer is 32 bit.

Maybe because the perpetual version of Lightroom is a completely different application than the "subscription" versions of Photoshop?

I'm sure it has something to do with it. PS can be 32 or 64 bit. I thought mine was set to 64 but it still wouldn't run. I kept it as a backup but after two year on subscription I won't be heading back if I get rid of it.

-- hide signature --

I feel that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

 Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 16,857
Re: Anyone using CS6 and find that it stopped working after updating

MacUser2 wrote:

I cannot verify what this guy is doing. He claims that he has a way to make 32 bit App run on Catalina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhbMyn9iI98

All that he is doing is installing High Sierra inside a VirtualBox virtual machine.  Because High Sierra supports 32-bit applications, he could then install and run such applications on the High Sierra virtual machine.

Other VM software would presumably work as well.

The WINE installation has nothing to do with running 32-bit applications.  That's just so that he can run some Windows software.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 16,857
Re: Anyone using CS6 and find that it stopped working after updating

Zeee wrote:

PS can be 32 or 64 bit. I thought mine was set to 64 but it still wouldn't run. I kept it as a backup but after two year on subscription I won't be heading back if I get rid of it.

Reports indicate that the 64-bit version of PS6 will not work on Catalina.  It has enough 32-bit dependencies to kill every time.  With LR6, an already-installed copy of LR6 may survive a non-clean OS install, but it is then brittle with regards to re-installation.

Aperture, likewise, does not work on Catalina, even though Aperture 3.0 and above are mostly 64-bit.

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,803
Re: Anyone using CS6 and find that it stopped working after updating

Tom_N wrote:

MacUser2 wrote:

I cannot verify what this guy is doing. He claims that he has a way to make 32 bit App run on Catalina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhbMyn9iI98

All that he is doing is installing High Sierra inside a VirtualBox virtual machine. Because High Sierra supports 32-bit applications, he could then install and run such applications on the High Sierra virtual machine.

Other VM software would presumably work as well.

The WINE installation has nothing to do with running 32-bit applications. That's just so that he can run some Windows software.

I think it is just time to move on. Tough to do as I have used PS since 2005. I have heard good things about Affinity.

-- hide signature --

I feel that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

 Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,803
Re: Anyone using CS6 and find that it stopped working after updating

Tom_N wrote:

Zeee wrote:

PS can be 32 or 64 bit. I thought mine was set to 64 but it still wouldn't run. I kept it as a backup but after two year on subscription I won't be heading back if I get rid of it.

Reports indicate that the 64-bit version of PS6 will not work on Catalina. It has enough 32-bit dependencies to kill every time. With LR6, an already-installed copy of LR6 may survive a non-clean OS install, but it is then brittle with regards to re-installation.

Oh I see. Yes those Klingons can be a pain. 

Aperture, likewise, does not work on Catalina, even though Aperture 3.0 and above are mostly 64-bit.

-- hide signature --

I feel that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

 Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads