Thoughts on Sony 70-350mm lens for A6500 and A7RIV

Started Nov 2, 2019 | Discussions
lovehifi Contributing Member • Posts: 749
Thoughts on Sony 70-350mm lens for A6500 and A7RIV

I just bought a 70-350mm to use on my A6500 but also am thinking I can use it on my A7RIV in crop mode. That will still give me 26mp. Would that be crazy? Figure if I am out just taking shots of some birds or my dogs it would save me from attaching my 100-400GM and be a lighter setup. Read some reviews and people are saying its very sharp. Even sharper than the FE 70-300mm. Anyway going to pick it out in a little while.

lovehifi's gear list:lovehifi's gear list
Sony a7C
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dbronson
dbronson Contributing Member • Posts: 698
Re: Thoughts on Sony 70-350mm lens for A6500 and A7RIV

just got mine, i agree with reviews, its sharp.  i never plan to go FF so this purchase was easy decision.  i have heard it can cover a fullframe sensor, so you may be able to use on FF in either modes ( some vignetting may occur in FF mode on FF cameras however.)

terrible weather, so cant really test it, here is a quick pic.

about 50 feet away

all the best with your copy, cheers

dbronson's gear list:dbronson's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony a6300 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 600D +17 more
dr jim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,736

Makes perfect sense to me. That's my plan.

-- hide signature --

Just my opinion and just for fun!
Jim

dr jim's gear list:dr jim's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Sony a6400 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +7 more
OP lovehifi Contributing Member • Posts: 749

Well picked it up and took about 40 shots and all but three were out of focus at 350mm. Seems to be a lot of shaking going on zoomed out. I am talking easy still subjects too. Probably a defective or bad copy. Just tried my A7RIV and the A6500 again. Seems something is off with the steady shot. Up to 135mm everything seems fine and steady but zoomed out everything starts shaking. I turned off the steadyshot and its shakes worse but with it turned on it isn't much better. It seems to work okay for a second and them back to not working .Even taking shots of my Wife slowly walking at 1/1250 sec was out of focus at 350mm. Lens going back.

Sony a7C
bloodlmt Regular Member • Posts: 205

Probably u got bad sample there.

I've seen people in fb group hyping his 70-350mm on his a7r IV. He says it is very sharp and cover FF sensor at some focal length (not sure which focal length though). He also loves using in aps-c mode for that ~500mm reach.

MarkG Regular Member • Posts: 332

What's the name of the FB group?

MarkG's gear list:MarkG's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 VI Sony a7S Canon EOS M50 Sony a6400 +9 more
MarkG Regular Member • Posts: 332

Judging by this shot, it's OK at 350mm F6.3 but I would not call it very sharp. Contrast is reduced as well. Perhaps the AF was slightly off, maybe it'll perform better in brighter conditions.

dbronson wrote:

just got mine, i agree with reviews, its sharp. i never plan to go FF so this purchase was easy decision. i have heard it can cover a fullframe sensor, so you may be able to use on FF in either modes ( some vignetting may occur in FF mode on FF cameras however.)

terrible weather, so cant really test it, here is a quick pic.

about 50 feet away

all the best with your copy, cheers

MarkG's gear list:MarkG's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 VI Sony a7S Canon EOS M50 Sony a6400 +9 more
photo_rb Contributing Member • Posts: 963

lovehifi wrote:

Well picked it up and took about 40 shots and all but three were out of focus at 350mm. Seems to be a lot of shaking going on zoomed out. I am talking easy still subjects too. Probably a defective or bad copy. Just tried my A7RIV and the A6500 again. Seems something is off with the steady shot. Up to 135mm everything seems fine and steady but zoomed out everything starts shaking. I turned off the steadyshot and its shakes worse but with it turned on it isn't much better. It seems to work okay for a second and them back to not working .Even taking shots of my Wife slowly walking at 1/1250 sec was out of focus at 350mm. Lens going back.

I was going to suggest turning off the camera IBIS but it looks like you did this.  Shouldn't be an issue with Sony lenses but when I use my Canon lens with IS I have to turn off the camera stabilization or I get exactly what you describe.

photo_rb's gear list:photo_rb's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +12 more
caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,636
Or ...

bloodlmt wrote:

Probably u got bad sample there.

Or the a6500 needs a firmware update. The 70-350 is a new lens. At times, the new lens may not work right til the firmware is updated. My guess is the IBiS and OSS of the lens aren't "coordintating" properly at certain FLs. We just have to wait for it though.

I am sure Sony will sort this out. Or, as you said, it could also be a simple case of a bad lens copy. In most cases though, when we say "bad copy," it has something to do with optical performance. Mostly it's decentering, or sub par sharpness in some FL and the like.

I've seen people in fb group hyping his 70-350mm on his a7r IV. He says it is very sharp and cover FF sensor at some focal length (not sure which focal length though). He also loves using in aps-c mode for that ~500mm reach.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +24 more
Dirk W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,454

lovehifi wrote:

I just bought a 70-350mm to use on my A6500 but also am thinking I can use it on my A7RIV in crop mode. That will still give me 26mp. Would that be crazy? Figure if I am out just taking shots of some birds or my dogs it would save me from attaching my 100-400GM and be a lighter setup. Read some reviews and people are saying its very sharp. Even sharper than the FE 70-300mm. Anyway going to pick it out in a little while.

No that makes little sense IMO. Since you also use full frame there will be situations where you want the full rez, so I would definitely go for the 70-300.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony a5100 Sony a6400 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +7 more
OP lovehifi Contributing Member • Posts: 749

Well I did get hold of another copy and much better! However I have decided to pass on it now that I have tried a working copy. It is a nice zoom. Lightweight and feels good on both my R4 and A6500. I really liked the rendering and the bokeh. Colors really popped in backgrounds. The bokeh was smooth where it needed to be. That's the good stuff. Sharpness is just okay especially at the long end. At the short end much better. My 100-400mm GM is much better it in detail and sharpness though. I did not think it was even as sharp as my previous 70-300mm. At least at the long end. My previous 70-300mm was a darn good copy though. Don't get me wrong. The 70-350mm is sharp enough, but nothing crazy spectacular. One thing I did not like about it. If was slow to lock focus especially zoomed out. Maybe I am just use to my 100-400mm. It even focus hunted a few times on things that should have been easy. Of course all of this is just my experience and opinions. Other opinions and experiences may differ.

Sony a7C
Re: A few shots. (OK, a lot of shots)

I took my first birding walk today with this lens. I bought the 70-350 to use with my A6400 with hopes of being able to replace the RX10IV as my walking around birding kit so I took them both and shot a few parallel shots. Over all I was pretty pleased with the 70-350 and think it may be time to say good bye to the RX10. My only hesitation is that the RX10 is much better for (better MFD) flowers, bugs etc. and that is significant for me particularly spring and summer when the birds are scarce, but the wildflowers. butterflies and bees are plentiful. Hmmmmm. Anyway, here are a few shots from today, straight out of camera except for the last one, the hawk which has been run through Topaz DeNoise AI. The national Geographic won't be calling anytime soon, but I was generally pleased. I'd like 100 extra mm, but you can't have everything.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Sony a6400 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +7 more
Dirk W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,454

Nice pictures!

Yes a downside of the 70-350 is the MFD of 1.5m at the long end, compared to 0.9m of the 70-300 and 0.98 of the 100-400. With this, the magnification ratio of the 70-350 comes in the range of the 200-600 and unfortunately not so good for close up pictures of insects, flowers etc.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony a5100 Sony a6400 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +7 more
tom van wolde New Member • Posts: 19

Thanks for sharing. Fantastic first results. I was looking for a light weigt birding camera like the bridge camera Sony RX10iv. The E 70-350 seems to be a good alternative with the same weight approxemately  1 kg and 525mmFF (RX10iv 600mmFF) en better ISO performance.

Yep. May be a deal breaker for me. Im shooting with an E-m1 ii Today with the leica 100-400, and that lens is nearly a macro. Id miss that a lot. Just checked and the leica has a magnification ratio of 0.5X.                        --

Jim

Initial impression re iso is that the 70-350mm is a bit better than the RX10, but remember, with the RX you are shooting at 600mm f4.0 wide open,  where the 70-350 wide open  at 525mm is at f6.3, so you lose some of that sensor advantage.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads