Full frame vs iPhone 11 Pro

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
CanonIsAwesome
CanonIsAwesome Junior Member • Posts: 28
Full frame vs iPhone 11 Pro

Hi,

opinions welcome seems todays phones are getting pretty good.

CanonIsAwesome's gear list:CanonIsAwesome's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
PhotoSiem
PhotoSiem Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: Full frame vs iPhone 11 Pro

It is sometimes true
For video, in good light (little bit less in bad light), the iPhone pro just owns for good quick stabilized video. It is so convenient. For some assignments I can use some iPhone wide shots for some establishing shots of the location, with a slide movement, you get that cinematic shot, lot easer than a DSLR with gimbal ofcourse.
Also, under the right circumstances, with the portrait mode (the right distances etc), you can make nice shots, cranking up the diaphragm to 1.4 and add some black and white, a little bit of vignette to fake that you have an old lens, you can create some crazy nice shots. Perfectly fine for instagram and vacation etc, even some Linkedin. With a good execution you can't find any weird stuff around heads of people. With the Focus app, you can even blur the foreground, if you have any foreground in your picture.
But in the end, the spirit is gone, and for getting the dept you need to make the picture at the right distance with the right light. A DSLR can execute dept all times, and I think phones won't fix that soon. And there is not a big sensor file to play with, and it wasn't shoot through 1000 grams of glass. You have real magic (DSLR + lens) and trick magic (Your local phone ;P)

gium Senior Member • Posts: 1,289

Opinion on what exactly? A full-frame digital camera is one with an image sensor format that is the same size as 35 mm format (36 mm × 24 mm) film, like the R or RP. A Iphone 11 Pro is a phone. Both can take photos, have a screen and memory and also Wifi. But they're still two totally different things.

gium's gear list:gium's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +11 more
lawny13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,834

CanonIsAwesome wrote:

Hi,

Meh... phones are decent if you don't need DOF control, camera control, various lens options and what that can do for you, flash etc etc. 
Also most of these comparisons are always about SOOC jpegs. However, I invite you to try to PP raw files out of a phone. They usually break down pretty quick. So if you apply all the talk about IQ and DR etc etc that people rage about when talking about ILC... well a phone would be completely rubbish then.

coso dp
coso dp Regular Member • Posts: 200

I use my RP for work (designer here, not 100% photographer). If I had to travel for fun or for everyday pictures I would definitely only use an iPhone 11 Pro. The fake bokeh is good enough, as the three focal lengths, all in your pocket, super fast, and ready to be used online. I won't carry a DSLR with lenses for pleasure anymore. I still love my full frame pictures but the convenience of a good phone is just too much better.

coso dp wrote:

I use my RP for work (designer here, not 100% photographer). If I had to travel for fun or for everyday pictures I would definitely only use an iPhone 11 Pro. The fake bokeh is good enough, as the three focal lengths, all in your pocket, super fast, and ready to be used online. I won't carry a DSLR with lenses for pleasure anymore. I still love my full frame pictures but the convenience of a good phone is just too much better.

Eh... I still still prefer having the RP with the RF 35. Or a M6II with a small prime. 
My main subject is my 5 year old. My R, or an M6II will keep up with her in all situations. An iphone does not. If I want to PP and edit my photos, which I do when i want to make large prints... the phone definitely is not good enough. 
If you are just snapping to make memories and such i agree with you.

Thomas A Anderson Regular Member • Posts: 216
Photography, my unvarnished opinion.

CanonIsAwesome wrote:

Hi,

Since your opinion here is pretty vague I’m going to assume you aren’t vested in any particular position.  Don’t mistake this for a “No true photographer” fallacy as I am happy to acknowledge anyone who takes a picture with any camera can be considered a photographer and/or artist and even a good one.

Smartphone cameras are hot garbage.  Even the ones with AI junk enhancing them to look like a smoking dumpster instead of a raging dumpster fire. And I say this unironically as someone who has over 4,000 images on my phone...mostly cat, food, and random junk.

Phone cameras only shine in comparison to my old LG flip phone from 2004 or no camera at all.  They are improving and it’s pretty impressive what they can squeeze from a tiny sensor.  Still, they suck.  I have a bicycle that can move me around and I love it, but I don’t delude myself into thinking it’s as useful as my car.

A camera with a lens is a far better tool.  I’m saying better about its value as a tool, not saying a phone camera is a horrible tool.  The phone is just extremely limited despite its convenience and omnipresence in society.

This is a photography website in a full frame Canon forum.  Anyone who loves phone cameras and thinks the R isn’t worth having should be careful to not let the door hit them on the way out as they go find some place with people who think the rest of us are wasting our money.

coso dp

Eh... I still still prefer having the RP with the RF 35. Or a M6II with a small prime.
My main subject is my 5 year old. My R, or an M6II will keep up with her in all situations. An iphone does not. If I want to PP and edit my photos, which I do when i want to make large prints... the phone definitely is not good enough.

Yes I can understand. I still think an iPhone is faster though. Do you always have the camera in hand and turned on?

It's also better for memories. The iPhone automatically selects a series of pictures (it understands if it was a trip, a dinner, a special occasion etc.) and automatically creates "memories", small movies made possible by the Live Photos (small videos taken after and before every picture) with music and editing, all done by itself, which are really a gem. It's all so effortless.

Can you get higher quality videos and pictures with any dslr or mirrorless? Of course, especially if you will print the pictures big (I don't), but it's just so much work.

I used to love spending hours editing my photos when I was young, now I just want to focus on taking nice pictures and having great memories. I guess I'm just getting old.. (I'm 40).

With that said, you just can't beat the bokeh of a 50/85mm prime on a full frame, and I still use my RP for fun sometimes. It's just less frequent than before.

CanonIsAwesome
OP CanonIsAwesome Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Photography, my unvarnished opinion.

You are wrong - check my profile.

Invested in Canon FF (R) + APSC (m50). Just was recently stumbling over a bunch of youtube videod and wanted to start an open discussion.

Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
coso dp

Thomas A Anderson wrote:

the rest of us are wasting our money.

This is what I think of myself. I always chased the full frame look, good lenses and such, because dslrs was the only way I could achieve that look. But now, for the first time, a phone is getting real close to the real deal.

Of course phone cameras are still vastly inferior to a real camera, but the point is, does it matter? Who really prints "big"? An iPhone picture watched on the phone or on a 4K monitor is perfectly fine, unless you go pixel peeping (which no one need to do). You can also edit the picture on the fly on your phone.

I'm not saying anyone is wasting money, for professional work of course a real camera will always be needed for years to come. But there are some amateur photographers that should really question if keep buying bodies and lenses is worth it. Do they get enough fun out of it? Do they have thousand of dollars to spend?

The answer might be yes, the answer might be not, but I think it's a reflection each one needs to make now, after the tech in the iPhone 11 Pro and probably the phones in the next few years is finally available.

expro Senior Member • Posts: 1,878

There is such a large purpose, functional and quality gap that it is ridiculous to compare.

of course there are exceptions, just look at several globally known artists who make incredible images but there will always be a huge IQ gap even as each improve....

expro's gear list:expro's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +7 more

coso dp wrote:

Thomas A Anderson wrote:

This is what I think of myself. I always chased the full frame look, good lenses and such, because dslrs was the only way I could achieve that look. But now, for the first time, a phone is getting real close to the real deal.

Of course phone cameras are still vastly inferior to a real camera, but the point is, does it matter?

Nothing matters...until and unless it does.  I have yet to see a phone that is a fast and flexible photographic tool.

Who really prints "big"? An iPhone picture watched on the phone or on a 4K monitor is perfectly fine, unless you go pixel peeping (which no one need to do). You can also edit the picture on the fly on your phone.

As I’ve told others, you are welcome to your low standards.

I'm not saying anyone is wasting money, for professional work of course a real camera will always be needed for years to come. But there are some amateur photographers that should really question if keep buying bodies and lenses is worth it.

Of course.  However, “worth” is absolutely subjective and nebulous in its complexity.

Do they get enough fun out of it? Do they have thousand of dollars to spend?

The answer might be yes, the answer might be not, but I think it's a reflection each one needs to make now, after the tech in the iPhone 11 Pro and probably the phones in the next few years is finally available.

My problem is the trend towards convincing novices that phones are “good” when compared to real cameras.  They aren’t.

Right.

CanonIsAwesome wrote:

You are wrong - check my profile.

About what?  Everything I said was correct.  Do you want to express some sort of normative or prescriptive opinion that I could be wrong about?

Invested in Canon FF (R) + APSC (m50). Just was recently stumbling over a bunch of youtube videod and wanted to start an open discussion.

CanonIsAwesome
OP CanonIsAwesome Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Right.

Maybe i misread your answer. It sounded to me like you told me i should be careful what i write here

Btw.. my position is 100 pro ff canon mirrorless (i work with flashes, lightmodifiers etc).

Hoxton Bridge
Hoxton Bridge Contributing Member • Posts: 873

CanonIsAwesome wrote:

Hi,

If I see another 'smartphone vs FF camera' inspired thread, I may spontaneously combust...

-- hide signature --

“A picture is a secret about a secret, the more it tells you the less you know.”
- Diane Arbus

coso dp wrote:

Yes I can understand. I still think an iPhone is faster though. Do you always have the camera in hand and turned on?

Nope. But I generally do always have a camera with me. I pick and choose when to take something with the dedicated one or with the phone.

It's also better for memories. The iPhone automatically selects a series of pictures (it understands if it was a trip, a dinner, a special occasion etc.) and automatically creates "memories", small movies made possible by the Live Photos (small videos taken after and before every picture) with music and editing, all done by itself, which are really a gem. It's all so effortless.

eh... I have a lot of these recognition things turned off. I generally don’t trust corporations with their data mining. I also know that when it comes to phone images they are taken shared and generally forgotten. As such a vast majority of images that people take are noting but memories and “vanilla”.

If I take out the camera the purpose is clear... to make more of an effort than I would have with my phone. Also keeping track of the kids with a ILC is possible, while with an IPhone... generally not a chance.

Also when it comes to the whole telephoto thing. Took a bunch of photos of my kick at kick boxing. And the older one at horse back riding. The ILC was markedly better.

Just like with computers... laptops get good enough for most, but it doesn’t mean that a more dedicated and better system is not needed for power users. Like BIF, fast moving toddlers, sports, etc.. still ILC territory. And since phone makers tend to make phones more minimalistic, and not camera ergonomic-centric... I think you what what I mean.

Can you get higher quality videos and pictures with any dslr or mirrorless? Of course, especially if you will print the pictures big (I don't), but it's just so much work.

I used to love spending hours editing my photos when I was young, now I just want to focus on taking nice pictures and having great memories. I guess I'm just getting old.. (I'm 40).

what is that supposed to mean? I am 37. I used to take a long time editing images too, but I am good enough now that I only need few seconds to a minute for most.

With that said, you just can't beat the bokeh of a 50/85mm prime on a full frame, and I still use my RP for fun sometimes. It's just less frequent than before.

True

dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 8,014

Duh. Yes, they are good, and getting better with each generation. But they are, by their very nature, very limiting. Zooms? No. Long teles? No, with clumsy and horrifically bad attachments. But they have their place, and for many, many people who don't care about quality they're fine.

To me they are the replacement for the "Instamatics" of old. Kodak did really well with Instamatics because most people just want to push a button and let the camera and Kodak do the rest (like Kodak's old sales tag line said). So for them, hell, have at it! Today's phones blow away anything the old film cams could do!

-- hide signature --

---enjoys shooting with inferior gear---

Bingo.

expro wrote:

There is such a large purpose, functional and quality gap that it is ridiculous to compare.

of course there are exceptions, just look at several globally known artists who make incredible images but there will always be a huge IQ gap even as each improve....

Re: Right.

CanonIsAwesome wrote:

Maybe i misread your answer. It sounded to me like you told me i should be careful what i write here

Btw.. my position is 100 pro ff canon mirrorless (i work with flashes, lightmodifiers etc).

No, that wasn’t aimed at you.  But there are a lot of people around who worship phones.

Thomas A Anderson wrote:

coso dp wrote:

Thomas A Anderson wrote:

Of course phone cameras are still vastly inferior to a real camera, but the point is, does it matter?

Nothing matters...until and unless it does. I have yet to see a phone that is a fast and flexible photographic tool.

Who really prints "big"? An iPhone picture watched on the phone or on a 4K monitor is perfectly fine, unless you go pixel peeping (which no one need to do). You can also edit the picture on the fly on your phone.

As I’ve told others, you are welcome to your low standards.

I'm not saying anyone is wasting money, for professional work of course a real camera will always be needed for years to come. But there are some amateur photographers that should really question if keep buying bodies and lenses is worth it.

Of course. However, “worth” is absolutely subjective and nebulous in its complexity.

Do they get enough fun out of it? Do they have thousand of dollars to spend?

My problem is the trend towards convincing novices that phones are “good” when compared to real cameras. They aren’t.

Exactly. For my wife I tell her to stick to her phone and she is happy to do so, she can’t be bothered with exposure triangles and the technical aspect of ILC. For my mom I also told her the same, since I knew she wouldn’t get into photography enough to make it worth it.

But for those people who will get into it, and will PP their images rather than have a software make all the decisions for you, k do recommend a dslr. A dedicated camera gives you a different experience which can be very conducive to differentiating yourself and being creative. And then there is the low light situation. A fast prime on a crop of FF camera will do better in low light period. Those who argue that phone will catch up there.... sure. But then you have the whole subject of flash that people seem to forget. Sure I can put ISO 12800 in low light while wide open at F1.8. But put on a flash and do some bounce photography and ya are down to ISO 800 or below. You can’t beat that. Shutter lag, AF performance, and mode definitely AF in low light... phones don’t come close.

I think I will die laughing if ever see someone with something like the godox V860II mounted to their iPhone. Cause that is what we are taking about if people want to do a full comparison. Not just pick the situations which iPhone are good enough

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads