Gimbal compatibility for X-T3

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Protea Junior Member • Posts: 35
Gimbal compatibility for X-T3

I’m interested to know what gimbals people are using on Fuji cameras for filming, particularly the X-T3, and how well do they work?

I had been waiting for the next line of Sony’s APSC mirrorless cameras (A6600) to come out with the capability of 4K 60p, and might have even considered the step up to the A7 series if it also delivered this.

When this didn't happen I started to find out more about the X-T3, which actually seems to lead the way with video across its competitors, and also matches up well enough in the stills department.

What I found surprising though is that it doesn’t benefit from full integration with gimbal manufacturers. At the very least I was hoping to have start/stop recording to be controlled from the gimbal. As I’m doing short bursts of recording for sports I’m concerned that this will be too awkward to do via the button on the camera each time and will impact on the fluid use of the gimbal.

The Ronin SC seems to be a good option for smaller mirrorless cameras and I have read that there is supposedly a new cable that was recently released to increase compatibility for Fuji cameras, but I’ve not been able to confirm whether it definitely delivers better integration for the X-T3.
Another recently introduced gimbal is the Zhiyun Weebill S which has some great possibilities with underslung modes, but again it only seems to be able to balance with the X-T3 and nothing more than that.

It seems such a pity that while the X-T3 has top notch video, there is a lack of support for it with other products, and particularly with gimbals. To some degree the broad product support is why I was considering buying into the Sony line in the first place, so I feel a bit anxious that I’m going to hit some dead-end situations with Fuji.

Interested to know if others have overcome the limitations of gimbals on their Fuji cameras.

Thanks

Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a6600 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Scheveningen4Life
Scheveningen4Life New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Gimbal compatibility for X-T3

I have the DJI Ronin SC with the X-T3 and can confirm the special RSS cable for Fuji (part 16) does work for video as well.

Received the cable yesterday and did a quick test this afternoon.

-- hide signature --

Michiel

Scheveningen4Life's gear list:Scheveningen4Life's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Panasonic G85 Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +15 more
OP Protea Junior Member • Posts: 35
Ronin SC cable for X-T3

Scheveningen4Life wrote:

I have the DJI Ronin SC with the X-T3 and can confirm the special RSS cable for Fuji (part 16) does work for video as well.

Hi Michiel,

That's great news. Are you able to confirm exactly what functions the cable allows you to do with the X-T3? Is it just the ability to start and stop recording?

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Peter

Foxjet Regular Member • Posts: 439
Re: Ronin SC cable for X-T3

Protea wrote:

Scheveningen4Life wrote:

Hi Michiel,

That's great news. Are you able to confirm exactly what functions the cable allows you to do with the X-T3? Is it just the ability to start and stop recording?

Thanks,

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin_SC/20190926/Ronin_SC_Camera_Compatibility_List_en_0926.pdf.pdf

This PDF on the DJI web site has the functions of the cable spelled out.

Foxjet's gear list:Foxjet's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3
Scheveningen4Life

Protea wrote:

Hi Michiel,

Thanks,

Yes, RSS cable works for auto focus, take photo and start/stop video. RSS is for shutter function only I believe. The powering function does not work anymore (that of course only works when using the USB-C to USB-C cable which is included).

When I check the Camera Settings in the Ronin app, only option listed for 'Camera: Fuji' is 'Focus Speed'. This is set to 'slow', but I cannot change that.

So, all Ronin app functions like Force Mobile, ActiveTrack Pro, Panorama, Timelapse do work.

-- hide signature --

Michiel

Fujifilm X100F Panasonic G85 Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +15 more

Foxjet wrote:

Protea wrote:

Scheveningen4Life wrote:

Hi Michiel,

Thanks,

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin_SC/20190926/Ronin_SC_Camera_Compatibility_List_en_0926.pdf.pdf

Thanks Richard. I had seen that, but a couple Fuji owners on the DJI forum still seemed to be having issues.

Good to get the confirmation here.
Awesome photos in your Flickr page, especially the dragonfly ones - just stunning!
I notice that you sometimes use a Canon 180mm macro - is that with a Fringer macro? Interested if you moved from a Canon setup or did you get this specifically to use on a Fuji, and if so why a Fuji and not a Canon body?

-- hide signature --

Peter

Scheveningen4Life wrote:

Protea wrote:

Hi Michiel,

Thanks,

Yes, RSS cable works for auto focus, take photo and start/stop video. RSS is for shutter function only I believe. The powering function does not work anymore (that of course only works when using the USB-C to USB-C cable which is included).

When I check the Camera Settings in the Ronin app, only option listed for 'Camera: Fuji' is 'Focus Speed'. This is set to 'slow', but I cannot change that.

So, all Ronin app functions like Force Mobile, ActiveTrack Pro, Panorama, Timelapse do work.

Thanks again Michiel

-- hide signature --

Peter

Nikonmaniac0620 Forum Member • Posts: 71

Hey guys. Would Ronin SC be compatible with a gripped XT2? What about other gimbals that can take the gripped XT2?

Foxjet Regular Member • Posts: 439

Protea wrote:

Foxjet wrote:

Protea wrote:

Scheveningen4Life wrote:

Hi Michiel,

Thanks,

Thanks Richard. I had seen that, but a couple Fuji owners on the DJI forum still seemed to be having issues.

Good to get the confirmation here.
Awesome photos in your Flickr page, especially the dragonfly ones - just stunning!
I notice that you sometimes use a Canon 180mm macro - is that with a Fringer macro? Interested if you moved from a Canon setup or did you get this specifically to use on a Fuji, and if so why a Fuji and not a Canon body?

Peter, thanks for checking out and commenting on my Flickr!

I had been shooting Canon since 2005 and so had some nice lenses in my collection when I discovered the Fuji X system. I bought the Fringer Pro adapter when it first came out and use it with my various X system Fuji bodies. I wish Fuji had a macro equivalent to the Canon 180 but until they do I'm happy to have this substitute.

Why Fuji? I like the small form factor with all the dials and buttons. The electronic viewfinder is a huge advantage for shooting manual exposure. Firmware updates.....Need I go on?

Cheers and good shooting!

Foxjet's gear list:Foxjet's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3
Bionic963 Contributing Member • Posts: 556

I have the X-T3 with the MOZA AirCross 2 Gimble.

-- hide signature --

Brook

BimalNaik New Member • Posts: 7

What is the compatibility with xt3.please mention.

BimalNaik wrote:

What is the compatibility with xt3.please mention.

It does shutter, record, & auto focus.  It comes with the required cables to connect to various cameras.

MOZA AirCross 2 Camera Compatibility List

-- hide signature --

Brook

Bionic963 wrote:

Would a gripped xt3 fit?

Great to see that there are a good few gimbals that can be considered.

A further aspect that I’m keen to understand is what capability is there for using the zoom on any of these gimbals? I’m obviously only considering short range zooms for lenses that are indicated as compatible e.g. 18-55.

I understand that balancing the lens midway can provide some scope for using the zoom.

Is it practical from a filming sense to do some smooth zoom adjustments with one hand while holding the gimbal with the other?

Or does anyone connect the focus servo motor that the Ronin SC has to control zoom with the focus wheel, and does this work smoothly enough without being a huge hassle to setup each time?

I feel tempted to consider Sony with its 18-105 power zoom that integrates so well with the Ronin gimbals, but then feel like I’m passing up so much that the XT3 has to offer in other areas.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Peter

Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 1,132

It might be worth waiting until the December firmware release and see how that affects the functionality available with each product line.

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30
Scheveningen4Life

Greybeard2017 wrote:

It might be worth waiting until the December firmware release and see how that affects the functionality available with each product line.

Yes, good advice! Just noticed the announcement and particularly the following statement:

The upcoming update will enable controls for video recording from Gimbal / Drone via USB communications. You can combine the X-T3 with a Gimbal / Drone that supports this function to significantly broaden your shooting options. FUJIFILM is in communication with SZ DJI Technology Col, Ltd.* and ZHIYUN** (listed in the alphabetical order) about their plan to release compatible products. Fujifilm also plans to deploy this function to the FUJIFILM X-T30 and other models. Further firmware updates in the future will bring autofocus enhancement and other improvements to the X-T3.

Looks like I have an obsolete DJI Ronin SC Fuji RSS cable soon...

-- hide signature --

Michiel

Nikonmaniac0620 wrote:

Bionic963 wrote:

Would a gripped xt3 fit?

I don't see why it wouldn't.

-- hide signature --

Brook

I just purchased the VG-XT3 Vertical Battery Grip, 2 Extra Batteries, and the XF 50-140mm F2.8 R LM OIS WR Lens from Amazon. Should be delivered tomorrow. I will be able to let you know 1st hand how this all works with the Aircross 2 Gimble.

Usually with a gimble you want your payload as light as possible. So I would think you would not want to run the X-T3 with the battery grip while on the gimble.. But at least we will know if the Aircross 2 can support all the weight if you wanted to run it like.

-- hide signature --

Brook

Bionic963 wrote:

I just purchased the VG-XT3 Vertical Battery Grip, 2 Extra Batteries, and the XF 50-140mm F2.8 R LM OIS WR Lens from Amazon. Should be delivered tomorrow. I will be able to let you know 1st hand how this all works with the Aircross 2 Gimble.

Usually with a gimble you want your payload as light as possible. So I would think you would not want to run the X-T3 with the battery grip while on the gimble.. But at least we will know if the Aircross 2 can support all the weight if you wanted to run it like.

That's awesome. It would be great if you can follow up on your finding as soon as you have something.

KarenImages Forum Member • Posts: 59

I don't have an X-T3 but the Ronin SC didn't work with my X-H1 and the 16-55mm

The main reason was there was not enough space.

I also found the SC probably is better for a lighter camera.

So it might depend upon what lenses you want to use.

Waiting for another brand of Gimbal to come out....

See an earlier forum post I wrote for more detail.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads