Tamron 17-28mm user experience

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Gregory Wilder Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: Tamron 17-28mm user experience

I bought both the tamron 17-28 and sony 16-35/f4. I prefer the Tamron, primarily due to size/weight and F2.8 vs F4. Going to return the Sony... may get the 16-35 F/2.8 some day or the 12-24.

OP SimonOL Senior Member • Posts: 1,867

EarthQuake wrote:

I've got the 17-28mm 2.8 and think it is a fantastic lens.

AF in general seems reliable, it struggles in the same situations on my A7 III that my other Sony lenses (35/1.8, 35/2.8, 85/1.8) struggle, namely in very low light with low contrast. I don't have either Sony 16-35mm lens to compare it to so I don't know if the AF is any better or worse. AF is very quiet and works well in video.

The distortion is noticeable if you go looking for it, but not much issue in real world use. You can clean it up in post for shots where it is problematic.

Image quality overall is very good.

I haven't used it for astro so can't comment there.

It's an exceptionally light weight lens for this class (2.8 ultra wide). The build quality is good. Yes, it's made of plastic, but that's why the weight is so light. It's the perfect UWA for traveling. Some will complain about the build quality - I would say if you think good build means really heavy and a metal vanity shell covering the lens (with a plastic interior, as pretty much all modern lenses have), you might be disappointed. But if you're looking for relatively small and lightweight option, it's the best choice in the system.

I wish it went to 15 or 16mm, that's my only complaint. 17mm is good enough for most things, but as others said, you can never go too wide. If you think 17mm won't be wide enough, I would consider the Sony 12-24/4 in addition to the Sigma 14-24mm.

One final positive here is that since it's limited to 17mm, it can take standard 67mm filters. If you want a zoom that gets significantly wider, you're going to have to resort to a third party filter adapter system (if you use filters).

Thanks very much for all the info

I'm 99% sure I'll go for the Tamron. The advantages seem to clearly outweigh the few disadvantages.

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II +1 more
jarvasm
jarvasm Regular Member • Posts: 215

SimonOL wrote:

mikedelderfield wrote:

Hi,

I'm loving the Tamron. Light, compact and great image quality. I have experienced the AF issue once, it wasn't a big deal for me; so it's a non-urgent firmware update required.

Here's a link to a 'astro' photo. Nice night but not great location only a few miles from Manchester, England so there's lot's of light pollution.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/dbpage.php?id=335991

I'd prefer a bit wider myself; but hey ho you can't have everything........

Thanks for more positive thoughts about the lens and for the sample.

There's no getting away from light pollution here either (about 20 miles south of central London)!

Wider would probably be better on occasion but I think I could live with 17mm quite happily.

If you can get away for a weekend to Wales there are nice dark areas in the Brecon Beacons or in Snowdonia.

-- hide signature --
 jarvasm's gear list:jarvasm's gear list
Sony a7 III Samyang 135mm F2.0 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +3 more
jarvasm

SimonOL wrote:

EarthQuake wrote:

I've got the 17-28mm 2.8 and think it is a fantastic lens.

AF in general seems reliable, it struggles in the same situations on my A7 III that my other Sony lenses (35/1.8, 35/2.8, 85/1.8) struggle, namely in very low light with low contrast. I don't have either Sony 16-35mm lens to compare it to so I don't know if the AF is any better or worse. AF is very quiet and works well in video.

The distortion is noticeable if you go looking for it, but not much issue in real world use. You can clean it up in post for shots where it is problematic.

Image quality overall is very good.

I haven't used it for astro so can't comment there.

It's an exceptionally light weight lens for this class (2.8 ultra wide). The build quality is good. Yes, it's made of plastic, but that's why the weight is so light. It's the perfect UWA for traveling. Some will complain about the build quality - I would say if you think good build means really heavy and a metal vanity shell covering the lens (with a plastic interior, as pretty much all modern lenses have), you might be disappointed. But if you're looking for relatively small and lightweight option, it's the best choice in the system.

I wish it went to 15 or 16mm, that's my only complaint. 17mm is good enough for most things, but as others said, you can never go too wide. If you think 17mm won't be wide enough, I would consider the Sony 12-24/4 in addition to the Sigma 14-24mm.

One final positive here is that since it's limited to 17mm, it can take standard 67mm filters. If you want a zoom that gets significantly wider, you're going to have to resort to a third party filter adapter system (if you use filters).

Thanks very much for all the info

I'm 99% sure I'll go for the Tamron. The advantages seem to clearly outweigh the few disadvantages.

One more advantage of the Tamron. Officially bought you can register it online and you get 5 year extended warranty for the peace of mind.

-- hide signature --
mikedelderfield
mikedelderfield Regular Member • Posts: 240

jarvasm wrote:

SimonOL wrote:

mikedelderfield wrote:

Hi,

I'm loving the Tamron. Light, compact and great image quality. I have experienced the AF issue once, it wasn't a big deal for me; so it's a non-urgent firmware update required.

Here's a link to a 'astro' photo. Nice night but not great location only a few miles from Manchester, England so there's lot's of light pollution.

There's no getting away from light pollution here either (about 20 miles south of central London)!

Wider would probably be better on occasion but I think I could live with 17mm quite happily.

If you can get away for a weekend to Wales there are nice dark areas in the Brecon Beacons or in Snowdonia.

Yeah, I went to Wales a couple of time last year just for holidays but with camera in hand. I was hoping to see some stars, but the clouds got in the way..........that's the UK for you.......:-(

-- hide signature --

Still looking for the artistic bone that must be somewhere in my body....
Gallery
http://r2-photography-uk.com
Insta https://www.instagram.com/r2_photography_uk

mikedelderfield's gear list:mikedelderfield's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 SSM II Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE +5 more
jarvasm

mikedelderfield wrote:

jarvasm wrote:

SimonOL wrote:

mikedelderfield wrote:

Hi,

Yeah, I went to Wales a couple of time last year just for holidays but with camera in hand. I was hoping to see some stars, but the clouds got in the way..........that's the UK for you.......:-(

Nothing is guaranteed, especially in Wales. There are quite good apps available nowadays. "Clear Outside"  is one of them I'm using for checking the cloud coverage.

-- hide signature --
voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,545
Tamron is plastic. And what?

My Sony 16-50PZ has metal shell. But that doesn't make its build quality great. The metal shell wobbles in relation to lens mount, and extending part wobbles in relation to  other parts.  It's simply the Sony style - surround the plastic internals with aluminum shell to make the lens look and feel more expensive at minimum expenses. 16-50PZ sales for 300$ in retail, BTW.

Tamron lenses are simply built in more common style, where plastic is widely used even for more or less premium products, like Sigma Art. Still the build quality and manufacturing tolerances of Tamron 17-28 are great. I especially like the internal zoom part, where you don't need zooming to particular setting before "parking" the lens.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +4 more
alan simpson Regular Member • Posts: 281

I am sure whichever you buy you will be happy with it, my 16-35 is on my A7iii most of the time, I was suprised how good the wide angle focal range is.

Keep a check on the prices, I paid £839 for the Tamron from Amazon (now £899), and Sony are offering £100 cashback on the 1635 at the moment making it £949. With Black Friday close by things can change quickly.

Good luck with you purchase.

alan simpson's gear list:alan simpson's gear list
Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +6 more
voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,545

Price difference hugely depends on market. My country benefits from US Tamron prices and suffers from EU Sony prices. This makes 24-105 100% more expensive than 28-75, and 16-35/4 is 50% more expensive than 17-28 - all in the same shop, with official warranty.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +4 more
Dirk W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,349
Sample image at 17mm attached

I just received this lens a couple days ago and am very happy with it. I attach a sample picture, not sure if it tells you much, just to get an impression maybe, taken at 17mm.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a5000 Sony a7R II +4 more

alan simpson wrote:

I am sure whichever you buy you will be happy with it, my 16-35 is on my A7iii most of the time, I was suprised how good the wide angle focal range is.

Keep a check on the prices, I paid £839 for the Tamron from Amazon (now £899), and Sony are offering £100 cashback on the 1635 at the moment making it £949. With Black Friday close by things can change quickly.

Good luck with you purchase.

Thank you Alan

I totally understand your preference for build quality - up until very recently, I've been shooting a variety of vintage lenses some of which are simply beautiful objects whether on the camera or not.

For this purpose, I think that f2.8 max. aperture and lighter weight would be more useful to me than a step up in build quality which are the primary reasons for tending more towards the Tamron lens. Also, I don't want to be too 'precious' with the lens and suspect the plastic might mark less easily than the metal shell of the Sony.

Much appreciate your input though

Re: Sample image at 17mm attached

Dirk W wrote:

I just received this lens a couple days ago and am very happy with it. I attach a sample picture, not sure if it tells you much, just to get an impression maybe, taken at 17mm.

Very nice Dirk

Thanks for the sample!

Dirk W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,349

In a 1:1 comparison with the Sony 16-35 f4 today the Sony showed being somewhat sharper (both lenses at F4), also in the edges. This, combined with the longer range and the OSS of the Sony made me return the Tamron (This can of course depend on the individual copies of the lenses).

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a5000 Sony a7R II +4 more
vlado29 Junior Member • Posts: 29

I had it for a few weeks but returned it back... I liked the compactness and also the picture quality (most of the time, stopped down), but mine had a strange issue (autofocus or focal plane tilt) that sometimes a big part of the frame was blurry, could not get why (see the atached pic, shot @ 17mm/f7.1, the lower right side is completely blurry). It only happened in some pictures (when I made a series of picture focusing on the same point, a small number of them was blurry in almost half of the picture)

With mine the it was als almost impossible to really get a flat focal plane, always different parts of the picture were in focus (it was not a classic decentering problem), maybe not that big of a deal but it bothered me anyway... (compared it to Batis 25, it was day and night, I could shoot Batis at f2 and the focal plane was dead flat, with the Tamron it was impossible to get a flat sharp picture at f2.8)

I also had 16-35/2.8 GM in the past, but that was a monster lens, too big and heavy (tamron is much much much better). It was also decentered on the wide end (already a 2nd copy, the first had half of the frame unusuable at 35mm f2.8 or f4), 10% of the picture would never get sharp (unacceptable for me at that price)

vlado29 wrote:

I had it for a few weeks but returned it back... I liked the compactness and also the picture quality (most of the time, stopped down), but mine had a strange issue (autofocus or focal plane tilt) that sometimes a big part of the frame was blurry, could not get why (see the atached pic, shot @ 17mm/f7.1, the lower right side is completely blurry). It only happened in some pictures (when I made a series of picture focusing on the same point, a small number of them was blurry in almost half of the picture)

With mine the it was als almost impossible to really get a flat focal plane, always different parts of the picture were in focus (it was not a classic decentering problem), maybe not that big of a deal but it bothered me anyway... (compared it to Batis 25, it was day and night, I could shoot Batis at f2 and the focal plane was dead flat, with the Tamron it was impossible to get a flat sharp picture at f2.8)

I also had 16-35/2.8 GM in the past, but that was a monster lens, too big and heavy (tamron is much much much better). It was also decentered on the wide end (already a 2nd copy, the first had half of the frame unusuable at 35mm f2.8 or f4), 10% of the picture would never get sharp (unacceptable for me at that price)

That's no good Not a problem I've seen mentioned in any reviews currently available but concerning for a potential buyer.

I wonder/speculate whether early demand for this lens has lead to some issues with QC as the factory tries to satisfy orders

Thankfully, I'm in no real hurry so decided to hold off purchasing the lens for now. It's still top of my list but I really don't want to go through the hassle of buying and returning copies in the hope of finding a good one.

MedicineMan999
MedicineMan999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,671

Replying to the OP.

I recently returned from a trip where I used the Tam 17-28 almost exclusively for landscaping (though occasionally the Tam 28-75). Here's an album using the 17-28. Hope that helps you make a decision-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/medicineman4040/albums/72157711008096211

MedicineMan999's gear list:MedicineMan999's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-3 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Sony RX100 V +57 more

MedicineMan999 wrote:

Replying to the OP.

I recently returned from a trip where I used the Tam 17-28 almost exclusively for landscaping (though occasionally the Tam 28-75). Here's an album using the 17-28. Hope that helps you make a decision-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/medicineman4040/albums/72157711008096211

Many thanks - those look great! Are the panoramas cropped or stitched?

I couldn't resist ordering the lens any longer - should have it by the weekend.

That will be my second FE AF lens I wonder if if will 'beat' a couple of film-era prime lenses from my little collection - like the well-regarded Pentax K 28/3.5 or Olympus OM 24/2.8 MC. It's just academic interest in such comparisons really and I certainly won't be doing any remotely scientific tests; the convenience of a wide zoom will be enough to overcome any minor deficiencies. Guess I'll find out soon enough!

vlado29 Junior Member • Posts: 29

I will also give the lens another chance (despite the problems), it's size is simly incredible, I also liked the fact that it does not extend while zooming very much... Want to replace Batis 25 with it.

This lens + Zeiss 55/1.8 would be all I need for travel

vlado29 wrote:

I will also give the lens another chance (despite the problems), it's size is simly incredible, I also liked the fact that it does not extend while zooming very much... Want to replace Batis 25 with it.

This lens + Zeiss 55/1.8 would be all I need for travel

I hope you have better luck this time

Keeping my fingers crossed that my copy is AOK. I've played the 'hunt the good copy' game before and have no desire to get involved with all that!

MedicineMan999
MedicineMan999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,671

Hey thanks Simon. You know it was until recent years that select few zooms could match wit with primes. The FE12-24G is certainly one of  them I've read at FredMiranda by Fred himself. Honestly I don't have any primo GM primes (well just remembered the FE 24/1.4) but on my most recent month in Alaska I only took the Tam 17-28 and 28-75. I operate under the 'close enough/good enough' approach to life and I understand many do not (the supreme pixel peeper). Each their own. I'll take a compromise in IQ that few would ever notice and less pack weight any day.

MedicineMan999's gear list:MedicineMan999's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-3 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Sony RX100 V +57 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads