Overall view of M50 for stills

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Jon6650 Forum Member • Posts: 72
Overall view of M50 for stills

Hi, here my first time ever to venture here as my only ever Canon was and still is Eos5 from the late 90s! It's still going strong
I still mostly shoot film but when travelling I do miss digital sometimes so I want a cheap, light, used digital for those times. I don't shoot video or sports or nature, just portraits and travel pics usually at 35mm. 
So I was looking at last gen Fuji's, M43 and the like and then came across a few used M50 that I'd never considered before, at pretty similar prices. 
Thus my question is generally how do people find the M50 for my sort of use? Any common complaints?

Also I still have the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 on my Eos5. I only have a hazy understanding of adapters but could I get one of the clever ones and roughly keep the focal length equivalent, plus an increase in max aperture? Or have I misunderstood the game... 
Many thanks in advance

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 10,023
Re: Overall view of M50 for stills

Jon6650 wrote:

Hi, here my first time ever to venture here as my only ever Canon was and still is Eos5 from the late 90s! It's still going strong
I still mostly shoot film but when travelling I do miss digital sometimes so I want a cheap, light, used digital for those times. I don't shoot video or sports or nature, just portraits and travel pics usually at 35mm.
So I was looking at last gen Fuji's, M43 and the like and then came across a few used M50 that I'd never considered before, at pretty similar prices.
Thus my question is generally how do people find the M50 for my sort of use? Any common complaints?

Nice camera, just got one myself. Have been using M43 for portability for years, but like the sensor in the M50 more.

The only area that M43 surpasses the Canon M series in is with native lens selection.

Adapted EF lenses on the M50 work fine, however I have not tried the speedbooster type adapters, just the plain ef-m converter. You do need to check with Sigma about whether you need a firmware update to make your lens compatible with the M hardware, however.

Also I still have the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 on my Eos5. I only have a hazy understanding of adapters but could I get one of the clever ones and roughly keep the focal length equivalent, plus an increase in max aperture? Or have I misunderstood the game...

No, that's about right ...but you will lose some size advantage by doing that. Perhaps just getting the body and native 22mm f2  (which gives you about a 35mm FF equiv FOV) would be a better idea and a LOT more portable.

-J

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 3,245

Jon6650 wrote:

usually at 35mm

This is about the size of the film role or sensor?

That is your most used focal length on full frame?

That is your most used focal length on aps-c?

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

OP Jon6650 Forum Member • Posts: 72

thunder storm wrote:

Jon6650 wrote:

usually at 35mm

Sorry for lack of clarity. I meant 35mm lens on 135mm film and yes, the 22mm does seem to be an admirable lens to make a small overall unit with similar FOV.

jalywol wrote:

Jon6650 wrote:

Nice camera, just got one myself. Have been using M43 for portability for years, but like the sensor in the M50 more.

The only area that M43 surpasses the Canon M series in is with native lens selection.

Adapted EF lenses on the M50 work fine, however I have not tried the speedbooster type adapters, just the plain ef-m converter. You do need to check with Sigma about whether you need a firmware update to make your lens compatible with the M hardware, however.

No, that's about right ...but you will lose some size advantage by doing that. Perhaps just getting the body and native 22mm f2 (which gives you about a 35mm FF equiv FOV) would be a better idea and a LOT more portable.

-J

Many thanks. I was confused by your mention of firmware update. Is this for the camera or the lens?

Fjzk New Member • Posts: 12

I have one. Solid image quality (if you don’t need to shoot above ISO 3200) and very good AF and UI. Works well adapting EF or EF-S lenses, never tried with third party glass.

Alan Sh Senior Member • Posts: 2,272

I have 2 M50's and a selection of M lenses. I only do stills and have found the quality to be excellent.

35mm equivalent on the M is 22mm - the EF-M 22mm F2 lens is superb.

For your 28-70 equivalent, you could go for the 18-150 which is 29-240, so overkill, but you may find the need to go a bit more than 70.

Anyway, you won't go wrong with an M50. There's a learning curve to it, but feel free to ask here and we will fix it.

Alan

Alan Sh's gear list:Alan Sh's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS M100 +14 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 3,245

Jon6650 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Jon6650 wrote:

usually at 35mm

Sorry for lack of clarity. I meant 35mm lens on 135mm film and yes, the 22mm does seem to be an admirable lens to make a small overall unit with similar FOV.

M50 is fine for your purposes.

22mm is good value for money. You don't seem to need fast AF so the only thing missing could be image stabilization.

Viltrox will come up with a 23mm f/1.4. If portraits is your thing, maybe this is a better choice because it allows you to create a thinner DOF.  I don't know if there will become in camera correction profiles available for this lens.

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 10,023

Many thanks. I was confused by your mention of firmware update. Is this for the camera or the lens?

Lens, which Sigma will have the details for, but also check the body has the latest Canon firmware, too.

jalywol wrote:

Lens, which Sigma will have the details for, but also check the body has the latest Canon firmware, too.

Thanks again. This is a lens from the 1990s; I suspect adding more coal to its little steam engine is the only updating it can take.

Thank you all. Sounds like this a  great choice

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads