Problems with DXO Photo Lab 1

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Searching Veteran Member • Posts: 3,799
Problems with DXO Photo Lab 1

Didn't use it for a while.  Using Windows 10 64bit.  Clicked on the shortcut icon about two weeks ago and the Photo Lab log on screen appeared and then disappeared and nothing happened, wouldn't open, no error messages, nothing.

Support said to erase all DXO files and downloand the app Photo Lab 1 program again.

Went through the process and exact same thing happened again.

Support said to down load and send them all kinds of crash logs, download another program to detail the crash and to copy and send all kinds of files which they would have their development team look at.

I think they are just trying to get rid of me as a customer because its PhotoLab1.  Support doesn't reply to the tickets you submit in a timely fashion.  I had to submit 3 tickets waiting before I got their final reply.  I give up.  I wont buy any DXO products again.  I can't be the only person who has had this problem.

Does anyone know of any solutions?  Thank you.

 Searching's gear list:Searching's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,165
Re: Problems with DXO Photo Lab 1

Searching wrote:

Didn't use it for a while. Using Windows 10 64bit. Clicked on the shortcut icon about two weeks ago and the Photo Lab log on screen appeared and then disappeared and nothing happened, wouldn't open, no error messages, nothing.

Support said to erase all DXO files and downloand the app Photo Lab 1 program again.

Went through the process and exact same thing happened again.

Support said to down load and send them all kinds of crash logs, download another program to detail the crash and to copy and send all kinds of files which they would have their development team look at.

I think they are just trying to get rid of me as a customer because its PhotoLab1. Support doesn't reply to the tickets you submit in a timely fashion. I had to submit 3 tickets waiting before I got their final reply. I give up. I wont buy any DXO products again. I can't be the only person who has had this problem.

Does anyone know of any solutions? Thank you.

I've never had a problem in the years I've used DxO's stuff. But if I had your problem, and I had no backup to restore (which is not going to happen), I would:

Make a backup so I could always get back to where I started in case I messed something else up while trying the below procedures.

Use Windows' uninstall function on the PhotoLab install.

Delete every DxO-or-PhotoLab named file and folder I could find in the usual programs' folders.

Delete every DxO-or-PhotoLab named registry key I could find.

Reinstall PhotoLab and hope for the best.

Last resort: I'd make sure I had all my data saved on an external drive, then clean-install Windows 10 on the main drive, then reinstall everything.

Good luck with whatever you do.

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
sankos Senior Member • Posts: 2,374
Re: Problems with DXO Photo Lab 1

I had a somewhat similar issue with Photolab 2 when running it on Win 8.1. The splashcreen would show up and the application hang. I had to kill the DxO process in Task Manager. Then I'd start the program again and it would start and work normally until I rebooted the system. Then I had to do the 2-step start-up again.

The problem stopped as soon as I moved to Win 10.

OP Searching Veteran Member • Posts: 3,799
Re: Problems with DXO Photo Lab 1

Thanks tried all of the above except the clean install of windows 10, not sure I want to go that route right now, but thanks for your help.

 Searching's gear list:Searching's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
OP Searching Veteran Member • Posts: 3,799
Re: Problems with DXO Photo Lab 1

sankos wrote:

I had a somewhat similar issue with Photolab 2 when running it on Win 8.1. The splashcreen would show up and the application hang. I had to kill the DxO process in Task Manager. Then I'd start the program again and it would start and work normally until I rebooted the system. Then I had to do the 2-step start-up again.

The problem stopped as soon as I moved to Win 10.

I'm in windows 10 now.

I notice that when I download the software after erasing everything, it reinstalls in Program files and not Program files x64.  I have a 64 bit PC.  Not even sure if that makes a difference.

Anyone know if that is the way its supposed to download?

 Searching's gear list:Searching's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,165
Re: Problems with DXO Photo Lab 1
1

Searching wrote:

sankos wrote:

I had a somewhat similar issue with Photolab 2 when running it on Win 8.1. The splashcreen would show up and the application hang. I had to kill the DxO process in Task Manager. Then I'd start the program again and it would start and work normally until I rebooted the system. Then I had to do the 2-step start-up again.

The problem stopped as soon as I moved to Win 10.

I'm in windows 10 now.

I notice that when I download the software after erasing everything, it reinstalls in Program files and not Program files x64. I have a 64 bit PC. Not even sure if that makes a difference.

Anyone know if that is the way its supposed to download?

Yes, because "Program Files" is for 64-bit, "Program Files(x86)" is for 32-bit.

"On 64-bit versions of Windows, 64-bit applications install to the Program Files folder. However, 64-bit versions of Windows also support 32-bit programs, and Microsoft doesn’t want 32-bit and 64-bit software getting mixed up in the same place. So, 32-bit programs get installed to the “C:\Program Files (x86)” folder, instead."

https://www.howtogeek.com/129178/why-does-64-bit-windows-need-a-separate-program-files-x86-folder/

 Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
sankos Senior Member • Posts: 2,374
Re: Problems with DXO Photo Lab 1

Searching wrote:

sankos wrote:

I had a somewhat similar issue with Photolab 2 when running it on Win 8.1. The splashcreen would show up and the application hang. I had to kill the DxO process in Task Manager. Then I'd start the program again and it would start and work normally until I rebooted the system. Then I had to do the 2-step start-up again.

The problem stopped as soon as I moved to Win 10.

I'm in windows 10 now.

Yes, but I did a clean Win 10 install when transitioning (I had done a Macrium system backup before proceeding).

I notice that when I download the software after erasing everything, it reinstalls in Program files and not Program files x64. I have a 64 bit PC. Not even sure if that makes a difference.

Anyone know if that is the way its supposed to download?

The 64-bit DxO installer should install it in the Program Files folder.

After you install, start up the program, give it some time to start up and invoke the Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) and click "More details". If there are DxO processes, right-click them and close. Then start the program again, maybe it'll work like it did for me...

calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,428
Re: Problems with DXO Photo Lab 1

If you cannot get support for a product it becomes worse than worthless. Fortunately there are many alternatives to DXO Photo Lab such as Affinity and Luminar.

The DXO uninstall is leaving garbage behind and so the new install sees the old application entries and terminates the installation. Unfortunately with an antiquated operating system like Windows 10 the user is expected to go through the registry and manually delete the problem entries (and to know how to find them).

-- hide signature --

“What was once on the extreme right is now merely conservative.. “What was once conservative is now centrist. What was centrist is now left wing. What was once on the left no longer exists.” - Cass Sunstein law professor

 calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D850
OP Searching Veteran Member • Posts: 3,799
Re: Problems with DXO Photo Lab 1

calson wrote:

If you cannot get support for a product it becomes worse than worthless. Fortunately there are many alternatives to DXO Photo Lab such as Affinity and Luminar.

The DXO uninstall is leaving garbage behind and so the new install sees the old application entries and terminates the installation. Unfortunately with an antiquated operating system like Windows 10 the user is expected to go through the registry and manually delete the problem entries (and to know how to find them).

I did get a call from support in France, they downloaded a hijack this file and now will have a look at it to see what the problem is.  Apparently, I am the only person in the world with this problem.  I had asked that question, and they replied, yes you are the only person in the world.  I didn't do anything to Photo Lab 1 or Windows (other than get the regular windows updates).  It just stopped working on its own when I went to use it.

They think it oculd be another program causing it not to load, but strangely my other photo programs such as Photomatix, Neat Image, DPP, Fastone, Olympus Workspace, Portrait Pro and Adobe CS6 are not affected.

We'll see how much longer this takes, and I'll let everyone know the outcome.

What I liked about Photo Lab 1 is that it could open the Olympus Raw Files, My CS6 can't, and now my Photo Lab 1 can't either.

Thanks to everyone for their help, I'm so alone in the world with this problem.

 Searching's gear list:Searching's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
OP Searching Veteran Member • Posts: 3,799
Update

Not able to open Photo LAB 3 trial version either.  Start up screen appears then disappears and nothing happens.

 Searching's gear list:Searching's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
OP Searching Veteran Member • Posts: 3,799
Soultion found
2

Last night I downloaded and installed three Windows 10 MS updates.  After that, I downloaded DXO Photolab 1 and Photolab 3 Trial Version.  For some reason, both worked flawlessly.  I don't know what the prior problem was, but it wasn't a DXO problem, it was a Windows problem.

I would like to thank DXO support, they did try to help in every regard, to find out what the problem was.  They never really found the problem either, but they did try.  DXO Photolab 1 is no longer supported.

 Searching's gear list:Searching's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
ruhell Regular Member • Posts: 138
Re: Soultion found

Good. They've always been quite helpful and responsive when I have asked them questions.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads