A MISTAKE to NOT have FA-LCD on M6 ???

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
PhotoTeach2 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,733
A MISTAKE to NOT have FA-LCD on M6 ???

Not sure if Canon intended it as a test (w/same sensor), but since both are "new" and w/ same-sensor, could work out that way.

BUT ... I am dismayed by Canons decision to NOT include the FA-LCD on M6 (but did on 90D).

I suggest ML can better utilize a FA-LCD, (and huge mistake to not include) --- while DSLR users seem "satisfied" with conventional fixed or tilting screen.

I personally would never buy a M6 w/out a FA-LCD so Canon is not allowing a fair comparison if others feel the same.

Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,711
Re: A MISTAKE to NOT have FA-LCD on M6 ???

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

BUT ... I am dismayed by Canons decision to NOT include the FA-LCD on M6 (but did on 90D).

You can't use a front-facing flip-up LCD on a 90D, because the OVF-bump would get in the way, so you design it with a FA-LCD instead.

When the optional viewfinder isn't in use, you can use a front-facing flip-up EVF on the M6.

Different LCD designs for different form factors.

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,756

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

Not sure if Canon intended it as a test (w/same sensor), but since both are "new" and w/ same-sensor, could work out that way.

BUT ... I am dismayed by Canons decision to NOT include the FA-LCD on M6 (but did on 90D).

I suggest ML can better utilize a FA-LCD, (and huge mistake to not include) --- while DSLR users seem "satisfied" with conventional fixed or tilting screen.

I personally would never buy a M6 w/out a FA-LCD so Canon is not allowing a fair comparison if others feel the same.

Different strokes.

Personally I would have hated having a Fully Articulating LCD on the M6ii (and M5 before it).  I love the speed of a tilting LCD, and the off-axis viewing of this LCD is quite good.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 II
Canochrome Regular Member • Posts: 271

First question - what is an FA-LCD?

-- hide signature --

Tom

Canochrome's gear list:Canochrome's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +20 more
dpeete Regular Member • Posts: 489

This seems to be the exact opposite of what we see out there. Canon has historically had fully articulated screens on their pro-sumer DSLR, 60/70/80/90D and we've had tilt screens on our no EVF mirrorless cameras M3/5/6. And they don't have any articulation on their pro-bodies.

You might also read this DPR article: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8536336961/what-is-it-like-to-come-back-to-a-dslr-after-shooting-mirrorless

Excerpted here:

Since the Canon 5D series still does not offer tilting or articulating rear screens, I was excited to finally see one on the Canon 90D. As I say, the ability to shoot and compose with a movable LCD on mirrorless cameras has really enhanced my creativity when it comes to image composition.

Now that I've spent some time with the fully-articulated screen on the Canon 90D that can face forward for vlogging, I find that it isn’t very useful for shooting photos. For most photo and video needs, it is more efficient to have a two-axis LCD screen that simply pops out and tilts up or down; you truly only need the 90D’s forward-facing flip screen if you intend to vlog or take selfies.

dpeete's gear list:dpeete's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Sony a7R III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +14 more
davidgp
davidgp Contributing Member • Posts: 565

Canochrome wrote:

Fully Automatic Lens Cleaning Dispensary?

davidgp's gear list:davidgp's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more
jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 10,017
This is an ongoing argument...

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

In every mirrorless brand there's about an even divide between preferences for one style over the other.  I personally prefer the flip down style to fully articulating, but, if a camera has everything else I want, the less preferred screen type (to me) is not a deal breaker.

I would imagine that the successor to the M50 down the road will have a fully articulating screen, as the current M50 does, so you may just want to wait for that one, whenever it comes......Or use the M6II and just deal with the flippy format for the time being.

-J

needmoretoys Regular Member • Posts: 492

Fully articulated LCD (fold in, fold out, swing out to side) as opposed to a flip up or flip down LCD.

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
needmoretoys Regular Member • Posts: 492

R2D2 wrote:

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

Different strokes.

Personally I would have hated having a Fully Articulating LCD on the M6ii (and M5 before it). I love the speed of a tilting LCD, and the off-axis viewing of this LCD is quite good.

R2

Agreed. I prefer the screen on my M5 to the FA one on my G5 X. I find it much easier to use for low level macro.

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
OP PhotoTeach2 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,733

Canochrome wrote:

Fully-Articulating LCD  They can be pointed straight-up or down ... or off to the side.

Can be reversed (for selfie's) or (very important) nested to protect from scratches.

In other words, you can use it at ANY angle, inc. directly overhead or even pointing straight-UP while on the ground.

I will never have another camera w/out one since I now take most of my photos at very extreme offsets while exploiting its possibilities.

Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,396
Re: A MISTAKE to NOT have FA-LCD on M6 ??? NO

Keep the M6 as compact as  possible. A fully-articulated screen must add additional bulk and weight, and is appealing to few people anyway. More options are always better, but this one has a cost with less of a benefit.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +9 more

dpeete wrote:

This seems to be the exact opposite of what we see out there. Canon has historically had fully articulated screens on their pro-sumer DSLR, 60/70/80/90D and we've had tilt screens on our no EVF mirrorless cameras M3/5/6. And they don't have any articulation on their pro-bodies.

You might also read this DPR article: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8536336961/what-is-it-like-to-come-back-to-a-dslr-after-shooting-mirrorless

Excerpted here:

Since the Canon 5D series still does not offer tilting or articulating rear screens, I was excited to finally see one on the Canon 90D. As I say, the ability to shoot and compose with a movable LCD on mirrorless cameras has really enhanced my creativity when it comes to image composition.

Well, I like what he first said here, and I totally/completely concur since it has enabled may shooting positions formerly impossible.

Not sure why he then contradicted himself.

Hoka Hey
Hoka Hey Senior Member • Posts: 1,233

FA is very useful in landscape and astro photos taken in portrait mode. Having FA saves a lot of neck strain and lying sideways on the ground. It’s the main reason I’m considering the M50 over the M6ii. If I can’t compose the shot, then a bigger better sensor doesn’t help.

i completely understand that it’s not something everyone needs.

-- hide signature --

Joe

dpeete Regular Member • Posts: 489

She doesn't contradict herself. She is saying that she has come to depend on an articulated screen after being stifled by the fixed screen on the 5D. And then she says that the fully articulated screen on the 90D wasn't any more beneficial than the tilt screen on her Sony... unless you are a vlogger or video person.

I agree with her... I very rarely used the twisting and turning screen of my old 70D, but I use the flip up/tilt down of my A7riii and M6 all the time. It gets me the photos when I need to hold the camera over my head, and it let me get the camera really low to the ground (often with a Platypod) for ultra-wide angle... all while keeping the camera compact.

dpeete's gear list:dpeete's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Sony a7R III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +14 more
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 6,409
It might have been a mistake to add one...

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

First of all, I'm a huge fan of the Canon Flip-LCD screens.  I liked them in the past because the method allows me to protect the LCD and this was an excellent addition to the PowerShots and G-Series cameras but it was also useful on some DSLRs to enable protection.  But on cameras without an EVF/OVF it's essential that the LCD be facing the user at all times. 

First day with the M6.  Surprisingly I still have no scratches on the screen.

As someone who wears my EOS M6 on my belt EVERY DAY, and as someone using the camera in sandy, sooty, dirty environments, I was initially expecting to get scratches on my LCD screen.  I can report that there are no scratches on my M6 after more than 2 years of daily use.  The tilt-LCD screen is much faster to deploy as needed and side-use is virtually entirely unnecessary.  The tilt-mechanism seems to involve less movement and therefore less risk to the integrity of the parts.  For this reason I don't really miss it on the M6 and the tilt is extremely useful compared to a static screen.  Trying to shoot close to the ground requires that the screen be tilted.  The same applies when I fix my camera to a telescope or a long lens on a tripod. Only tilt (up and down) is required.

Tilt-LCD for Astro on the EOS M6.

Tilt-LCD Screen for Astro - on the EOS M6

Using the Powershot G1X with Filp-LCD for shooting close to the ground.
A Tilt-LCD would have been quicker to deploy and the results would be the same.

I can appreciate that Canon have the best Flip-LCD on the market and that it was always good to be able to use it on certain bodies.  But it's not missed on the EOS series when the Tilt-LCD is available.  Even those with the M50 have noted that the Flip-LCD is much slower to deploy when shooting at speed is required (compared to the models with Tilt-LCD displays).
A Tilt-LCD screen costs less to make than a Flip-LCD screen and Canon's only responsibility is to produce a quality product that gives superb returns to the shareholders.  The Tilt-LCD screen is the way to go in this instance.  The reason they put a Flip-LCD on the 90D was because the display would have been occluded (blocked) by the body of the camera.  I think Canon made the right decision in this case.
--
Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +17 more
Ed Rizk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,791

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

It's been that way on both cameras since the 60D and, from my reading the original M6.

Personally, I prefer the FALCD.   There are many who prefer the tilting LCD.  It only matters on vertical shots.  The tilting LCD is probably better if you only do horizontal shots.

It's not a deal killer for me, although I would always wish it was there.  My hold up is that I have to get used to the idea of that goofy looking clip on view finder.

-- hide signature --

Ed Rizk

Ed Rizk's gear list:Ed Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,620

Canochrome wrote:

TBF i had to read some post to decipher it ...bit like when my kids text me i have to google 1/2 of it

-- hide signature --

Attention Dislexsic i mean dyslexic person... This post will have many although spell checked, spelling and grammatical errs ..its The best its going get so no need to tell me its bad i know it is .....................................................................................................
My 5D IS a MK1 classic
..........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
...........................................................................................................
Political correctness....somebody being offended on someone else's behalf....who that someone doesn't give a damn in the first place ....David Appleton.
.....................................................................................................
If you wait for a camera that will  tick all your boxes ....by then you will have more boxes to tick..... so the wait continues .....David Appleton
..................................................................................................
quoting irrefutable facts may get you branded a racist ..even if no race is involved .......David Appleton
.....................................................................................................

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Canon EOS M5 +9 more
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,756

davev8 wrote:

Canochrome wrote:

LOL, took me a minute too.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people use new (or obscure) acronyms (more accurately initialisms) without defining them first.

I'd much rather be typing than scratching my head.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 II
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,711

For people who want to conveniently do self-videos with the camera on a tripod, I nominate the flip-under LCD (Nikon  Z50) as the worst of the three designs.

R2D2 wrote:

davev8 wrote:

Canochrome wrote:

LOL, took me a minute too.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people use new (or obscure) acronyms (more accurately

I apologize for not being clear ....

I often describe it as FULLY-articulating (and REVERSIBLE) LCD.

I think "reversible" is important not only because it allows selfie's (if your into that), but because it protects the LCD from scratches, (like belt-buckles while camera is hanging from neck).

"FULLY" is a very big thing because it allows shooting positions from even ground-level, shooting "up", (where no "rear" screen would be visible).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads