3D-Printed Grip for Sigma fp

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jma60 Junior Member • Posts: 34
3D-Printed Grip for Sigma fp

Just wanted to share a grip I designed and 3D-printed for the fp using the 3D model of the fp from Sigma's website.  Was looking for something more suitable for one-handed grasping than the HG-11 but didn't want something as bulky as the HG-21.

If anyone is interested in the STL let me know and I can get it uploaded.

PoVsim New Member • Posts: 5
Re: 3D-Printed Grip for Sigma fp

Hey man,this is awesome you did this,I just recently purchased this cam with a sigma 50mm and it sure will be nice to have a grip when that's mounted if your able to send me the file it will be much appreciated,and thank you.

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,223

Ineresting. How do you like your result? Do you plan to modify it and print another?

I bet we'll be seeing all sorts of grips come on the market, from people like you, who have 3D printers, and I expect many will have features like finger indents, and be made in different colors, with varying degrees of detail, with metal or even jeweled finishes (i.e. rhinestones), etc. It will be interesting to see what people offer. I did a search for "sigma fp custom grip" and "Sigma fp 3d printed grip" (there seems to be nothing out there yet), and a few other searches too, and found there are definitely lots of people making 3D printed custom grips for various cameras and other things, like guns, game controlers, and scooters.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +21 more
FDecker Senior Member • Posts: 1,903

I think this was a good idea and it might have been one of the reasons why Sigma made the 3d model available.

My point here is that the Sigma grip is so much nicer and fits the fp design so well for just about $70. Your grip is breaking the design in my point of view. From a pure functional point of view, it might be great.

OP jma60 Junior Member • Posts: 34

PoVsim wrote:

Hey man,this is awesome you did this,I just recently purchased this cam with a sigma 50mm and it sure will be nice to have a grip when that's mounted if your able to send me the file it will be much appreciated,and thank you.

Thanks! Here is the link below:

https://grabcad.com/library/3d-printed-grip-for-sigma-fp-1

For print settings, I recommend using at least 1.5mm wall thickness and at least 50% infill.

Scottelly wrote:

Ineresting. How do you like your result? Do you plan to modify it and print another?

I bet we'll be seeing all sorts of grips come on the market, from people like you, who have 3D printers, and I expect many will have features like finger indents, and be made in different colors, with varying degrees of detail, with metal or even jeweled finishes (i.e. rhinestones), etc. It will be interesting to see what people offer. I did a search for "sigma fp custom grip" and "Sigma fp 3d printed grip" (there seems to be nothing out there yet), and a few other searches too, and found there are definitely lots of people making 3D printed custom grips for various cameras and other things, like guns, game controlers, and scooters.

It's been working great so far and as intended, at least for Baltimore's cold weather. Having part of the grip wrap over by the top dial allows for a much secure hold during bare-handed use, especially when your joints start stiffening up. It also spaces my index finger such that it contacts the dial with the pad of the finger, instead of at the base of the joint, which helps with finer control. I may make changes to allow for better clearance with a video rig, but otherwise it's pretty analogous with my sdQH's grip, so I'm content with how it is now.

The customizability 3D printing brings is definitely nice, though I wonder if most people will just try to 3D print Sigma's design, since they released files for those too. Though maybe we'll see someone print out a battery grip next.

FDecker wrote:

I think this was a good idea and it might have been one of the reasons why Sigma made the 3d model available.

My point here is that the Sigma grip is so much nicer and fits the fp design so well for just about $70. Your grip is breaking the design in my point of view. From a pure functional point of view, it might be great.

The beauty of it is that if I decide that I don't like it anymore, visually or ergonomically, I've lost only half an hour of time and $2 of material costs. Personally, I don't find much aesthetic appeal in the fp's utilitarian design, especially when I'll be staring at the back LCD most of the time anyways.

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,223

jma60 wrote:

PoVsim wrote:

For print settings, I recommend using at least 1.5mm wall thickness and at least 50% infill.

Scottelly wrote:

It's been working great so far and as intended, at least for Baltimore's cold weather. Having part of the grip wrap over by the top dial allows for a much secure hold during bare-handed use, especially when your joints start stiffening up. It also spaces my index finger such that it contacts the dial with the pad of the finger, instead of at the base of the joint, which helps with finer control. I may make changes to allow for better clearance with a video rig, but otherwise it's pretty analogous with my sdQH's grip, so I'm content with how it is now.

The customizability 3D printing brings is definitely nice, though I wonder if most people will just try to 3D print Sigma's design, since they released files for those too. Though maybe we'll see someone print out a battery grip next.

Cool. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the info. I wonder if you started with a design from something else, or did you have to create your grip design from scratch? What 3D software do you use to make your 3D models to print? Blender? Sketchup? What printer do you use?

FDecker wrote:

The beauty of it is that if I decide that I don't like it anymore, visually or ergonomically, I've lost only half an hour of time and $2 of material costs. Personally, I don't find much aesthetic appeal in the fp's utilitarian design, especially when I'll be staring at the back LCD most of the time anyways.

Thanks for letting us know the amount of time you spent to make your grip and the cost of your materials. I appreciate the info. I've been thinking about getting a 3D printer for years, but I just keep waiting for a better, cheaper one to come on the market.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +21 more
docmaas
docmaas Veteran Member • Posts: 6,606
my grip solution

Actually I sort of like the mini grip but I didn't see it clearly enough initially and went looking for a close match and applied my dremel tool. Pretty rough and not a perfect fit but it now has a rail on the bottom and the end along with the handle on the right side of the lens.

The source from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WCGZKF8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The modified:

As you can see the dremel slipped a little occasionally.  Probably took about 4 hours because of slow removal of material bit by bit.  In the end I now know enough to do it in 30 minutes or so and without the slips.  The area where the battery compartment opens needs to be enlarged and the grip needs to be ground down to fit flush to the camera.

I may get the smaller sigma grip though.  Need to decide if I'm going to keep the camera or not first.

When I looked at the larger grip it appeared to be a flat plate without the arca style rails.  I could be mistaken though.

Mike

Mike

-- hide signature --

"Laoma shitu" "An old horse knows the road" Chinese Proverb

"Dao ke dao, fei chang dao. Ming ke ming, fei chang ming" Laozi

"At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past."
Maurice Maeterlinck

OP jma60 Junior Member • Posts: 34

Scottelly wrote:

jma60 wrote:

PoVsim wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

Cool. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the info. I wonder if you started with a design from something else, or did you have to create your grip design from scratch? What 3D software do you use to make your 3D models to print? Blender? Sketchup? What printer do you use?

No problem! I started the design from scratch, just using the 3D model of the fp as a guide. I used Solidworks, which isn't free (unless you're a student or work somewhere that has it), but Autodesk Fusion 360 is just as capable and should be free. My printer is an old kit from 4 years ago that I've upgraded over the years. Prices have gone down so much that it's no longer worth saving the money by buying a kit.

FDecker wrote:

Thanks for letting us know the amount of time you spent to make your grip and the cost of your materials. I appreciate the info. I've been thinking about getting a 3D printer for years, but I just keep waiting for a better, cheaper one to come on the market.

I should disclose that I was a mechanical engineer, so it may take little longer if you aren't familiar with the whole design-model-print-post-process workflow of 3D printing. But once you get the hang of it, it's really, really simple. Kind of like using SPP.

I'd recommend something by Prusa Research if you're looking for something no-frills, but well-built and up-to-date.  Many of the cheap printers on Amazon work fine, but require a lot maintenance and don't have the latest sensor/software based enhancements.

FDecker Senior Member • Posts: 1,903
Re: my grip solution

Not bad for about $20 + 1 hour of work if you optimize the workflow.

And I assume, as with jma60‘s solution, there is also some fun in the doing.

docmaas
docmaas Veteran Member • Posts: 6,606
Re: my grip solution

I spent a lot of time trying to save metal by repetitively fitting and removing more metal as different areas were relieved only to have another area become the next obstacle.  A good engineer or designer with better vision probably would have seen immediately much of what I could not until I removed a little bit here and a little bit there.

At the end it was clear that what was needed was pretty obvious with newly gained hindsight.

There are a couple of elevated edges that need to be cut back on the top of the plate, the area to allow the battery compartment to open needs to be completeley cut out and the grip needs to be ground down to fit flush to the body which results in a loss of part of the grip where it wraps around the body on the pen but won't do so on the fp.

It feels fine and the vertical plate on the left side of the camera adds yet another area to grip the camera.  I'm now away from home and my tools but may redo it when I return in January if I still have the camera.

Mike

FDecker wrote:

Not bad for about $20 + 1 hour of work if you optimize the workflow.

And I assume, as with jma60‘s solution, there is also some fun in the doing.

-- hide signature --

"Laoma shitu" "An old horse knows the road" Chinese Proverb                                        "Dao ke dao, fei chang dao. Ming ke ming, fei chang ming" Laozi
"At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past."
Maurice Maeterlinck

PoVsim New Member • Posts: 5

I appreciate you taking the time and making it accessible for others, I'm sure you'll at some point make some iterations and have different design choices when that becomes more of a priority than functionality. Thanks again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads