S 16-50 DX mechanichal shutter option grayed out?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,486
S 16-50 DX mechanichal shutter option grayed out?

I did not check with the zoom, since the little one does not leave the z50 at the moment, but in the shutter type options the M only is gray while auto and electronics are always available.

Anybody has the same?

UPDATE: I tried the zoom same thing. Other Z lenses the option is available. Looks like Nikon has decided to make the kit lenses not compatible with the mechanical-shutter-only option.

fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z50 +2 more
ZapperVT Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: S 16-50 DX mechanichal shutter option grayed out?

fpessolano wrote:

I did not check with the zoom, since the little one does not leave the z50 at the moment, but in the shutter type options the M only is gray while auto and electronics are always available.

Anybody has the same?

PS: on z50

Manual has this note: "Mechanical shutter is not available with some lenses." No clue why though.  The Z6/Z7 manual does not have that note.

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +10 more
Virtual Photon Senior Member • Posts: 1,062

Weird.  Some interaction with the VR on the DXZ lenses?

Virtual Photon's gear list:Virtual Photon's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +7 more
fpessolano
OP fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,486

I saw it and this is why I was not worried too much I had a broken camera.

I have the feeling this has to do with the VR of the lenses. It would explain many things from why the VR does on work on my z7 to why S lenses have no VR (A design choice of Nikon maybe)

ZapperVT Regular Member • Posts: 167

Same thought just occurred to me.  Likely hypothesis.  Probably to avoid shutter shock in some conditions so they can claim 4.5 stops of VR.

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +10 more
chambeshi Senior Member • Posts: 2,363
waiting for new Firmware for Z6 and Z7....

And it must be official. See Top Left of manual for 16-50 DX.

This advises to upgrade to latest version of the Camera Firmware before using this lens on the Z6 or Z7, as otherwise....the camera may fail to correctly recognize the lens and features such as VR may be unavailable

Link to PDFs
https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/527/NIKKOR_Z_DX_16-50mm_f_35-63_VR.html

discussed here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63298667

chambeshi's gear list:chambeshi's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +19 more
fpessolano
OP fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,486
We are talking z50 not z6/7 ...
FrankG Senior Member • Posts: 2,040

fpessolano wrote:

Anybody has the same?

UPDATE: I tried the zoom same thing. Other Z lenses the option is available. Looks like Nikon has decided to make the kit lenses not compatible with the mechanical-shutter-only option.

Yes - mine is the same!

Frank

FrankG's gear list:FrankG's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z50
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads