This month with your Nikon 1 - November 2019

Started Nov 2, 2019 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 455
This month with your Nikon 1 - November 2019

Welcome to another monthly thread! Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2019: Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2018: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
greggyh Regular Member • Posts: 161
Downy Woodpecker

Testing the new clearance sale V3 with the FT 1 and 200-500.  Slight motion blur, and focus could be a touch off.  I really like the V3.  It may be time to let go of the V2.

greggyh's gear list:greggyh's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D7200 Nikon 1 J5 +11 more
Steve Regular Member • Posts: 423
Re: Downy Woodpecker

Based on other user experiences, the V2 is better than the V3 at tracking birds in flight.  I enjoy mine with the 70–300 DX Ap-F.  For still birding, nothing beats my J5 with the 500 PF on a gimbal.

steve

Steve's gear list:Steve's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 J4 +19 more
cyuill2007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,320
Campbell River, Quadra Island-BC Canada (No Birds!)

Thank you to Holgerlinke for starting this thread.

Here are a couple of my most-recent Nikon 1 photos taken that are not about birds. Not masterpieces, but snaps of what I saw on a short trip to an island I had never been on before.

Both were taken with my V2 and old 10-30mm kit lens with VR that no longer seems to function. I got a sharp copy of that lens.

View from the Campbell River ferry terminal overlooking a marina and Quadra Island in the background.

A small farm on Quadra Island that I came across while driving throughout Quadra Island.

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 455
The stair in the Vatican museum

From a recent trip to Italy - the small, unobstrusive equipment was key in the crowded areas; it consisted of the J5 with the 6.7~13 and 10~100 non-PD zooms, and the Fuji X100F for low-light shooting.

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
Cubits Regular Member • Posts: 174
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - November 2019

Spring has sprung, and the tiny coriander flowers are being pollinated by these hardworking little guys.

sillycornlotty
sillycornlotty Regular Member • Posts: 213
Crowded pedestrian overpass in the evening

Crowded overpass with people rushing back home.

sillycornlotty's gear list:sillycornlotty's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 +7 more
knoxphoto Regular Member • Posts: 212

Citronella with the V3, FT1 & 60mm F2.8G.

André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,293
Re: The stair in the Vatican museum

Great one, Holger. The J5 + 6.7-13 is a killer combo when travelling.

BTW, I visited the Vatican many years ago, and I don't remember that stair. Time to go back...

Thank you for keeping these threads alive.

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,293
Re: Crowded pedestrian overpass in the evening

Nice shot (albeit a bit small) Well done. Where is it?

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290

Great picture - reminds me of a snail shell.  I echo the usefulness if the J5, particularly with the 6.7-13 - very good for interiors or out of bright sunlight.

Richard

ColdEd Regular Member • Posts: 269
Paulina Falls, Newberry National Volcanic Monument, "stacked" time exposure

I wanted a time exposure like photo of the falls but did not have a neutral density filter or tripod. Instead, I shot a 60 exposure burst using the 60 fps mode at 1/640 sec per exposure. The RAW images were processed in Capture One, and then combined in a "stack" of 60 images using Affinity Photo to create the time exposure effect of a 60/640 or about 1/10th of a second.

This photo was taken today, November 9.

Paulina Falls, Newberry National Volcanic Monument, Central Oregon . Nikon 1 V3, 1 Nikkor 6.7-13mm lens.

ColdEd's gear list:ColdEd's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
iserp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Triglav National Park

I went to on a trip to Slovenia, and went on hike near the Triglav, throught the Mostnica Gorge. The day was cloudy, but the forest had nice colors.

fafitz Contributing Member • Posts: 561
Sunset

The sky from our back deck just after sunset this evening.

Southern California sunset

-- hide signature --

Frank
D300; N1 V1; S1 IS

fafitz's gear list:fafitz's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +6 more
D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 5,399

Incredible image  Well done!

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Hazeltown

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828
D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 5,399
Re: Campbell River, Quadra Island-BC Canada (No Birds!)

Beautiful

I was Island born in BC  A Navy brat  Left at 11 months

Theres so much I want to see there!

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Hazeltown

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828

I was so close with the 30-110 at full magnification, and snapped this right before he jumped onto the lens.

The big round diffuser gives a pretty good reflection on the eyes, like a cartoon character.

A friend just handed me a box of “old” Nikon stuff they had lying around. Their son was briefly into it, but apparently spent big because damn!

The rear cap was on that 105 macro, i just unmounted it from my V2 for the photo.

So i scored an AFS 105 macro 2.8, which is quite a lump of lens when mounted on an FT1! From what I’ve seen so far, there isn’t a huge gain in picture quality over the venerable 30-110 with extension tubes, and it is SIGNIFICANTLY harder to use one-handed! It does work from infinity to 1:1 which is nice, but it’s big!

I also scored a 1.7x teleconverter, but that doesn’t work with my 70-300 due to an odd clearance design. I might find a use for it. I also scored up a SB700 and SB800, which gives me a few more options for remote flashes on top of what i have.

Some moss waiting for rain, nestled in the mortar between two bricks.

If i pick up a magic arm to hold my big flash i can use the camera two-handed which will help out a lot with holding this lens. The larger working distance is a nice improvement over the 30-110, and the glass should produce better contrast.

Edit: Oh my god, i just threw the extension tubes on the 105 and it's ridiculous! I'll have to measure the magnification ratio tomorrow when i have more light, but it's amazing.

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,790
Some shots the last few days!

Living for the time being in a hot climate makes the local birds very different from old cold Sweden, where I normally live.

Here are some from the last few days:

A zebra dove, a tiny bird fairly usual around here!

This is a Paddy-field Pipit, who seems to prefer the grass lawns.

Same lawn, where you'll see hoopoes if you're lucky!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,790
As green as they get!

Green bee-eaters are quite common around here, but getting this close is unusual!

No crop! Slightly adjusted exposure, do to heavily overcast weather here this morning.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads