Advice For New A7R II Owner On Full Manual Operation

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Curtis B
Curtis B New Member • Posts: 7
Advice For New A7R II Owner On Full Manual Operation

I recently picked up a used A7R II and a Fotodiox Fusion Smart AF Adapter Mark II adaptor for Nikon to Sony (as well as a Fotodiox for Canon FD/FL to Sony). The AF adaptor seems to work just fine on my newer G lenses but not so great for the AIS classics.

What I'm getting is test images where regardless of the setting on the lens it's shooting wide open. My question has probably come up before I'm guessing but I've looked all over and have not managed to correct it yet so if anyone has a link to something that addresses it I'd appreciate it.

The other thing is I also have some other vintage lenses and I got a basic plain jane Fotodiox for Canon FD to Sony as well. Same thing. It shoots wide open and can't be stopped down at the moment. I've gone through the menu innumerable times but here again if it's just something I'm missing I'd appreciate your advice.

I like the camera otherwise but part of the reason I opted to try it was my lens collection from the film days. I'm not sure I'd keep it if I can't get it to stop down correctly. I've messed with the setting that turns on the "effect" of stop down. It does nothing. It does not emulate the stopped down view.  No darkening etc.  The camera shoots at wide open and no other view comes up. It doesn't matter what the lens is set at.

I'd guessed the AF adaptor might be an issue with manual lenses so I tried the full manual adapter I got for the FD lenses. Fully manual lens, fully manual adaptor, with the camera on M. I'm probably missing something any thoughts?

Generally speaking I'm a person who operates a camera in manual mode most of the time but I'm new to the Sony system.  I'm interested in developing a Sony native lens assortment but the plan was to use the others too essentially.

An example of what I'm seeing is a lens shot at f1.4 or f16 but the camera is registering the same shutter speed.  I just shot a couple more test images.  I put a G 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 lens on and set the ISO way down to 50 and the A to 16 and an exposure of 1 second was about right.  Then I put on a 35mm f1.4 that's an AIS lens and stopped it all the way down as well.  I changed no setting on the camera itself which is set on M.  Totally blown out.  I'd expect it would be brighter since the one lens is faster than the other.  The proper shutter was about 1/250 on the manual lens.  Whether it was at f1.4 or f16.  The camera is registering f1.0.  Same thing whether the adaptor is smart or dumb.

Thoughts?  Advice?  Links?  Aren't supposed to be able to use these older lenses in some sort of fully manual mode?  Every one says they work fine so I assume I have something set wrong.

Curtis B's gear list:Curtis B's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +20 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,111
Re: Advice For New A7R II Owner On Full Manual Operation

I'm not familiar with the Nikon smart adapters, so I can't help that much there.

For the FD adapter, though, there should be an open/close ring on the adapter. It needs to be set to open when mounting the lens, then you set it to close to engage the FD stop down lever. Aperture is set using the aperture ring on the lens, and you will see the aperture blades moving in the lens as you adjust it.

The camera will have no idea what lens or aperture was used. You will need to manually set the IBIS focal length for stabilization to work correctly. If you want to record the aperture or lens model in EXIF, you'll need to add the Lens Corrections app, and use that when shooting - I don't use it, and I don't miss this information much.

If you'e shooting at a small aperture, you might want to focus with the lens open first (either by using the Open/Close ring, or the aperture ring) so that you have a clearer plane of focus to show in peaking and even in magnification. Then you can stop down to take your shot. For large to mid apertures on normal to long lenses, focusing with the lens stopped down works fine.

One other thing to be aware of with Canon FD and nFD lenses is that, for most nFD lenses, the way I've described above is the only way it works. For FD lenses (the breech lock ring ones), you can usually push the aperture stop down lever up until it locks in place. Then the aperture will be stopped down all the time, and you don't have to worry about the Open/Close (sometimes labeled Lock/Unlock or somesuch) ring on the adapter. If you also shoot FD bodies with these lenses, make sure to unlock the aperture lever before using the lens on the FD body, as leaving it locked will result in incorrect exposure in the film cameras.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D200 +17 more
Mike Evangelist
Mike Evangelist Contributing Member • Posts: 509

I don't think those adapters can control the aperture of older lenses (like the AIS Nikkors). If you look through front of the lens you'll see the aperture doesn't change.

Mike Evangelist's gear list:Mike Evangelist's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro +5 more

Actually, one thought: for the Nikon adapter and lenses, try setting the lens to F22 and see if you can set the aperture on the camera. There may be some setup you need to do for the adapter, though, to tell it what lens you have attached.

On my D200, an AI-s lens has to be used in M mode, and the aperture is set on the lens aperture ring. An AF-Nikkor lens, though (screw drive), has its aperture ring set to F22 and the actual aperture is set using the camera's control wheels.

When I use an AI-s lens on my A7R2, there's an Open/Close ring on the adapter that needs to be set to closed, and the aperture is then set using the aperture ring on the lens. If I forget to set the ring to closed, the aperture remains wide open regardless of what's set on the ring.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D200 +17 more

I just took a closer look at how the aperture lever works on my Nikon AI-s lens. It is actually the opposite of how the Canon works. With Canon, the lens is open by default, and the lever must be pushed to stop the lens down. With Nikon, the lens is stopped down by default, and the lever is pushed to open it. The AI-s coupling attaches to a sensor lever to tell the camera where the aperture ring is set.

If the Fotodiox is leaving that lever pressed the whole time, that sounds like a bit of a bug on their end. They should leave it un-pressed by default, so the lens can stop down and meter and focus that way.

-- hide signature --

Curtis B
OP Curtis B New Member • Posts: 7

Thanks for the input.  I've been looking at the adaptor for the canon lens.  It pushes the lever over when you close it but then when you move the aperture ring you don't see the blades do anything.  That's on two lenses.  Not sure if it isn't pushing it far enough over.

Fujifilm X100F Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +20 more
Curtis B

OK so on a different note if you use adapted FD lenses here's another way to look at the issue possibly. It may be I just have the wrong adaptor for the nikkors we'll see about that as I already ordered a separate one for non-G lenses.

On the subject of Canon FD lenses which adaptors work for you?

I have the basic Fotodiox that costs about $20. I was looking and I see there are some other variations that include an aperture ring in the design. I also contacted them to determine if that cheap one results in no aperture control etc in some situations. Otherwise why have the control ring in the more expensive unit? At this point i'm thinking of exchanging and trading up to the better model.

Just curious if anyone has experience with Fotodiox etc and has a product recommendation or any thoughts along those lines.

The one I have.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1413077-REG/fotodiox_fd_snye_lens_mount_adapter_for.html

The pro model I'm referring to.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1150786-REG/fotodiox_fd_nex_p_pro_lens_mount_adapter.html

Among the differences one has an aperture ring.  One does not hence it just made me wonder.  You can bet if I discover that's why I'm having a problem and they didn't disclose up front there's a limitation I'll do a review relating the experience.  One would think not.  There is a small pole that appears to interact with the aperture.  Yet it is not working all the same.

Here's an example of a nFD 50/1.4 properly mounted and stopped down. Note the position of the adapter pin relative to the lens aperture lever.

Almost all the FD adapters are the same. None of them have aperture rings, and none of them need aperture rings, because all FL/FD/nFD lenses have aperture rings on the lens.

Did you set the ring on the adapter to Open before mounting the lens? That is very important. If you don't do that, either the lever ends up on the wrong side of the pin, doing nothing, or the lever and the pin hit each other, possibly resulting in damage to either or both of the lens or adapter.

I have about half a dozen of the cheap FD adapters. They all work decently well.

-- hide signature --

Curtis B

yup that looks the same as here.  pretty straight forward etc.  I'll check it again today and see what's what.  I did have it set to open and then closed it after attaching.  The mechanism is sort of obvious once it's pointed out.  I'm sure I'll figure it out.  I was thinking it was some sort of setting on the camera so actually it's good it's mechanical lol.  I'm getting to know the sony menu system better in the process.

Curtis B

Has anyone encountered a difference adapting FD lenses in terms New FD versus the older breech mount or ssc marked lenses?

i had thought they should both work on this Fotodiox adapter I have.  Low and behold I now have two lenses that won’t stop down with this adaptor but one that will.  I compared them and the one that does is the breech mount that has metal pins versus plastic ones on the newer models.  It looks like it should be the same but the construction is different.

Thing is I don’t have a lot of FD glass just yet.  I’m sort of a collector though but while I’d like to adapt it to the Sony A7R II i also have and intend to use a Canon A-1 35mm camera.  Since one lens actually does function with the fotodiox I’ll probably just try a couple other adaptors just to see.  Once they get here etc.

All three seem to work fine on the film camera interestingly.  I’ll run a roll through it and see.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads