Tamron 35mm F2.8 Di III OSD First Look Samples

Started 3 months ago | User reviews
PhotoW Regular Member • Posts: 100
Tamron 35mm F2.8 Di III OSD First Look Samples

Just had the opportunity to test out the new 35mm while at PhotoPlus. Thank you Tamron for allowing me to test the lens and even take it to a different booth for testing.

In short, it's a great lens, and much of the complaints about size have been blown out of proportion. Yes, it's bigger than some other options at this aperture, but this was done for a specific reason according to one of the people involved in the engineering process, as I'll explain further on.

Unedited, no profile corrections applied (except for in-body corrections, but not sure if those were actually applied).

The 20, 24, and 35 all share the same body, motor, and maybe some elements (I'm not sure if I misunderstood him on the last one) in order to keep the cost down. The lens is incredibly light, and it barely feels like there's anything mounted to my camera. While there are definitely smaller and lighter options, there's really no reason to complain about the size and wait of the lens.

Tamron profile applied in Lightroom. Works surprisingly well even though it's for the 35 1.8.

When I threw the images into Lightroom, it registered as the 35mm 2.8, but the lens profile was set to "Built-In." I'm not sure if this was my mistake or whether this was due to the lack of profile in Lightroom for this lens, but the Tamron 35mm 1.8 profile worked surprisingly well for this lens.

Edited.

The lens includes a very strange shaped lens hood with a square cutout in the center. I asked why this was and was told it was meant to actually hold a second 67mm filter! They also explained that part of the design included minimizing vignetting from filters, hence the larger filter thread than necessary. I'm not sure how well this was pulled off, though, because my first picture shows just a little vignetting at the corners.

Unedited, no corrections.

I was able to test the close focusing distance and autofocus performance. I wasn't that impressed with the "macro" capabilities. I had my Tamron 28-75 with me and was able to test them one after another (didn't take pictures of that, sorry!) and didn't notice any major differences. It focuses just a little closer, but not by much. I asked Tamron about this, but they claim the 28-75 suffers from focus breathing and that the new 35 doesn't. Once again, though, I didn't notice much of a difference.

Unedited, same Tamron profile applied.

The AF was very good and snappy. The puppy wasn't sitting still by any means, but I was able to use Animal Eye-AF and catch this moment. While the AF is fast, you could definitely feel the motor moving around in the lens, even more than that of the 28-75. Could just be the noise at the convention canceled it out, but I couldn't hear any noise from the motor. Maybe the camera's mic would pic up on it in video, but it's not significant in any way.

Edited.

One thing I noticed though was the difference in color. The out of focus highlights on the 28-75 had a prominent green tint while this 35's shadows were more of a neutral grey. +1 for better color rendition. Zooming into the eye, this lens is incredibly sharp.

I asked the Tamron representatives why they opted for an F2.8 versus an F2 or 2.2. They answered that changing the aperture would prevent them from using the same body size for all the lenses. They also felt that making these "macro" lenses was incredibly important (maybe to differentiate them from the other offerings from competitors), so changing the aperture would add more glass, more weight, and would change the body size. All of this would raise the price on these lenses, and they want to be incredibly competitive with pricing.

I'm impressed with this lens. I went into the shoot expecting to hate it for the same reasons everyone else does, for being bigger than necessary and not as fast as it should have been. However, I enjoyed using this. I don't own a 35mm, and, as a portrait photographer, I tend to use my 85 for everything. However, this opened my eyes to what a 35 could do. I'm going to try using my 28-75 at 35mm for my next few shoots to see if I can get used to that focal length, but, if I do, maybe I'll consider this lens.

PhotoW's gear list:PhotoW's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +1 more
Tamron 35mm F2.8 Di III OSD M1:2
Wideangle macro prime lens • Sony FE • F053
Announced: Oct 23, 2019
PhotoW's score
Average community score
Kharan
Kharan Senior Member • Posts: 1,896
Re: Tamron 35mm F2.8 Di III OSD First Look Samples

Thank you for the samples, the lens looks definitely sharp and with pleasing bokeh. If the 20mm performs just as well, it’ll definitely be a big hit!

-- hide signature --

"Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life
In the available light" - Rush, 'Available Light'

Kharan's gear list:Kharan's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7R II +19 more
rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,138

very nice looking pix... thanks for posting!

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Photofrankenstein Junior Member • Posts: 28

Fantastic write up!  Detailed and thoughtful approach.

The lens is fine. I mean, no surprise it is sharp and not too slow to focus, not too noisy while focusing. It is priced well, built well. Inspiring? No. Ground breaking? No. Filling a gap? No. It is an added offering in a crowded market. Sony Zeiss has a 35mmf2.8, Samyang has a 35mm f2.8, numerous f2 f1.8 f1.4 f1.2 options including adapted lenses, even more if manual options count. For most people though, Sony FE 35F1.8 is probably the best all rounder.

Pictures shooter
Pictures shooter Regular Member • Posts: 139

Here is not so much useful information.

I would love to find some detailed review to hear the answers to the following questions:

What about
1. IQ in the far-field? This exceptionally important for landscapes shooting.
2. Autofocus inaccuracy, separately in the close and far-field-zone?
3. Field curvature?
4. Chromatic aberrations and bluish/reddish/greenish... fringing?
5. Non-uniformity of resolution?
6. Distortion?
7. Vignetting?
8. Comparing with Sony Zeiss 35/2.8 and Samyang 35/2.8?
9. Rendering at an out-focused zone?

Pictures shooter's gear list:Pictures shooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +11 more
OP PhotoW Regular Member • Posts: 100

Pictures shooter wrote:

Here is not so much useful information.

I would love to find some detailed review to hear the answers to the following questions:

What about
1. IQ in the far-field? This exceptionally important for landscapes shooting.
2. Autofocus inaccuracy, separately in the close and far-field-zone?
3. Field curvature?
4. Chromatic aberrations and bluish/reddish/greenish... fringing?
5. Non-uniformity of resolution?
6. Distortion?
7. Vignetting?
8. Comparing with Sony Zeiss 35/2.8 and Samyang 35/2.8?
9. Rendering at an out-focused zone?

I don't believe you're the target audience for this lens. This review wasn't meant to be scientific, just practical.

You're more than welcome to pixel peep these samples. Some of your questions were answered above, I recommend taking another look before discounting what I had to say, especially since many of your questions were answered in the text or by observing the photos.

Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +1 more
Pictures shooter
Pictures shooter Regular Member • Posts: 139

I had no intentions discounting what you had to say at all, of course.

My apologies I'm sorry if you feel my post isn't being fair to your review.

IMO your review is valuable for photographers who would like to shoot scenes in the close field.
But indeed, let's try to be honest, IMO, it's unlikely your post may noticeably help a potential buyer like me who would like to use the lens mainly for high-quality landscape-shooting but not sure if the lens' IQ is good for this.

My target is to see some link for a review that is able to answer my foolish scientific questions. And most like you're right my comment here is not so appropriate.

Pictures shooter's gear list:Pictures shooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +11 more
Tony Adcock New Member • Posts: 2

Mine arrived Friday and I mounted it and went to dinner. I am impressed with the focus accuracy and the close focus ability. It appears to be sharp in the center. I have not had a chance to shoot a scene to check the corners. The out of focus areas seem pleasing. Planning a few dats in Atlanta and I may get crazy and take this one lens only.

Tony Adcock's gear list:Tony Adcock's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-PL8 Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +6 more
OP PhotoW Regular Member • Posts: 100

Nice!

I'm really wondering how it would work for ring shots, never had the opportunity to test that at PPE.

Tim Devine
Tim Devine Senior Member • Posts: 1,306

You probably should have started a new thread then.   The OP had just a little time to play with one at a photo show, he wouldn't have been able to deliver what you're looking for.  Normally you can't even leave the booth.

Why not start a new thread for soliciting review links?

-Tm

Pictures shooter wrote:

I had no intentions discounting what you had to say at all, of course.

My apologies I'm sorry if you feel my post isn't being fair to your review.

IMO your review is valuable for photographers who would like to shoot scenes in the close field.
But indeed, let's try to be honest, IMO, it's unlikely your post may noticeably help a potential buyer like me who would like to use the lens mainly for high-quality landscape-shooting but not sure if the lens' IQ is good for this.

My target is to see some link for a review that is able to answer my foolish scientific questions. And most like you're right my comment here is not so appropriate.

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Sony a7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill Ricoh GR II +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads