D700 VS D610 VS Fuji S5 highlight and burned image test.

Started Nov 13, 2019 | Discussions
Andreascy
Andreascy Contributing Member • Posts: 876
D700 VS D610 VS Fuji S5 highlight and burned image test.

Hello. i wanted to share with you a small test i did using my d700 , d610 and fuji s5.

First i want to say that i own the 3 cameras and i love them all. each camera have its advantages. Nikon D610 is my new addition a newer camera with very good sensor- high iso etc. D700 is a legendary camera with an amazing body and the Fuji S5 pro with a unique Fujifilm CCD sensor with amazing colors and powerful highlight recovery.

Knowing how good is the Fuji in highlight recovery i wanted to compare it with my new addition The d610. I was curious to see The difference between the 2 cameras and how much close the d700 would be.

The lens used for this test is the nikon 50mm f1.8. Using the Fuji i had to step up because of the Apsc sensor.

I used a Tripod, 10 sec Timer, and manual Mode. I set the cameras to the lower iso possible, D700 iso 100, D610 iso 200 and Fuji s5 iso 100.

I used F8 Aperture and i took 2 shots . one shot with 1/20 shutter speed and the other shot with 1/2. I understand that 1/2 was extreme condition but i was was curious to try it and to see how much i can recover from each camera.

For post processing i used photoshop camera raw using only basic tools , like exposure , shadows, highlights , whites . blacks . I used a bit different processing in each image because my purpose was to make the final image to look best in my eyes but using only the basic tools.

The next 2  images are d700   OOC  Jpeg images. Is just an example how the images from 3 cameras looks in OOC.  First picture obviously is taken by 1/20 and the next 1/2 - and is completely burned.

Next are the result after post processing the images that was completely burned.

I didnt expect much from the cameras as image was completely burned, but we can see clearly how much information Fuji can recover. Honestly i am amazed by this camera .

Next are the images shot with 1/20.

After viewing all these it seems that Fuji S5 its a king in high light recovery

Andreascy's gear list:Andreascy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D610 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
marcio_napoli
marcio_napoli Senior Member • Posts: 1,664
Re: D700 VS D610 VS Fuji S5 highlight and burned image test.

Absolutely love these comparisons.

Love to feed my cameras tons of light, as much as possible before burning data.

The S3 and S5 are legendary in that regard, anyone who says otherwise have never shot with one of these.

Before having an S3 myself, I thought such claims were largely exaggerated, yet they're not.

Its highlight recovery capabilities are absolutely legendary.

I've been doing similar tests with all my cameras, and the only ones I've ever seen coming close in highlight headroom are the D3x (kinda close-ish, but still not there) and the Phase One P40+ digital back (this one is indeed in the S5 ballpark).

Best regards,
Marcio Napoli

fPrime
fPrime Veteran Member • Posts: 3,500

Andreascy wrote:

After viewing all these it seems that Fuji S5 its a king in high light recovery

I agree, the highlight recovery of the S5 Pro is in another league. Of course these days the whole exposure processing paradigm has flipped from highlight recovery to shadow recovery. Low noise CMOS sensors eventually caught up to the S5's incredible dynamic range by being able to expose for the highlights and bring up the shadows in post.

For me the S5 Pro now mainly represents an ability to get the rich colors of CCD with the fantastic dynamic range of a CMOS sensor. The one other thing worth mentioning is that the highlight roll off of the Fuji S5 is still softer than modern CMOS cameras which many find emulates the classic look of old school negative film.

fPrime

-- hide signature --

Half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring,
And half of my heart is the part of a man who's never truly loved anything.

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D700
Andreascy
OP Andreascy Contributing Member • Posts: 876

marcio_napoli wrote:

Absolutely love these comparisons.

Love to feed my cameras tons of light, as much as possible before burning data.

The S3 and S5 are legendary in that regard, anyone who says otherwise have never shot with one of these.

Before having an S3 myself, I thought such claims were largely exaggerated, yet they're not.

Its highlight recovery capabilities are absolutely legendary.

I've been doing similar tests with all my cameras, and the only ones I've ever seen coming close in highlight headroom are the D3x (kinda close-ish, but still not there) and the Phase One P40+ digital back (this one is indeed in the S5 ballpark).

Best regards,
Marcio Napoli

hello marcio, having all the cameras i was curious to do this small test

i was thinking to add my olympus m43 sensor to this test but unfortunately i broke the mode wheel ( stayed in Aperture mode) and i cant move it to manual.

Fuji S5 is a special camera

Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
indra Regular Member • Posts: 366

Much appreciated for your tests. Have you also tried with HS-V3 to see if you can "squeeze" more out of it?

indra's gear list:indra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D2Hs Nikon D700 Nikon D300S +63 more
Andreascy
OP Andreascy Contributing Member • Posts: 876

indra wrote:

Much appreciated for your tests. Have you also tried with HS-V3 to see if you can "squeeze" more out of it?

em... NO.. and i have it in my computer just in case i will try it and i will come back thank you

CBR1100XX Senior Member • Posts: 1,035

I've owned all of em (well a D750 but close enough) and this lines up with my experiences, though that being said I feel the D750 has the most flexible RAW files of the 3 just you shoot it differently.  Basically you switch your bias from a slight overexposure to underexposing by an even larger amount if needed.

I haven't been able to part with my S5 and probably never will but I should take it out for fun again, its' been too long.  I've got a lot of great memories and photos from that camera.

marcio_napoli
marcio_napoli Senior Member • Posts: 1,664
P40+ vs D800

CBR1100XX wrote:

I've owned all of em (well a D750 but close enough) and this lines up with my experiences, though that being said I feel the D750 has the most flexible RAW files of the 3 just you shoot it differently. Basically you switch your bias from a slight overexposure to underexposing by an even larger amount if needed.

Disclaimer: this is my opinion, you can shoot in any way you want.

IMO, although what you say is true, these modern CMOS are indeed impressive in shadow lifting, I'd add a bit about that.

Yes, they're impressive considering what you're asking them, bringing up information in the areas lacking signal, but let's put an * besides that claim.

Shadows are noisy, no matter the sensor.

It just happens these sensors are less noisy, but no matter how you cut it, there're tons of noise in shadows from any sensor regardless of gen, tech, etc.

Lifting shadow is impressive, but it ends up a noise fest no matter the tech.

I know this looks like a post from 2012, but like everyone else I've been shooting cameras with high DR, and there's no substitute for feeding the sensor tons of light.

For absolutely noiseless files, nothing can compete with overexposing and bringing down exposure in PP.

I haven't been able to part with my S5 and probably never will but I should take it out for fun again, its' been too long. I've got a lot of great memories and photos from that camera.

Just for fun, it's in the who cares territory, but here's a comparison between P40+ and D800.

Exposure as shot:

Blown out on purpose, to check the extreme limits of recovery.

- 3.5 stops in post.

D800 file is completely destroyed, yet the digital back still pulls some color and information in the sky,

Usually conventional design Bayer sensors don't differ much in that regard, but the P40+ is for sure the closest I've ever seen to the S5 in HL recovery.

This is an extreme example, but with proper exposures, it feels you simply can't blow out an image with this back.

Very similar to the feeling you get with an S5.

Best regards,
Marcio Napoli

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads