My M50 has new Godox wireless flash buddies!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Casey Cheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
My M50 has new Godox wireless flash buddies!

My M50 has new pals! I've been wanting to get into wireless flash photography. To that end, I now have various Godox flash products for doing that.

1) Godox TT685c flash (for wireless on-camera and off-camera flash photography)

2) Godox AD200 Pro flash (only for wireless off-camera flash photography on a light stand with softbox)

3) Godox X2T remote wireless transmitter (to remotely trigger TT685 flash or AD200Pro flash. I chose this X2T unit over the XPro unit cuz it has a hotshoe on top to attach a flash)

4) Godox SL-60W LED video light (for doing video shoots, has a remote control for light adjustment)

I decided to return my Canon 430EX III-RT flash in favor of going all Godox for its wireless ecosystem.

Can't wait to start shooting stuff! Check out the attached pics...

4 different Godox light units

Godox 685c flash and Godox X2T remote transmitter

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dpeete Regular Member • Posts: 488
Re: My M50 has new Godox wireless flash buddies!

Not to mention a very brief stint with a TT350

The Godox/Flashpoint gear is great... I think they are changing the lighting market. Hopefully you enjoy it.

One thought on the purchase: the shot-to-shot recycle times on the TT685 are not great compared to the V860. You might want to check that out before you settle all the way in on that model.

I also have a hunch you are going to want a small flash with bounce for those times when the TT685 is just too big. The TT350 would keep you in system, but that probably isn't necessary with the other 2 Godox units you have. I think the 270EX is an ideal flash for stuffing in the unused space of a Peak Design 5L and a few lenses.

dpeete's gear list:dpeete's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Sony a7R III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +14 more
OP Casey Cheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,420

dpeete wrote:

Not to mention a very brief stint with a TT350

The Godox/Flashpoint gear is great... I think they are changing the lighting market. Hopefully you enjoy it.

One thought on the purchase: the shot-to-shot recycle times on the TT685 are not great compared to the V860. You might want to check that out before you settle all the way in on that model.

I also have a hunch you are going to want a small flash with bounce for those times when the TT685 is just too big. The TT350 would keep you in system, but that probably isn't necessary with the other 2 Godox units you have. I think the 270EX is an ideal flash for stuffing in the unused space of a Peak Design 5L and a few lenses.

Aaah, you remembered my quickie fling with the TT350, LOL!! Yes, we parted ways before the 14 day honeymoon refund period ended, haha!

Yes, I did ponder on the V860 flash with its li-on battery, even held it in my hand for a minute. In the end, I chose the 685 flash cuz it's on sale at $99 versus $161 for the V860. The 685 flash seems decent enough for recycle time, at $99 the price is nearly disposable. In fact, the sales guy at the camera store told me if the flash is defective within a 1 year period, their policy is to simply replace the flash cuz there is no repairs from Godox. I found that interesting and amusing.

You might like this comparison between the 685 versus the V860 in terms of battery usage. Check out this Youtube video: https://youtu.be/ZNDIQZz5kqg

Yes, the 685 flash is a bit top heavy on my M50 camera, geez, I hope the hotshoe/flash compartment doesn't fall apart, haha! Even the Godox X2T remote transmitter looks sort of big on the hotshoe.

Yeah, I may look into getting a smaller flash as an extra backup. Don't know which one yet though. I rather like the Canon speedlights, but don't want to spend $500 for an OEM flash. Who knows, maybe I'll revisit my fling with the TT350 again?!

Check out this picture attached of my M50 with the X2T remote and 685 flash on top. Overkill???? Yes, in fact, the flash will trigger when I press the shutter release with this setup!

Godox 685 flash on top of X2T remote on top of M50 camera

Alexis
Alexis Senior Member • Posts: 1,474

Thanks for sharing your flashy story!

Three quick questions:

a) Why did you return the Canon 430EX-RT

b) How does the 430 compare in size to the TT685?

c) How do their recycling times compare (430EX vs TT685 cs TT350)

Thanks

Alexis's gear list:Alexis's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +13 more
Re: Cool, it works!

Alright, it works! Had to wait 4 hours for the rechargeable battery on the Godox AD200Pro flash to fully charge up. I entered the same Channel 01 and Group A on the AD200Pro flash, the Godox 685 flash, and Godox X2T remote transmitter attached to camera hotshoe. Then shot a selfie pic for a test, everything fired simultaneously as advertised! This selfie pic was shot at f4 at 1/60th sec on ISO 400 with my M50 camera (with 24mm EF-S lens/Canon adapter) with LCD screen swiveled outwards so I can frame myself. Since the AD200Pro flash has no hotshoe (it's really a portable studio flash), it's set on a light stand. M50 camera was handheld with left hand. The Godox 685 flash was handheld with right hand as a hair light, haha.

So cool, I'm gonna go crazy with this now, LOL!

Alexis wrote:

Thanks for sharing your flashy story!

Two quick questions:

a) Why did you return the Canon 430EX-RT

I actually like the Canon 430 flash quite a bit. But I wanted to move to fully wireless flash photography using Godox products so the Canon flash didn't fit into the equation. In particular, I really, REAAAAALLY wanted the super cool Godox AD200Pro flash, which is a fully portable flash for doing on-location photography with studio quality lighting. That meant I had to get the Godox transmitter to trigger the Godox flashes (AD200Pro and 685 flash. If I had gotten the Canon remote transmitter, this would not have been compatible for triggering the Godox flashes, not to mention the Canon remote costs a ridiculous $300 compared to the Godox transmitter for $60. At one point, I was considering buying a 2nd Canon 430 flash so that each unit to remotely trigger each other. But again, the problem is that it would not fit in for triggering the Godox AD200Pro flash.

Check out these Youtube videos on the Godox AD200Pro flash, which is fully TTL and can add softbox and other light modifiers to the speedring for soft lighting effect. I plan to get a folding/collapsible softbox for the AD200Pro flash for on-location shooting. The rechargeable battery is rated for something like 500 full power flashes. I got an extra battery to go with the flash. This AD200Pro flash costs $359 on Amazon plus an extra $59 for a 2nd battery. A lot of wedding photographers use this flash for shooting studio quality portraiture while on-location at the beach, hotel, park, wherever!

https://youtu.be/qdcUAScu_5Y

https://youtu.be/VzfRfPmfw_M

https://youtu.be/kF4JBfydjkc

https://youtu.be/ywhrgTA141w

b) How does the 430 compare in size to the TT685?

The Godox 685 flash is noticeably larger and taller than the Canon 430 flash. As a matter of fact, the 685 flash attached to the M50 hotshoe makes the camera top heavy. The Canon 430 flash although slightly large-ish on the M50 looks really good on the camera. But I figure, if I REEEEAAALLY need a flash for an event, therefore that means I REEEAALLY need decent power, so I believe the 685 flash can deliver the results based on all the reviews and Youtube videos I've seen. Plus the 685 flash only costs a freakin $99 currently on sale!

Much of the time, I don't need a flash on top of the hotshoe for still photography. Heck, I even find the built-in pop-up flash on the M50 to be quite sufficient for quick candids, especially at ISO 400. Instead, I will be doing more video shoots than stills, hence I have various LED video lights I will be using (in addition to various external microphone attachments). Also, cuz it's only $99, I may pick up a 2nd 685 flash so that one 685 flash on the M50 hotshoe can wirelessly trigger another 685 flash remotely.

Check out this Youtube video on 2 separate 685 flashes that can trigger each other remotely: https://youtu.be/2DOmPxpuAM0

c) How do their recycling times compare (430EX vs TT685 cs TT350)

The Canon 430 flash is decently fast, but I only had it for a short time and did test shots only, did not have a chance to use it for an event. The Godox 685 flash is also decently fast for recycle time based on my current test shots and seeing a bunch of reviews on this flash. The Godox 350 is well........slow for speed, but it's not a fair comparison cuz this small flash only takes 2 AA batteries whereas the other 2 flashes take 4. I actually did use the 350 flash for a 4 hour dinner reception event recently, and found the recycling time to be slow. Slow enough that I missed a bunch of shots whereby the flash didn't trigger cuz it was still recharging. Again, it's not a fair comparison cuz the sucker only takes 2 AA batteries.

I'm tempted to get this external Godox external battery for FAST charging for the 685 flash. I didn't even know this battery existed until I watched a Youtube video on this flash.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HKQVI98/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1TQFP7JY9MNQ4&psc=1

Thanks

You're welcome!

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,799

It would be interesting to know if the xt2 could work on the m6ii with the EVF

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more
dpeete Regular Member • Posts: 488

The V860 is 1.5 seconds vs 2.6 seconds for the TT685. That second can really matter at an event.

dpeete's gear list:dpeete's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Sony a7R III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +14 more

dpeete wrote:

The V860 is 1.5 seconds vs 2.6 seconds for the TT685. That second can really matter at an event.

For sure, that second or so does matter, I agree. But isn't that difference measured in full power output? I rarely switch to manual full power on a portable flash...that's what my new Godox AD200Pro is for! That AD200Pro flash outputs 200 watts of portable and wireless flash power with FAST recycle! When shooting with a speedlight on-camera, I'm usually shooting on TTL mode, bounced flash, at ISO 400 or even 800, hence recycle time is usually pretty quick. The only time I ever shot in manual mode is with my (old) Photogenic monobloc or DynaLight studio lights...cuz I had no choice but to shoot in manual mode, haha! That reminds me, I'm tempted to buy a Sekonic light meter cuz I sold my Minolta and Gossen meters long ago.

MAC wrote:

I don't know, does it have a hotshoe? I'm not familiar with the m6 camera. The XT2 transmitter works great, I only scratched the surface of its capabilities. It doesn't help that the written documentation on the device is severely lacking. That's why I have to watch many Youtube tutorials.

Alexis

Hi Casey,

Curious to know what made you return the Canon 430EX-RT and how does the 430EX compare in size to the TT685?

Thanks

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +13 more
yehudakgtbnet Senior Member • Posts: 1,930
Good Luck Casey.

Casey Cheung wrote:

My M50 has new pals! I've been wanting to get into wireless flash photography. To that end, I now have various Godox flash products for doing that.

1) Godox TT685c flash (for wireless on-camera and off-camera flash photography)

2) Godox AD200 Pro flash (only for wireless off-camera flash photography on a light stand with softbox)

3) Godox X2T remote wireless transmitter (to remotely trigger TT685 flash or AD200Pro flash. I chose this X2T unit over the XPro unit cuz it has a hotshoe on top to attach a flash)

4) Godox SL-60W LED video light (for doing video shoots, has a remote control for light adjustment)

I decided to return my Canon 430EX III-RT flash in favor of going all Godox for its wireless ecosystem.

Can't wait to start shooting stuff! Check out the attached pics...

4 different Godox light units

Godox 685c flash and Godox X2T remote transmitter

yehudakgtbnet's gear list:yehudakgtbnet's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,756

MAC wrote:

Sorry MAC, won’t work.  The M6/M6ii’s hotshoe is actually an “Accessory Port.”  The signal to the EVF is transmitted by the little contacts at the front of the hotshoe.  There’s no pass-through on any device that I know of yet.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 II

R2D2 wrote:

MAC wrote:

Sorry MAC, won’t work. The M6/M6ii’s hotshoe is actually an “Accessory Port.” The signal to the EVF is transmitted by the little contacts at the front of the hotshoe. There’s no pass-through on any device that I know of yet.

R2

Thanks R2.  As you know I use odin triggers.  I could probably use the back screen to focus with the m6ii in trigger situations

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more

Alexis wrote:

Hi Casey,

Curious to know what made you return the Canon 430EX-RT and how does the 430EX compare in size to the TT685?

Thanks

Hi Alexis,

Did I already answer your question previously? Not sure.

I returned the Canon flash cuz I didn't feel like getting a 2nd identical Canon flash for $249 just to have wireless remote triggering between the two devices. Also, I intended on getting the Godox AD200Pro flash, so the Canon flash would not have fit into the equation.

Going all Godox means everything is compatible for doing off-camera wireless flash photography. If I only wanted one single speedlight without consideration for a multiple wireless flash system, then just having the Canon flash alone would have sufficed.

As for size difference, the Godox 685 flash is noticeably larger and taller than the Canon 430EX. The Godox 685 flash on the M50 makes the camera top heavy both in weight and appearance, it's very noticeable. The Canon 430 flash actually looked good on top of the M50 hotshoe, even though the flash looked fat and stubby around the waistline. Maybe it looks fat around the waistline cuz the battery compartment is arranged in a square shape on the Canon flash, versus horizontally in a row for the Godox 685 flash.

Alexis

Casey Cheung wrote:

Alexis wrote:

Hi Casey,

Curious to know what made you return the Canon 430EX-RT and how does the 430EX compare in size to the TT685?

Thanks

Hi Alexis,

Did I already answer your question previously? Not sure.

YES YOU DID AND I MISSED IT - MASSIVE APOLOGY FROM ME!!!!!

I returned the Canon flash cuz I didn't feel like getting a 2nd identical Canon flash for $249 just to have wireless remote triggering between the two devices. Also, I intended on getting the Godox AD200Pro flash, so the Canon flash would not have fit into the equation.

Going all Godox means everything is compatible for doing off-camera wireless flash photography. If I only wanted one single speedlight without consideration for a multiple wireless flash system, then just having the Canon flash alone would have sufficed.

As for size difference, the Godox 685 flash is noticeably larger and taller than the Canon 430EX. The Godox 685 flash on the M50 makes the camera top heavy both in weight and appearance, it's very noticeable. The Canon 430 flash actually looked good on top of the M50 hotshoe, even though the flash looked fat and stubby around the waistline. Maybe it looks fat around the waistline cuz the battery compartment is arranged in a square shape on the Canon flash, versus horizontally in a row for the Godox 685 flash.

Alexis

H Casey

I just had a Godox crash course watching all the videos and I must say it got me both excited as well as a little troubled.

You see, aside from an ancient Canon 430EX (yes the 15-year-old original), I have a Canon 580EXII and a Phottix Mitros+ (it's like a 580EXII plus all the Phottix Odin remote trigger technology), so it's a little like your 685 with a slightly friendlier use interface.. I also have a separate Phottix Odin transmiter (lik your X2T) and a couple of TTL receivers. Aside from your very exciting AD200 my kit is similar to yours but mine follows the Phottix Odin route.
I used to be a part-time wedding photographer but have given it up (except for the odd friends weddings where I will rent the gear if I need to, or use my new gear - see below) and have given my 5DIII to my daughter (she's a full-time photographer) and sold some of my lenses (but kept Canon 85/1.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L IS as well as Sigma 18-55 f/2.8 EF-S)

My main camera now is the M50 paired with 22/2, 15-45, 55-200 EF-M lenses as well as the above 3 using the EF-EFM adaptor. Ignoring the 430EX flash (too slow to recycle), the other 2 guns are too big for the M50 (although they work perfectly) so I am planning on replacing the 580EXII with something smaller like the 430EX-RT although I will not be using the Canon RT system as I will have the Odin doing that (either from the Mitros+ gun or Odin trigger), so in effect I will be paying for something I will not use.

I was hoping to find something the size of the 430 that will have fast recycle (so forget the Godox TT350) and I am at a loose end. Any advice?

Thanks for raising the "flash" pandoras box as there are many of us here interested about the various options..

Regards

Alexis wrote:

H Casey

I just had a Godox crash course watching all the videos and I must say it got me both excited as well as a little troubled.

You see, aside from an ancient Canon 430EX (yes the 15-year-old original), I have a Canon 580EXII and a Phottix Mitros+ (it's like a 580EXII plus all the Phottix Odin remote trigger technology), so it's a little like your 685 with a slightly friendlier use interface.. I also have a separate Phottix Odin transmiter (lik your X2T) and a couple of TTL receivers. Aside from your very exciting AD200 my kit is similar to yours but mine follows the Phottix Odin route.
I used to be a part-time wedding photographer but have given it up (except for the odd friends weddings where I will rent the gear if I need to, or use my new gear - see below) and have given my 5DIII to my daughter (she's a full-time photographer) and sold some of my lenses (but kept Canon 85/1.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L IS as well as Sigma 18-55 f/2.8 EF-S)

My main camera now is the M50 paired with 22/2, 15-45, 55-200 EF-M lenses as well as the above 3 using the EF-EFM adaptor. Ignoring the 430EX flash (too slow to recycle), the other 2 guns are too big for the M50 (although they work perfectly) so I am planning on replacing the 580EXII with something smaller like the 430EX-RT although I will not be using the Canon RT system as I will have the Odin doing that (either from the Mitros+ gun or Odin trigger), so in effect I will be paying for something I will not use.

I was hoping to find something the size of the 430 that will have fast recycle (so forget the Godox TT350) and I am at a loose end. Any advice?

Thanks for raising the "flash" pandoras box as there are many of us here interested about the various options..

Regards

similar background here- use odins, 2 triggers, 3 receivers, did weddings, etc

with a small camera, I sometimes use a bracket with my 580exII

either the shoe cord

or the odin trigger mounted and the receiver on the bracket

the bracket choice and bracket handle gives the stability

but when I really want recycle speed, I put two 550's on my dual stand with 60 inch umbrella and they keep popping without missing a beat

Alexis

I have reasonable recycling with my 580exii and Phottix Mitros+ at the moment.

I am looking at something smaller to mount on my m50 - I think I have persuaded myself to buy the 430EXiii-RT - it's the right size and specification I think...

Alexis wrote:

I have reasonable recycling with my 580exii and Phottix Mitros+ at the moment.

I am looking at something smaller to mount on my m50 - I think I have persuaded myself to buy the 430EXiii-RT - it's the right size and specification I think...

$160 at canon refurb

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-speedlite-flashes

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads