Topaz Legacy v Topaz AI

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,975
Topaz Legacy v Topaz AI

I recently checked out Topaz.com to see if there was a recent upgrade of Topaz Detail, one of my favorite plug-ins. I guess I had not visited in a while because Detail was now placed in the Legacy category (as well as Denoise) and was no longer supported by the company. So, I downloaded a free trial of AI Sharpening. Playing around with it, I saw no advantage to that over Detail. Detail offers such a range of manual controls while I had to settle for what the software could give me with AI with a couple of sliders to alter the strength of the effect. Halos were the price I paid for my efforts.

Perhaps I need more time with the program, but, right now, I see zero advantage to this new software. I imagine the AI denoise plug-in is the same. I guess there is no such thing as lifetime support. For now, I will hold onto my legacy plug-ins with a firm grip.

What is the experience of owners of the old and/or new programs?

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +5 more
RobBurke Regular Member • Posts: 210
Re: Topaz Legacy v Topaz AI

I followed the transfer of plugins like Detail and Clarity into Topaz Studio, and was fairly happy with that. But then Studio was replaced by Studio 2. It still feels very unfinished compared to Studio 1, and I can’t find the presets that I liked in Clarity and in Studio 1.

I really like some of the Topaz filters, but I think that they have lost interest in the old dependable capabilities because they can sell the erratic AI filters to a new market. Sadly I suspect they have already lost interest in Studio 2 as well.

Pixel8888 Regular Member • Posts: 267

Check you free upgrade path with Topaz to ai tools and Studio2 filters in your topaz account. Topaz Studio 2 has so called 'filters'. One of them is precision detail, with about a dozen sliders. You quite likely get precision detail for free. Other great filters are AI Clear, precision contrast, hsl color tuning.

I did own a few of their plug ins, and go a ton of upgrades for free (standalone ai tools, Studio2 and multiple filters)

There just was a update to Studio 2.2.0 a few days ago, btw.

mangurian Contributing Member • Posts: 627

I have old man shakey hands and I have had AI Sharpen (stabilizer mode) do wonders for me.

Brev00
OP Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,975

Pixel8888 wrote:

Check you free upgrade path with Topaz to ai tools and Studio2 filters in your topaz account. Topaz Studio 2 has so called 'filters'. One of them is precision detail, with about a dozen sliders. You quite likely get precision detail for free. Other great filters are AI Clear, precision contrast, hsl color tuning.

Yes, I am familiar as I do have Studio 2.   The Detail feature in Studio does not have the variety of tools that Detail, the legacy plug-in, has.   At least not in the free version.  No differentiation between shadow, highlight, and overall detail.  Detail has ten different tone control sliders.  It has a lot of presets and I have made several of my own.

I did own a few of their plug ins, and go a ton of upgrades for free (standalone ai tools, Studio2 and multiple filters)

Yeah.  Not a big fan of Studio.  Just doesn't fit well into my workflow, and, as I have noted, my legacy plug-ins have a lot more controls.  Plus, I like working from my home base, Elements.   I just hope I can transfer the plug-ins to my new computer via time machine when the time comes as I can no longer get the programs downloaded from Topaz.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +5 more
Brev00

mangurian wrote:

I have old man shakey hands and I have had AI Sharpen (stabilizer mode) do wonders for me.

Ha!  I have deleted the word 'old' from my vocabulary.  Do not surrender into that good night!

I have been using the Adjust Sharpness tool in Elements for that purpose.  It has a motion blur setting that does a pretty good job with stabilizing  an image. Several controls, too.  Not that my hands ever shake 

CrisL Contributing Member • Posts: 523

Brev00 wrote:

Pixel8888 wrote:

Yes, I am familiar as I do have Studio 2. The Detail feature in Studio does not have the variety of tools that Detail, the legacy plug-in, has. At least not in the free version. No differentiation between shadow, highlight, and overall detail. Detail has ten different tone control sliders. It has a lot of presets and I have made several of my own.

Within studio 2 with the precision detail filter I see 7 sliders to adjust the details for each of the Overall the Shadow and the Highlight . Looks pretty efficient for me . I like studio 2

Yeah. Not a big fan of Studio. Just doesn't fit well into my workflow, and, as I have noted, my legacy plug-ins have a lot more controls. Plus, I like working from my home base, Elements. I just hope I can transfer the plug-ins to my new computer via time machine when the time comes as I can no longer get the programs downloaded from Topaz.

CrisL's gear list:CrisL's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon D300S +4 more
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,640

mangurian wrote:

Yes, this review at theonlinephotographer shows what it can do.

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2019/09/topaz-labs-sharpen-ai-artificial-common-sense.html

Ian

IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,640

Brev00 wrote:

Yeah. Not a big fan of Studio. Just doesn't fit well into my workflow, and, as I have noted, my legacy plug-ins have a lot more controls. Plus, I like working from my home base, Elements. I just hope I can transfer the plug-ins to my new computer via time machine when the time comes as I can no longer get the programs downloaded from Topaz.

You can download the legacy plugins from Topaz.

https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001521092-Previous-Versions

Ian

Brev00

Thanks!  Could come in handy.

Brev00

CrisL wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

Pixel8888 wrote:

Yes, I am familiar as I do have Studio 2. The Detail feature in Studio does not have the variety of tools that Detail, the legacy plug-in, has. At least not in the free version. No differentiation between shadow, highlight, and overall detail. Detail has ten different tone control sliders. It has a lot of presets and I have made several of my own.

Within studio 2 with the precision detail filter I see 7 sliders to adjust the details for each of the Overall the Shadow and the Highlight . Looks pretty efficient for me . I like studio 2

Do you have the pro version? Mine says there are pro features I don't have. Do you use it as a standalone app? I prefer going directly to the individual programs from my home base software.  I don't like playing with a whole other software universe. Anyway I don't see the advantage of the ai feature they are promoting. I will check out the video linked in another reply.

RobBurke Regular Member • Posts: 210

The changes are confusing, but perhaps not as bad as you think.

Firstly, both Studio 1 and Studio 2 can be called as plugins. Sure there is an extra step in Studio to select your filter, but that is offset by the convenience of being able to combine filters.

Secondly, it is Studio 1 not 2 that has Pro options. You should have got Pro Precision Detail (in Studio 1) for free, because of your earlier purchase of stand-alone Detail.

I think you should also have been offered Studio 2 at a discount because of your earlier purchase(s). (I can’t say how much, because I had most of the earlier filters, and got it for free.) Studio 2 includes versions of almost all the former Pro non-AI filters for everyone, including Precision Detail and Precision Contrast (my favourite). So they are still supported, but not in the way we were used to. For me Studio was an improvement because access from Lightroom is better than before.

I just wish that Topaz were more committed to developing Studio 2 than they appear to be.

Brev00

RobBurke wrote:

The changes are confusing, but perhaps not as bad as you think.

Firstly, both Studio 1 and Studio 2 can be called as plugins. Sure there is an extra step in Studio to select your filter, but that is offset by the convenience of being able to combine filters.

Secondly, it is Studio 1 not 2 that has Pro options. You should have got Pro Precision Detail (in Studio 1) for free, because of your earlier purchase of stand-alone Detail.

I think you should also have been offered Studio 2 at a discount because of your earlier purchase(s). (I can’t say how much, because I had most of the earlier filters, and got it for free.) Studio 2 includes versions of almost all the former Pro non-AI filters for everyone, including Precision Detail and Precision Contrast (my favourite). So they are still supported, but not in the way we were used to. For me Studio was an improvement because access from Lightroom is better than before.

I just wish that Topaz were more committed to developing Studio 2 than they appear to be.

Thanks for the heads up! I have been using Studio although I do have Studio 2 loaded as both a plug-in and a stand-alone. Topaz Studio comes up in my filter list right below Topaz Labs (my legacy filter collection). But Studio 2 comes up in the long list of filters when I click on Studio. So, I forgot all about it! And it does have Detail and Clarity.  No Adjust or BW Effects. I love the tone presets!  I guess you can recreate BW Effects using the separate tools.

I do have full functionality even though I got it as a free upgrade to Studio which did not have full functionality.

I saw a list of coming upgrades so it doesn't look like Topaz has abandoned it. One of the upgrades is a histogram. The lack of one is a major reason I did not use Studio and probably dismissed Studio 2 the time or two I tried it. Guess I did not examine its full range of features closely.  Topaz will add cropping and straightening and other basic tools. Studio 2, when it gets the upgrades, looks like a useable program. Not as devoted so strictly to 'artistic' renderings as Studio appeared to me to be.

This is very encouraging. Good to see that Detail and Clarity are still present in the Topaz universe.

Jack Sofield Senior Member • Posts: 2,537

Downloaded the upgrade to Studio 2 and now I cannot open Remask 5 from the Topaz listing of available apps.

Any one else????

-- hide signature --

Always teach for understanding, not agreement.
JC Sofield
www.pbase.com/jcsofield

Jack Sofield's gear list:Jack Sofield's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads