Full frame vs iPhone 11 Pro

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Marek M Senior Member • Posts: 1,800
How can a smartphone be designated "Pro"?

What profession would that be?

nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,555
There's nothing to dispute
2

If you ask that question you definitely will want the phone.

-- hide signature --

I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter.
Life is short - drive a convertible.

 nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +6 more
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 7,562
Re: Full frame vs iPhone 11 Pro
5

CanonIsAwesome wrote:

Hi,

opinions welcome seems todays phones are getting pretty good.

A phone vs camera thread that didn't hit 150 posts in a day? Major fail!

 Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 +18 more
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 56,917
Re: How can a smartphone be designated "Pro"?

Marek M wrote:

What profession would that be?

Apple marketing professional. Apple has some of the best marketing professionals.

 mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Running on empty
Running on empty Regular Member • Posts: 189
Re: Full frame vs iPhone 11 Pro
1

A salient and topical query! Ming Thein himself has taken to using mostly either his FF gear or his iPhone--his prowess with the latter is on full display in his recent blog post: https://blog.mingthein.com/2019/12/10/brave-new-world-surprising-iphone-11-pro/

As usual, his observations are on-point. He notes how liberating the seamless integration of computational enhancements are and that "Pixel level results aren’t the mush you’d expect, either: there’s decent bite even at very low light levels..."

Most importantly, he says of the iPhone 11: "It’s impressive to the point that I find myself using either the phone or the Z7, and not really anything in between – because the shooting envelope of anything else is worse."

To be sure, those of lesser talent, who are wont to use their gear as a crutch, will surely take issue with Thein's stance. That is their prerogative, for perhaps they've never managed anything more than mere snapshots with their smartphones and maybe also with their "real cameras," but it is not lost on the rest of us just how far smartphones have come.

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 13,034
you started this based on a Youtube video?
9

This discussion has been brought up a million times. Let me give you the standard drill. Cell phones have no real flash, no true macro, no telephoto, no fish eye, no wide angle, no zoom, no grip, no interchangeable battery, no viewfinder.

Cell phones are fine for limited purposes. I have fun with mine. But comparing them to FF is like comparing a kid's tricycle to a pickup truck. People who even think this probably don't know much about photography or are hired by Apple to say dumb things to convince people to buy phones.

-- hide signature --

no, I won't return to read your witty reply!
professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally
http://500px.com/omearak

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 23,113
Re: Full frame vs iPhone 11 Pro
4

Is there an echo in here?

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
Lol...
9

Running on empty wrote:

To be sure, those of lesser talent, who are wont to use their gear as a crutch,

Says the same guy who has praised Computational Photography for making his photography better.

Not that crutches, or absence of skill are the topic in this month-old thread.

WarrenPeas
WarrenPeas Contributing Member • Posts: 792
Re: Full frame vs iPhone 11 Pro
2

Mackiesback wrote:

CanonIsAwesome wrote:

Hi,

opinions welcome seems todays phones are getting pretty good.

A phone vs camera thread that didn't hit 150 posts in a day? Major fail!

The entire year, the same recycled argument in one form or another......  Fatigue setting in...

-- hide signature --

IG: @DooDooYellow

 WarrenPeas's gear list:WarrenPeas's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +6 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 23,113
Re: you started this based on a Youtube video?
7

tko wrote:

This discussion has been brought up a million times. Let me give you the standard drill. Cell phones have no real flash, no true macro, no telephoto, no fish eye, no wide angle, no zoom, no grip, no interchangeable battery, no viewfinder.

Cell phones are fine for limited purposes. I have fun with mine. But comparing them to FF is like comparing a kid's tricycle to a pickup truck. People who even think this probably don't know much about photography or are hired by Apple to say dumb things to convince people to buy phones.

Unfortunately, this nonsense keeps coming up in new threads here.  In reality, it is less prevalent than it appears as a lot comes from one person continuously creating new user IDs to propagate this topic over and over again.

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
ZX11
ZX11 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,227
Re: you started this based on a Youtube video?
1

The Davinator wrote:

tko wrote:

This discussion has been brought up a million times. Let me give you the standard drill. Cell phones have no real flash, no true macro, no telephoto, no fish eye, no wide angle, no zoom, no grip, no interchangeable battery, no viewfinder.

Cell phones are fine for limited purposes. I have fun with mine. But comparing them to FF is like comparing a kid's tricycle to a pickup truck. People who even think this probably don't know much about photography or are hired by Apple to say dumb things to convince people to buy phones.

Unfortunately, this nonsense keeps coming up in new threads here. In reality, it is less prevalent than it appears as a lot comes from one person continuously creating new user IDs to propagate this topic over and over again.

The power of influencers and company social media boiler rooms.  Next we will hear anyone without a mirrorless is playing catch up, and that IBIS is essential.

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

 ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Thomas A Anderson Regular Member • Posts: 278
For the same reason....
1

Marek M wrote:

What profession would that be?

They call it “smart” with no irony.  It’s an internet phone.  It’s dumb.  Dumb people use it while driving and think they’re smart.  They’re nonsense marketing ploys.

coso dp
coso dp Regular Member • Posts: 234
Re: How can a smartphone be designated "Pro"?

Marek M wrote:

What profession would that be?

I could totally see pictures from a 11 Pro to be used professionally. Heck, they shot whole movies with the old 5S. Is it a DSLR or DSLM? Of course not, but it's scaringly close and a lot more convenient. It's full, FULL of amateurs photographers buying professional gear. I think 90% of them would be better off with an iPhone. More convenient, always in hand. I'm sure they could have way more keepers that way, and a comparable quality level. Not valid for pixel peepers of course.

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 15,684
Re: How can a smartphone be designated "Pro"?
1

coso dp wrote:

Marek M wrote:

What profession would that be?

I could totally see pictures from a 11 Pro to be used professionally. Heck, they shot whole movies with the old 5S. Is it a DSLR or DSLM? Of course not, but it's scaringly close and a lot more convenient. It's full, FULL of amateurs photographers buying professional gear. I think 90% of them would be better off with an iPhone. More convenient, always in hand. I'm sure they could have way more keepers that way, and a comparable quality level. Not valid for pixel peepers of course.

There are lot of people buying upscale cars who are lousy drivers. They would be better off with a Prius, I guess.

Thomas A Anderson Regular Member • Posts: 278
The myth of “it’s close.”
3

J A C S wrote:

coso dp wrote:

Marek M wrote:

What profession would that be?

I could totally see pictures from a 11 Pro to be used professionally. Heck, they shot whole movies with the old 5S. Is it a DSLR or DSLM? Of course not, but it's scaringly close and a lot more convenient. It's full, FULL of amateurs photographers buying professional gear. I think 90% of them would be better off with an iPhone. More convenient, always in hand. I'm sure they could have way more keepers that way, and a comparable quality level. Not valid for pixel peepers of course.

There are lot of people buying upscale cars who are lousy drivers. They would be better off with a Prius, I guess.

This person is equivocating and reducing to the point of absurdity.  Photography “is” something that has so many definitions, situations, variables that all you need to do is say something is “close” and it appears true at a very superficial level.  It’s a false equivocation and a reductio ad absurdum that makes an image taken with a phone “close” to a larger camera with a much larger lens and more advanced technology, and SO close as to then be essentially the same.  It’s mistaking the result for the cause.  It’s calling two trees a forest.

By this logic it’s not a Prius, it’s a Hot Wheels car in my pocket that is functionally the same as an actual car.  I mean, it’s soooo convenient....I can take it ANYWHERE!

coso dp
coso dp Regular Member • Posts: 234
Re: How can a smartphone be designated "Pro"?

J A C S wrote:

coso dp wrote:

Marek M wrote:

What profession would that be?

I could totally see pictures from a 11 Pro to be used professionally. Heck, they shot whole movies with the old 5S. Is it a DSLR or DSLM? Of course not, but it's scaringly close and a lot more convenient. It's full, FULL of amateurs photographers buying professional gear. I think 90% of them would be better off with an iPhone. More convenient, always in hand. I'm sure they could have way more keepers that way, and a comparable quality level. Not valid for pixel peepers of course.

There are lot of people buying upscale cars who are lousy drivers. They would be better off with a Prius, I guess.

Well yeah in terms of enjoyment maybe, they can continue using professional gear for fun, or dreaming about becoming a professional photographer. Nothing wrong with that. Would they probably get more and better pictures with an iPhone? Yes. So it's a matter of enjoyment versus photos. Everyone will make his choice.

Thomas A Anderson Regular Member • Posts: 278
Re: How can a smartphone be designated "Pro"?

coso dp wrote:

J A C S wrote:

coso dp wrote:

Marek M wrote:

What profession would that be?

I could totally see pictures from a 11 Pro to be used professionally. Heck, they shot whole movies with the old 5S. Is it a DSLR or DSLM? Of course not, but it's scaringly close and a lot more convenient. It's full, FULL of amateurs photographers buying professional gear. I think 90% of them would be better off with an iPhone. More convenient, always in hand. I'm sure they could have way more keepers that way, and a comparable quality level. Not valid for pixel peepers of course.

There are lot of people buying upscale cars who are lousy drivers. They would be better off with a Prius, I guess.

Well yeah in terms of enjoyment maybe, they can continue using professional gear for fun, or dreaming about becoming a professional photographer. Nothing wrong with that. Would they probably get more and better pictures with an iPhone? Yes.

Support this statement.  I don’t believe this is true.  Perhaps the statement is too vague.  And what is “professional gear”?

So it's a matter of enjoyment versus photos. Everyone will make his choice.

marcio_napoli Senior Member • Posts: 1,606
Re: Full frame vs iPhone 11 Pro
3

Here's my contribution to another  garbage cellphone vs actual, proper camera thread.

Being here for ages, I won't simply stop visiting DPR, it's part of my daily life for so many years, can't help myself.

Just wish 1 day I'd cross the line and say so much dumb things here that a mod would ban my account.

It didn't happen yet.

The more I see those cellphone threads, the more I wish a mod would do me this favor.

Best regards,
Marcio Napoli

Marek M Senior Member • Posts: 1,800
Re: How can a smartphone be designated "Pro"?

Thomas A Anderson wrote:

coso dp wrote:

J A C S wrote:

coso dp wrote:

Marek M wrote:

What profession would that be?

I could totally see pictures from a 11 Pro to be used professionally. Heck, they shot whole movies with the old 5S. Is it a DSLR or DSLM? Of course not, but it's scaringly close and a lot more convenient. It's full, FULL of amateurs photographers buying professional gear. I think 90% of them would be better off with an iPhone. More convenient, always in hand. I'm sure they could have way more keepers that way, and a comparable quality level. Not valid for pixel peepers of course.

There are lot of people buying upscale cars who are lousy drivers. They would be better off with a Prius, I guess.

Well yeah in terms of enjoyment maybe, they can continue using professional gear for fun, or dreaming about becoming a professional photographer. Nothing wrong with that. Would they probably get more and better pictures with an iPhone? Yes.

Support this statement. I don’t believe this is true. Perhaps the statement is too vague. And what is “professional gear”?

Everything could be . Do you remember cassette deck portable Sony Walkman PRO?

So it's a matter of enjoyment versus photos. Everyone will make his choice.

John Fantastic Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: How can a smartphone be designated "Pro"?
1

If your intent is to use the screen or social media and:
1. Your shoot do not need long telephoto lenses ( greater than 125mm equivalent)
2. You do not need off camera flash for shooting,
I guess a smartphone is much better and easier to shoot. They will come out with perfectly acceptable images, its computational photography rendition of a bokeh is very hard to distinguish even among photographers and video shots are much more easier to do.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads