Sponsored Content

Started Oct 28, 2019 | Discussions
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 8,570
Sponsored Content

I do not approve of this “sponsored content.”. It calls your editorial neutrality and objectivity into question: Is Sony paying for the Sony camera reviews?

This was always the fear we had when DPReview was sold to Amazon, and it is troublesome. You gave a Sony camera a 91 score while simultaneously placing a “Sponsored Content” ad for their flagship camera. This practice lacks integrity.

I don’t want to call DPReview’s integrity into question, but really, it’s DPReview that’s calling their own integrity into question with this practice.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +3 more
Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 9,592
Re: Sponsored Content

Nobody is compelling you to use the site if you don't like it!

Personally, I take all reviews with a pinch of salt and always look at as many as I can before choosing what to buy.

MarshallG
OP MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 8,570

Tom Axford wrote:

Nobody is compelling you to use the site if you don't like it!

Personally, I take all reviews with a pinch of salt and always look at as many as I can before choosing what to buy.

What’s the purpose of having a “Site Feedback Forum” then?

Why not just have the camera makers write the reviews? It’s like Boeing testing their own airplanes. What could possibly go wrong?

Either DPReview wants the feedback or not...

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +3 more
see level
see level New Member • Posts: 22

MarshallG wrote:

What’s the purpose of having a “Site Feedback Forum” then?

. . .

Placation, primarily.  Probably. 

Even so, I'm glad there is a feedback forum and I salute those who take the time to contribute to try to make DPR better.

Thank you for speaking up, MarshallG.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,738

They take advertising dollars for static site ads. No difference with advertising articles.  This site pays for itself by ads. So unless you, and everyone else, is willing to pay $50 a month to view this site, I don’t think you have a leg to stand on.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads