What do you use alongside your Z?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
goactive Senior Member • Posts: 1,771
Re: What do you use alongside your Z?

You say no 1 inch buy if you pick up a Nikon 1 system j5 it produces fantastic images that when shooting outdoors you will not be able to tell the difference from it and say a Nikon D500. Indoor it is not far off as well.

Here are some of my J5 galleries.

I have shot it side by side with the D500 many times and the J5 produces great images that are tack sharp and print great. Also with the 70-300 lens, it turns it into an 820mg lens that is fantastic for events and sports better than my D500 was.

I have yet to find another small camera that I would want to use. Looking at the new Nikon Z50 but it is still larger and I would miss the extra zoom I get from the J5.

https://edwardmorganworldofphotography.smugmug.com/Creative-Fun-With-The-Nikon-1-

I started shooting digital back with the first 2MP cameras. Over 20 cameras later still going. I shoot family and people portraits, weddings, Sports and a little of everything.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 +21 more
goactive Senior Member • Posts: 1,771
Re: What do you use alongside your Z?

I have the same setup two z6s and a Fuji X100F but I still find I like as a fun walk around camera my Nikon J5 and for sports the J5 with 70-300 giving me 820mm nothing can beat that for quality and size.

I got the X100F for the leaf shutter but I now almost never use it. I need to sell it. its like new I did more testing with it than anything. On real jobs it's just so strange to use for the leaf shutter but that does work well. The viewfinder is way to small and low quality.

Brian Homer wrote:

Not unlike the OP I have tended not to walk round with my main camera(s). I now have two Z6s but usually when walking etc use my Fuji X100F with wide and tele adapters. My criteria are different as with the Fuji I trade pocketability with IQ and handling. I’ve always got my iPhone Se in my pocket.
However a Z6 with the 24-70 kit lens while not pocketable is now an option as an alternative to the Fuji X100 kit - size and weight not bad and IQ better.

Nice to have choices but for me I can manage without a viewfinder on a phone but prefer a camera to have one.

-- hide signature --

Started shooting digital back with the first 2MP cameras. Over 20 cameras later still going. I shoot family and people portraits, weddings, Sports and a little of everything.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 +21 more
Mach Schnell Senior Member • Posts: 2,907
D5500, D5300 (IR conversion, n/t
 Mach Schnell's gear list:Mach Schnell's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon 85mm F1.8G +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads