Christmas in Prague...loading

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
konsolas_captures
konsolas_captures Forum Member • Posts: 88
Christmas in Prague...loading

Hello everybody,

This Christmas I am travelling to Prague and I want your advise regarding my lens choice.

I am between my beloved 22mm f2 and the 32mm f1.4. It is not a matter of weight or space, I just want to have only one lens on my M5 and not thinking about different focal lengths.

What would be your choice and why?

Thanks in advance!

konsolas_captures's gear list:konsolas_captures's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM
Alexis
Alexis Senior Member • Posts: 1,474
Re: Christmas in Prague...loading

I think the 32 would be too restrictive. If I was you I would take the 22 and the 55-200 that I see you also own!! That would have you well covered. If it's just ONE lens then take the 22mm f/2

Alexis's gear list:Alexis's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +13 more
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 1,609

konsolas_captures wrote:

Hello everybody,

This Christmas I am travelling to Prague and I want your advise regarding my lens choice.

I am between my beloved 22mm f2 and the 32mm f1.4. It is not a matter of weight or space, I just want to have only one lens on my M5 and not thinking about different focal lengths.

Thanks in advance!

For me, after many years of walking about with a Minox 35 in my pocket, it would be the 22mm - after so long, I automatically see images with that field of view, rather than the 32mm lens' perspective.  YMMV

konsolas_captures
OP konsolas_captures Forum Member • Posts: 88

Thank you very much for your advise Sir. I was thinking the same thing about the 32.

As for the 55-200, I do not know if it's only my copy but I find this lens to be very soft at least when compared to my other 3 M lenses.

Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM
konsolas_captures

I am not that experienced photographer, I am not even a photographer but my eye is also better trained in the 35mm field of view as I have used the 22mm much more than the 32mm.

Alexis

You're unlucky - mine's almost as good as my EF 70-200 f/4 L IS !!!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +13 more
Canochrome Regular Member • Posts: 271

Since you don't want to deal with changing focal lengths, I'd go with the 22. I think the wider field of view would be helpful for taking in the decorated cityscape.

I would even consider the 11-22. I use zooms all the time for framing.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Canochrome's gear list:Canochrome's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +20 more
a leben New Member • Posts: 5

I would take the 11-22 and the 32. I was in Prague last winter and to successfully photograph Prague’s beautiful squares and the Castle the 11-22 would be perfect. Remembering how early it gets dark there at this time of the year the 32 would be my choice over the 22. Plus it’s superb optics and character will return you many wonderful memories of this mesmerising city.

Alexis

Going against my original advice I'm now agreeing with a leben

11-22 + 32

Sanpete in Utah Regular Member • Posts: 264

Are you only taking one camera? Depends on what else you'll have along.

Myself, if I were only taking one camera with one lens, it might not be an ILC. I might take some version of the Sony RX100. Unless I wanted shots for posters. And even then ...

But that's just a quick thought. In real life I'd end up taking two or three cameras and six lenses anyway.

JRET Contributing Member • Posts: 563

I almost always take 2 cameras when traveling, especially if it's a "once in a lifetime" destination, and I try to choose 2 bodies that share batteries & lenses -- i.e. pair my M50 with my M2 and choose 3 lenses plus enough batteries - this is a nice, small kit.  The other pairing that I use is a 6D & 80D -- both share the same battery type and I can use any of my EF lenses on both bodies.

If you don't have a second body and like the redundancy this might be a good opportunity to add a backup and carry 2 cameras/lenses -- something to consider, perhaps.

JRET's gear list:JRET's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +18 more
Sanpete in Utah Regular Member • Posts: 264

JRET wrote:

I almost always take 2 cameras when traveling, especially if it's a "once in a lifetime" destination, and I try to choose 2 bodies that share batteries & lenses -- i.e. pair my M50 with my M2 and choose 3 lenses plus enough batteries - this is a nice, small kit. The other pairing that I use is a 6D & 80D -- both share the same battery type and I can use any of my EF lenses on both bodies.

If you don't have a second body and like the redundancy this might be a good opportunity to add a backup and carry 2 cameras/lenses -- something to consider, perhaps.

Makes sense. I've used a sort of opposite approach, cameras that are different in capabilities. I like the RX100x for its pocketability and versatility, and lack of conspicuousness. Last time I also took the Sony A7, with a bunch of lenses. I used both a lot. The M6ii would be in between, but closer to the A7, so I'd still want the RX100 too, I think.

Fjzk New Member • Posts: 12

18-150mm as a walk-around lens and 22mm for low light situations. You would regret not having a zoom in a place like Prague with lots of tourists everywhere.

konsolas_captures

I own only one camera, the M5 with 4 EF-M lenses (I don't own the 18-150mm). All lenses are amazing except the 55-200mm. I was also thinking of the 11-22mm because of the squares and castles but I wanted to take a prime with me because I enjoy it a lot more. That's why I am between the 22mm and the 32mm. You are completely right about the 32mm being more suitable because it gets dark a little too soon but do you think that the photos of the 22mm and a higher ISO won't be usable? I am a little skeptical of the 32mm being too tight (regarding the frame).

Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 1,609

konsolas_captures wrote:

I own only one camera, the M5 with 4 EF-M lenses (I don't own the 18-150mm). All lenses are amazing except the 55-200mm. I was also thinking of the 11-22mm because of the squares and castles but I wanted to take a prime with me because I enjoy it a lot more. That's why I am between the 22mm and the 32mm. You are completely right about the 32mm being more suitable because it gets dark a little too soon but do you think that the photos of the 22mm and a higher ISO won't be usable? I am a little skeptical of the 32mm being too tight (regarding the frame).

There will be very little difference for camera shake hand-held between the two primes.  The 32mm may be a stop faster but it magnifies the shake nearly 1½x at the same shutter speed and gives less depth of field.  I'd still take the 22mm even if I had the 32mm.  For wider coverage you can create amazing seamless mosaics with Microsoft ICE and it's a free download.

I thought a lot of the replies here were like telling someone who wanted to go bike camping to tow a Smart car behind the motorhome.

Asla Regular Member • Posts: 407

Hi!

If asking me, I'd take 22mm. For me it's fov is more versatile, and difference between f 2 and f 1,4 is not that much. If I could, I'd propably take both, however...

A s l a

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 3,247

konsolas_captures wrote:

Hello everybody,

Well, to my eye it would really be a very sad thing to do if you - owning this superb 32mm lens - would leave it at home. It is almost a kind of disrespectful to photography.

Thinking about focal lengths? Just don't think at all! Just put your 32mm f/1.4 on it as long as subjects fits in the frame, an change to something wider (22mm or 11-22mm) if it doesn't fit. Done with the subject needing the wider lens? Change back to the 32mm. It's so easy!

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, i just can't get over it....  take both your 32mm and a wider option. To my eye the 11-22mm is a better choice in a city over the 22mm.   All these lenses are so small and compact. You have a nice little camera with a lot of buttons and dials. How on earth could you just not give it the glass it needs. Impossible.

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

konsolas_captures

Haha I would probably end up taking both and use which ever I prefer given the circumstances.

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 3,247

konsolas_captures wrote:

Haha I would probably end up taking both and use which ever I prefer given the circumstances.

Enjoy your trip!   Prague is a beautiful city!

(Maybe a very small tripod (something like the Joby gorrilapod) could be useful too.   )

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

konsolas_captures

Thank you very much!

Thank you all for the advice.

Actually I have always with me a small manfrotto tripod ( I think its called pix mini or something) so no issue there. It is very small but it has helped me a lot during all my vacations in the recent years.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads