New firmware for 16-80mm

Started Nov 11, 2019 | Discussions
Inpuressa
Inpuressa Regular Member • Posts: 192
New firmware for 16-80mm
 Inpuressa's gear list:Inpuressa's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +3 more
steviewonder20
steviewonder20 Regular Member • Posts: 215
Re: New firmware for 16-80mm

Inpuressa wrote:

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujinon-xf-16-80mmf4-r-ois-wr-firmware-1-02-released/

Let's see what's been fixed.

I couldn’t afford to wait for Fuji to fix this lens as my return period was only two days away. In terms of what needed fixing, it’s the OIS and AF. Even using electronic front curtain shutter, two second time delay and a tripod, images were blurry on the AF spot. Never had this with the 10-24, 18-55, 16-55, 23, 35, 56, 55-200 or 100-400 mm lens. If they actually sort out the problem I will try another copy as I had high hopes to take this lens to South America in December.

steviewonder20's gear list:steviewonder20's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a9 II Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +6 more
MartinLux Regular Member • Posts: 172

Has anyone installed? Any actual improvements?

MartinLux's gear list:MartinLux's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V Ricoh GR IIIx Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-T4 +3 more
tokumeino Veteran Member • Posts: 3,090
Waiting for shutter shock feedback

Thanks. I'd be happy to get feedback from people providing meaningfull examples for ES vs MS at 1/125s, as Clive99 or Karl or others do.

Karl Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: Waiting for shutter shock feedback

tokumeino wrote:

Thanks. I'd be happy to get feedback from people providing meaningfull examples for ES vs MS at 1/125s, as Clive99 or Karl or others do.

Would love to do that but I had returned mine last week because of the return deadline....Hope that somebody test some wide angle shots with structures in the borders. I could imagine that a misconfigured OIS leads to blurred images if the moving elements move at the wrong time. That is hopefully fixed with the new firmware...

yrc4 Regular Member • Posts: 108

Presumably, this will fix the reported shuttershock problems.  The release might explain why Amazon US is now saying the lens is unavailable.  Until two days ago, the store was reporting a 1-3 month delivery window.  Maybe Fujifilm woke up and decided to ship only after updating firmware.

yrc4's gear list:yrc4's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +1 more
WonderXMan Forum Member • Posts: 53

Inpuressa wrote:

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujinon-xf-16-80mmf4-r-ois-wr-firmware-1-02-released/

Let's see what's been fixed.

I hate it when Fujifilm is this vague:

1. Improvement of OIS function
  2. Improvement of AF accuracy
  3. Fix of slight defects.

Why not clearly tell customers, what exactly has been adressed? Focus wobble in video? Shutter shock? Etc... they should not hide behind formula like "fix of slight defects"

GCW1 Forum Member • Posts: 88

Quick update and not that scientific only Mech Shutter, as ES will always be sharper when pixel peeping. F8  80mm 1/15 to 1/500. looks okay to me, all sooc jpg, i can't see any signs of shuttershock.

1/500

1/250

1/180

1/125

1/60

1/30

1/15

GCW1's gear list:GCW1's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Canon EOS R6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM +5 more
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 21,145
Well, finally...

...and I'm sure more incremental fixes will be coming - but I'm glad I waited, rather than jumping right in (which I sometimes do).

But this whole 16-80 scenario bothers me personally.  On other forums (since I also use other brand gear), there are often statements about Fuji releasing cameras/gear that don't have mature FW.  I tend to come to Fuji's defense indicating the opposite, yet in the case of the 16-80, the release of this lens was sort of a marketing catastrophe.

This was such a long awaited optic - yet all the hoopla surrounding the issues with this lens, didn't bode well for Fuji (in this case).

Yes, I'll pick one up within the next 6 months or so - just glad I waited.

I too get peeved a bit when I see the lack of detail on what Fuji fixed in some of their FW update descriptions.  "Fixed other issues," or "Fixed minor issues" is too vague - kind of like trying to get us to believe that somehow Fuji used some special kind of sauce to fix problems that we shouldn't concern ourselves with.

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Canon EOS M Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 +5 more
Dario Andre Forum Member • Posts: 56

MartinLux wrote:

Has anyone installed? Any actual improvements?

I installed the new firmware some minutes ago. I did around 50 test shots at home, and my impression is that this firmware corrects the main problem I found with my copy of this lens: wrong focus at short distances (it persisted with the previous firmware version). My shots now were 100% with the focus spot on, with an XT1. I also did some test shots using electronic vs mechanical shutter, even at very slow speeds such 1/4 seconds, and the results were very good. Now I don’t have time to make further tests, by I will report when I do so. My first impression is very positive. I would like very much to hear other colleagues impressions on this as well.

Dario Andre's gear list:Dario Andre's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100F Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T4 +6 more
Finatil Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Well, finally...

The ship has sailed for me also. This lens has a long way to go in actually matching the official pre-release images.

Finatil's gear list:Finatil's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +2 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 18,878

Ben Herrmann wrote:

I too get peeved a bit when I see the lack of detail on what Fuji fixed in some of their FW update descriptions. "Fixed other issues," or "Fixed minor issues" is too vague - kind of like trying to get us to believe that somehow Fuji used some special kind of sauce to fix problems that we shouldn't concern ourselves with.

For better or worse, that's a prevailing practice with just about anyone who writes and distributes firmware updates... regardless of the device.  It's often a matter of not wanting to disclose information of a proprietary nature or simply what vendors regard as "need to know" information.

Jack Nicholson's famous quote in A Few Good Men immediately comes to mind: "You can't HANDLE the truth!"  A bit extreme, but perhaps how most companies dealing with firmware updates view this and simply prefer to keep it vague.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 8-16mm F2.8 Canon Pixma Pro-100 +1 more
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 12,983
Firmware Maxxed Out?

Great to see Fuji has fixed the firmware!

However, if the new firmware v1.02 is as good as it's going to get, it might point to a need to beef up the hardware (specifically the electronics around IS).

Fuji is known to make hardware enhancements without announcements, so maybe the second production run of the 16-80 will be even better than now, while using the very same firmware.

I prefer mechanical shutter on my X-T3, so I might be waiting a year or two before considering this lens.  Most users and potential users should be satisfied with this firmware update, though.

Now, let sales go through the roof!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 +14 more
fernandojval
fernandojval Regular Member • Posts: 361
Re: Firmware Maxxed Out?

It would be best to know from which serial number the lens hardware is improved.

fernandojval's gear list:fernandojval's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +3 more
Tom Schum

fernandojval wrote:

It would be best to know from which serial number the lens hardware is improved.

I agree, but does Fuji put out this information?

For example, does Fuji list this on the internet anywhere for lenses such as the 35mm F1.4?  I believe this is one lens in which hardware has been changed over the years.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 +14 more
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,699

I would be very impressed if they corrected the shutter shock issue with a firmware update. My impression was that this is mainly a hardware issue.

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 2,132

Ben Herrmann wrote:

...and I'm sure more incremental fixes will be coming - but I'm glad I waited, rather than jumping right in (which I sometimes do).

But this whole 16-80 scenario bothers me personally. On other forums (since I also use other brand gear), there are often statements about Fuji releasing cameras/gear that don't have mature FW. I tend to come to Fuji's defense indicating the opposite, yet in the case of the 16-80, the release of this lens was sort of a marketing catastrophe.

This was such a long awaited optic - yet all the hoopla surrounding the issues with this lens, didn't bode well for Fuji (in this case).

I too have been somewhat disappointed, for two reasons:

- I know for a fact that a prototype of the lens was being tested by a local photographer in Sept 2018, and had just been sent back to Fuji with his criticisms. Fuji had a long time to work out the issues with this lens, and it's obvious they didn't prioritize some. They truly released an unfinished lens this time.

- The ambassador reviews mentioned nothing about some of the problems seen in post-release reviews, such as in Christopher Frost's excellent review vid. Hopefully in the future the ambassadors will be a bit more thorough with their testing if they want their impressions to have any credibility.

Yes, I'll pick one up within the next 6 months or so - just glad I waited.

Me too, I cancelled my pre-order as soon as I saw some of the first detailed reviews. I can't afford to throw down  $1200 CDN for a lens with those kinds of issues. Very disappointing since it's a focal length I would really like to have.

I too get peeved a bit when I see the lack of detail on what Fuji fixed in some of their FW update descriptions. "Fixed other issues," or "Fixed minor issues" is too vague - kind of like trying to get us to believe that somehow Fuji used some special kind of sauce to fix problems that we shouldn't concern ourselves with.

Maybe coding errors for their firmware? Not really headline material...

-- hide signature --

"Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways." - Psalm 119:37

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-S10 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Tom Schum

Yannis1976 wrote:

I would be very impressed if they corrected the shutter shock issue with a firmware update. My impression was that this is mainly a hardware issue.

From other posts in this thread, it seems that shutter shock correction is almost perfect now.

This post is especially interesting:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63301395

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,743

fernandojval wrote:

It would be even better to know for sure there actually is or will be a hardware improvement

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Inpuressa
OP Inpuressa Regular Member • Posts: 192

robert1955 wrote:

fernandojval wrote:

It would be even better to know for sure there actually is or will be a hardware improvement

Hopefully, they stop using unobtanium for their material.

Inpuressa's gear list:Inpuressa's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads