What do you use alongside your Z?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Bridgehouse Regular Member • Posts: 305
What do you use alongside your Z?

I know this might not seem totally Z related, but I value the opinions of those of you who have invested in the Z mount like me.

The Z7 has been a camera that has got me back into the hobby as strongly as I’ve ever been in the past - I’m a film shooter as well, and I’m shooting as much with the Z7 as I do with film nowadays..

I’ve had a lot of digital cameras in the last 20 years, and for the first time I feel I have one which ticks enough of the boxes to really invest in a system heavily.

However, there’s one area where the Z7 doesn’t fit the bill entirely - and that’s the pocketable carry about camera.

As a film shooter, I’ve got a whole range of cameras I take out and about with me for casual shots - the most used is an old Olympus XA2.

The Z7 gets used for organised days out shooting, portraits, landscapes, a bit of Astro, digitising film, and pretty much any time I’m going out with the intention of spending the day shooting. It’s done museums aplenty, motorsport shooting and all sorts in between.

However, it’s not a camera for slipping in a jacket pocket and casually carrying around for snaps. I’d like a digital so I don’t have to necessarily take a film camera out with me for this purpose.

My criteria:

- Cheap (I want to spend my cash on Z lenses!)

- Fits in a jacket pocket

- Large sensor - at least m43 (not keen on 1” as I tried an RX100 and didn’t like the output)

- Must have a viewfinder/EVF - I just can’t do the whole peering at a screen - I’ve used film compacts for too long..

- New or used, don’t care as long as it’s good quality

- Fixed or interchangeable lens - if it’s an ILC there needs to be a good pancake option to keep the size down

- Reasonable ergonomics - the Z has spoilt me tbh as I love the Nikon way of doing things

What are you guys using as a small compact lightweight cheap travel and pocketable companion to your Z’s?

Bridgehouse's gear list:Bridgehouse's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
Fujifilm X-A2 Nikon Z7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 6,464
Re: What do you use alongside your Z?

Bridgehouse wrote:

I know this might not seem totally Z related, but I value the opinions of those of you who have invested in the Z mount like me.

The Z7 has been a camera that has got me back into the hobby as strongly as I’ve ever been in the past - I’m a film shooter as well, and I’m shooting as much with the Z7 as I do with film nowadays..

I’ve had a lot of digital cameras in the last 20 years, and for the first time I feel I have one which ticks enough of the boxes to really invest in a system heavily.

However, there’s one area where the Z7 doesn’t fit the bill entirely - and that’s the pocketable carry about camera.

As a film shooter, I’ve got a whole range of cameras I take out and about with me for casual shots - the most used is an old Olympus XA2.

The Z7 gets used for organised days out shooting, portraits, landscapes, a bit of Astro, digitising film, and pretty much any time I’m going out with the intention of spending the day shooting. It’s done museums aplenty, motorsport shooting and all sorts in between.

However, it’s not a camera for slipping in a jacket pocket and casually carrying around for snaps. I’d like a digital so I don’t have to necessarily take a film camera out with me for this purpose.

My criteria:

- Large sensor - at least m43 (not keen on 1” as I tried an RX100 and didn’t like the output)

- Must have a viewfinder/EVF - I just can’t do the whole peering at a screen - I’ve used film compacts for too long..

- Fixed or interchangeable lens - if it’s an ILC there needs to be a good pancake option to keep the size down

- Reasonable ergonomics - the Z has spoilt me tbh as I love the Nikon way of doing things

What are you guys using as a small compact lightweight cheap travel and pocketable companion to your Z’s?

Which RX100 did you try, and specifically what didn't you like about the output?

The reason I ask is that Physics are against you. I find it interesting that you mentioned a sensor size, but not an aperture. However, both of these are used in concert to determine image quality.

F/1.8-2.8 on a 1" sensor is remarkably similar at most ISOs to F/3.5-5.6 on an APS-C (except for APS-C ISO 100 & 200, where the sensors are the their best anyway). The newer RX100's actually sacrifice light gathering ability for increased zoom, so if you tried these newer ones, you may have tried the wrong ones.

FWIW, my goto system for this was always my Panasonic GM1, pictured here with 2 fast lenses and a set of car keys. It has no viewfinder, but the slightly larger GM5 has one, as do some of the newer cameras of similar size.

The lenses are a 20mm F/1.7 (40mm F/3.5 full-frame equivalent), and 42.5mm F/1.7 (85mm F/3.5 equivalent):

If I was picking a system today though, I'd seriously consider a fixed-lens, 1" sensor with an F/1.8-2.8 lens, which is significantly smaller than the m4/3 ILC and two lenses pictured but pretty close in general.

It's too bad Nikon killed the DL's. Maybe they'll release an even smaller camera than the Z50 to be used with the new pancake 16-50, but I doubt it.

Droster Contributing Member • Posts: 532

My iPhone 11 Pro is my tool of convenience. I used to have an LX100 for that purpose.

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
KR Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 768

Z50 is jacket pocketable with the 16-50. Not cheap but you’d be continuing your investment in the system.

But I echo what someone else said: DL would have been perfect. But retrospect I’m guessing they scuttled it to focus on Z, which I do think they hit out of the park.

KR Photo's gear list:KR Photo's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Kamukix Regular Member • Posts: 473

I just got my Z6 two days ago to see how I like it back in Nikon land again (I left back in 2015 once I'd jumped into Olympus m43 land with an e-m10 and then an e-m5ii) now that there is a proper mirrorless option. I've shot with DSLR (and some film way back when) bodies for a long long time, but I found that I began leaving my gear at home too much so I wanted to spice it up and give mirrorless a try with the e-m10 and the kit lens and use nothing but that for 30 days...after 14 days I sold almost everything else I owned and bought some primes haha.

Anyway here I am back in Nikon land and I'm loving my Z6 so far using the FTZ and a 50mm 1.8g as that's my favorite focal length. I shipped off my e-m5ii and prime lenses (25/45mm f/1.8 and 25/45mm f/1.2) the same day so all I have left is the Z6 and my e-m1ii with a few basic lenses I didn't use much (zoom lenses for kits).

Well...I regret selling the e-m5ii INSTEAD of the e-m1ii because I would really love to have that body with a 17mm lens permanently attached without any extra grips (I had the full HLD-8 setup for mine). The e-m5ii is the perfect size for a very powerful camera while still being small and easily able to throw in a jacket pocket with a small lens attached to it.

Perhaps the new e-m5iii would be even better for that since it's smaller, or go with the e-m10iii which should be about the perfect size. Either throw on a pancake zoom (14-42mm) or a fixed prime lens (my preferred choice) like the 25mm or even smaller the 17mm and I think you're golden.

I'm pretty sure I'll be selling my e-m1ii very soon and replacing it with one of those again instead. It's a FANTASTIC camera and I like many things about it more than the Z, but I don't need them both and I'd be much better served with the smaller camera and a single fixed prime to go with my Z.

-- hide signature --

I love people

Kamukix's gear list:Kamukix's gear list
Nikon D200 Pentax K-5 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M5 II +15 more
madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 5,939

Nikon 1 V3 and a few lenses.

I really like the kit. Would be very cool to have an adapter allowing my S lenses to work

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +17 more
beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 6,464

madecov wrote:

I really like the kit. Would be very cool to have an adapter allowing my S lenses to work

I would have also recommended the Nikon 1, but unfortunately I found the lens lineup to be really lacking. The combination of small sensor and slow lenses always made this a tough call for me, with only 1 exception: the 18.5mm F/1.8 prime lens.

(I do own a Nikon 1 J3 with this lens, but it doesn't have a viewfinder. The focus & usability is better on the Nikon, but my Panasonic has a much better lens selection).

I liked the idea of the 32mm F/1.2 portrait lens, but once the price tag is involved, it becomes considerably less appealing. Also, much better done on the Panasonic, with its 42.5mm F/1.7.

And all of the other Nikon 1 lenses are slow, making this more-or-less competitive with phones, unless you want more reach (at which points the combination is often too large for a pocket).

Just my 2 cents.  YMMV.

john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,799

Bridgehouse wrote:

My criteria:

Panasonic LX100.  Version 1 is 12.8 mp and reasonably priced.  Version 2 is 20mp and much more expensive.  But your 45mp may have you spoiled for low mp bodies.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 +17 more
madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 5,939

beatboxa wrote:

madecov wrote:

I would have also recommended the Nikon 1, but unfortunately I found the lens lineup to be really lacking. The combination of small sensor and slow lenses always made this a tough call for me, with only 1 exception: the 18.5mm F/1.8 prime lens.

(I do own a Nikon 1 J3 with this lens, but it doesn't have a viewfinder. The focus & usability is better on the Nikon, but my Panasonic has a much better lens selection).

I liked the idea of the 32mm F/1.2 portrait lens, but once the price tag is involved, it becomes considerably less appealing. Also, much better done on the Panasonic, with its 42.5mm F/1.7.

And all of the other Nikon 1 lenses are slow, making this more-or-less competitive with phones, unless you want more reach (at which points the combination is often too large for a pocket).

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

I have the V3 with viewfinder, zooms and primes. For a quick grab and go it still beats most cell phones for image quality and is reasonably small (maybe not pocketable) . But still light weight and tiny.

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +17 more
adam49 Forum Member • Posts: 87

Bridgehouse wrote:

My criteria:

Pentax K-1 Mark II

-- hide signature --

adam

StevieF Contributing Member • Posts: 725

Well, I suppose you’ll get all sorts of replies to your question so here’s my 2 cents (or 2p as I’m sitting in the UK!)

Always a huge fan of the Ricoh GR line - APS-C sensor and the 2.8 lens quality is stunning. The set up options are amazing, the 28 mm focal length can be cropped to 35 and 47. The ‘one shot’ grab ability is also neat. No viewfinder, true, but I have an OVF (not EVF) which fits on to give the fields of view - although that could be hard to find.

The Coolpix A came out at the same time which was very similar, but significantly more expensive! Very good if you can find one.

I also agree with some comments about the N1 system - had its plus points. Lenses were average with the exception of the 70-300 (hardly pocketable anyway!) which is brilliant for wildlife, the 6.7-13 and top of the heap (IMO) is the 32mm 1.2. Metal body and showed what Nikon could have done had they not screwed up the whole launch/marketing/price thing. A J5 (best of the N1 sensors) with that gives excellent quality, although no EVF of course.

Finally, a left-field mention of a V1 which I still use to this day. Has a viewfinder, and with something like the 10-30 PD, or a 10.5 pancake is very compact indeed. Quirky (!) undoubtedly but the AF for its time was astonishing (and is still very good) - not the best sensor ever but depends how picky you are - it’s actually fun to use.

IMO it’s also brilliant for OOC Camera B&W - something about that sensor!

Oh, and the battery will fit the Z cameras! Not as highly rated and no in-Camera charging but I use those batteries in my Z6.

Hope you find what you’re looking for.

————
You may think that - I couldn't possibly comment.

StevieF's gear list:StevieF's gear list
Nikon Df Ricoh GR Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +11 more
chambeshi Senior Member • Posts: 2,363

D850 in tandem with Z7

chambeshi's gear list:chambeshi's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +19 more
indra Regular Member • Posts: 232

Bridgehouse wrote:

My criteria:

I only bring a second body along when I think it's worth it like Japan. When I go there again, with the gears that I have at the moment it will be Z6 and D610.

But following your criteria's D610 won't fit in a jacket pocket so I will take Nikon 1 J5 with pancake 10-30 PD zoom or Panasonic GX1 with P20/1.7 (if lowlight is a must then GX80/GX9 for IBIS).

indra's gear list:indra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D2Hs Nikon D700 Nikon D300S +59 more
Brian Homer
Brian Homer Regular Member • Posts: 424

Not unlike the OP I have tended not to walk round with my main camera(s). I now have two Z6s but usually when walking etc use my Fuji X100F with wide and tele adapters. My criteria are different as with the Fuji I trade pocketability with IQ and handling. I’ve always got my iPhone Se in my pocket. 
However a Z6 with the 24-70 kit lens while not pocketable is now an option as an alternative to the Fuji X100 kit - size and weight not bad and IQ better.

Nice to have choices but for me I can manage without a viewfinder on a phone but prefer a camera to have one.

-- hide signature --

Brian Homer

Brian Homer's gear list:Brian Homer's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +7 more
OP Bridgehouse Regular Member • Posts: 305

beatboxa wrote:

Bridgehouse wrote:

My criteria:

Which RX100 did you try, and specifically what didn't you like about the output?

The reason I ask is that Physics are against you. I find it interesting that you mentioned a sensor size, but not an aperture. However, both of these are used in concert to determine image quality.

F/1.8-2.8 on a 1" sensor is remarkably similar at most ISOs to F/3.5-5.6 on an APS-C (except for APS-C ISO 100 & 200, where the sensors are the their best anyway). The newer RX100's actually sacrifice light gathering ability for increased zoom, so if you tried these newer ones, you may have tried the wrong ones.

FWIW, my goto system for this was always my Panasonic GM1, pictured here with 2 fast lenses and a set of car keys. It has no viewfinder, but the slightly larger GM5 has one, as do some of the newer cameras of similar size.

The lenses are a 20mm F/1.7 (40mm F/3.5 full-frame equivalent), and 42.5mm F/1.7 (85mm F/3.5 equivalent):

If I was picking a system today though, I'd seriously consider a fixed-lens, 1" sensor with an F/1.8-2.8 lens, which is significantly smaller than the m4/3 ILC and two lenses pictured but pretty close in general.

It's too bad Nikon killed the DL's. Maybe they'll release an even smaller camera than the Z50 to be used with the new pancake 16-50, but I doubt it.

The RX100 was a IV or a V iirc. 
My comment about the output was probably more to do with colour than sensor size to be honest. I really wanted to like it, because size wise it’s perfect - but I just couldn’t get on with the Sony “look”

Aperture vs sensor size is an interesting point - and you are right. If anything the sensor size /aperture question is less about dof for me and more about low light performance - I’d like to be able to use it in low light as much as possible. I’m in the UK - it’s basically dark here 3 months of the year!

Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions! Really useful food for thought.

By way of context and to fill in a bit more detail - one expected use will be when I’m out dog walking - lots of great things to take pictures of, but limited hand capacity and needs to be able to go in a pocket quickly!

I probably am asking for too much an I suspect the time will come when I have to compromise - and that may we’ll be the viewfinder..

I had a Panasonic GF1 years ago - it was a fine camera but the lack of viewfinder meant it didn’t get as much use as it probably should have done. I use my phone every day for work pictures - to document stuff - It’s an iPhone 11 so output is as good as it gets, but just feels so soulless.. maybe that’s me being a curmudgeon!

Brian Homer wrote:

Not unlike the OP I have tended not to walk round with my main camera(s). I now have two Z6s but usually when walking etc use my Fuji X100F with wide and tele adapters. My criteria are different as with the Fuji I trade pocketability with IQ and handling. I’ve always got my iPhone Se in my pocket.
However a Z6 with the 24-70 kit lens while not pocketable is now an option as an alternative to the Fuji X100 kit - size and weight not bad and IQ better.

Nice to have choices but for me I can manage without a viewfinder on a phone but prefer a camera to have one.

You know, I borrowed an original x100 when they first came out from a friend. IIRC it was a great camera with some rather mad interface issues and was in need of better firmware. Having just looked this up it seems this was the case and it got some major updates. Maybe I should revisit the x100 line - the experience put me off at the time but it seems it’s changed significantly since then..

john isaacs wrote:

Bridgehouse wrote:

My criteria:

Panasonic LX100. Version 1 is 12.8 mp and reasonably priced. Version 2 is 20mp and much more expensive. But your 45mp may have you spoiled for low mp bodies.

I’m not spoilt yet - the 45mp is great - but I find myself using DX mode a lot and am perfectly happy with the 20mp output. I don’t print wallpaper size prints. The 45mp is actually most useful when digitising film, as it resolves grain well.

The Lx100 series does look like a good option. Need to check out some samples to see how it compares to the RX100

Ruekon Senior Member • Posts: 1,274

Bridgehouse wrote:

By way of context and to fill in a bit more detail - one expected use will be when I’m out dog walking - lots of great things to take pictures of, but limited hand capacity and needs to be able to go in a pocket quickly!

I probably am asking for too much an I suspect the time will come when I have to compromise - and that may we’ll be the viewfinder..

I had a Panasonic GF1 years ago - it was a fine camera but the lack of viewfinder meant it didn’t get as much use as it probably should have done. I use my phone every day for work pictures - to document stuff - It’s an iPhone 11 so output is as good as it gets, but just feels so soulless.. maybe that’s me being a curmudgeon!

Did you consider the pancake like 16-50 on your Z7 or maybe on a Z50 to become even smaller?

Ruekon's gear list:Ruekon's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more

Ruekon wrote:

Bridgehouse wrote:

Did you consider the pancake like 16-50 on your Z7 or maybe on a Z50 to become even smaller?

Yes, but still not small enough really - I’ve tried to skip the z7 body only in a pocket and it’s a bit too big - mostly the grip and EVF hump to be honest.

The z50 would probably be better - but at £1k for the body and kit lens it’s too much for that purpose - I could get two S lenses for that!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads