Which camera body and lens that you dont own would you most like to try out ?

Started Oct 28, 2019 | Discussions
Sony Influencer Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Which camera body and lens that you dont own would you most like to try out ?

Canon 50mm f/0,95

Sony Influencer's gear list:Sony Influencer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +9 more
BarrieS
BarrieS Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: Which camera body and lens that you dont own would you most like to try out ?

Hasselblad X1D II 50C, Hasselblad XCD 45mm f/3.5 Lens

BarrieS's gear list:BarrieS's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7R III Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
dinoSnake Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482

Fuji GFX100

Bronica GS-1

Rolleiflex SL3003

Pentax 645D

jayrandomer
jayrandomer Senior Member • Posts: 1,052
The Hubble Telescope

A few different choices in college and I probably could have been using it...

If I had infinite time and film, I'd like to play around with a view camera.  Maybe I can figure out to how make a view camera out of my old scanner (when I have all that infinite time).

jayrandomer's gear list:jayrandomer's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 8,325

The medium format stuff mentioned, sure. I also have zero hands on experience with any Zeiss or Leica lenses for my format, and I would love to try them on my existing mounts to see if they are worth dreaming about.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon Z7 +19 more
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,928
Phase One

The camera body answer is easy, a recent-production Phase One. (It has bee a while since I read about these, so I cannot quote an exact model.) I would have to do some homework on which lens to choose. At a cost of tens of thousands of dollars, I have no realistic hope of ever being able to justify buying such a system, and even the price of a month’s rental would be daunting.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +56 more
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,026
Re: Phase One

Rexgig0 wrote:

The camera body answer is easy, a recent-production Phase One. (It has bee a while since I read about these, so I cannot quote an exact model.) I would have to do some homework on which lens to choose. At a cost of tens of thousands of dollars, I have no realistic hope of ever being able to justify buying such a system, and even the price of a month’s rental would be daunting.

I also said Phase One (without winning a lottery I' ll never be able to buy this). You have an impressive gear list. What would that all be worth? Probably a right step in the direction of a Phase One?

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,397

Phase One IQ4 with Schneider 50mm f/2.8

n3eg
n3eg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,217

TRIODEROB wrote:

Which combo of (1) camera body and (1) lens from a system you don't own- would you most like to use at no cost for one month ?

The new Sony 61 MP camera with whatever the best lens is in the 70-135mm range.

No, you don't get to keep it - it's like a free rental.

Wouldn't want to anyway.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro 14n Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Olympus E-M5 III +70 more
marcio_napoli Senior Member • Posts: 1,636
You can get the DMF experience "cheaply"

Hi,

I've seen DMF being mentioned quite a few times. "Recent" DMF that is.

I'll be honest here, I'm probably wasting time suggesting this, as DPR users are usually obsessed with sensor performance rather than the actual shooting experience.

But for those willing to consider this advice, I seriously suggest to take a look at older DMF.

Sensor performance from those old, super selective CFA, CCDs is downright amazing.

It really, really is.

But I won't try to convince you about that.

Let's not waste energy focusing on sensor DR bla bla bla, at least not for now.

The shooting experience itself you get is reason enough to own these monsters.

The VF size, the shutter sound, the feeling of owning a "muscle car" of the camera world, the whole experience is massively satisfying.

A Hasselblad like the H3d-II 31 is not really that expensive anymore, and satisfies all your DMF needs for those not obsessed with 15 stops of DR.

Here's a shooting of mine back in 2012.

You can assume I'm having a blast from my smiles alone.

https://youtu.be/2eiVpQAghYc

You want to go out of the boring mainstream and experience something entirely else without selling the house?

Try these out.

If you're a "good" light shooter, you'll never look back.

Best regards,
Marcio Napoli

supersargas Regular Member • Posts: 445

fuchsia sony nex f3 with that state of the art 16 50 pz. i would use it to stomp karl taylors work to ashes

mandm Contributing Member • Posts: 940
Pentax 67; wide range of lenses
-- hide signature --

mandmp; 100% of my income since 1972 has been due to a camera in my hand. My hobby turned into an enjoyable & profitable career. Retired in 2008ish I now shoot for fun and for charities (for free).

mandm's gear list:mandm's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,928
Re: Phase One

mujana wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

I also said Phase One (without winning a lottery I' ll never be able to buy this). You have an impressive gear list. What would that all be worth? Probably a right step in the direction of a Phase One?

Well, I bought most of it pre-owned, with some of the cameras being two or three generations old when I bought them, and worth less than nothing, now, unless I were to donate them to a beginner. My Canon 1Ds III, cost $8K US when I first lusted for one, in 2009, but I paid only $888 US when I actually bought one, in 2018. My pair of 1D Mark II N cameras have no real value, as nobody wants to care for, and feed, the heavy, bulky Ni-Cad batteries.

But, yes, all of it, together, would add up.

I could, if necessary, buy a Phase One system, by raiding my retirement savings, but it would not suit most of my shooting. It would, however, be sweet to pretend to be a portrait artist, for thirty days, using a Phase One camera and lens.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +56 more
mandm Contributing Member • Posts: 940

8x10 negatives are spectacular when done right and it's worth the time and expense. I do shoot a lot more 4x5 as I've aged to cut down on the weight of the equipment I need to haul and set up.

I shoot with a guy who shoots purchased dry glass plates and makes his own on site wet glass plates, yes, he wears the 1850ish outfit and gets lots of people to watch.

-- hide signature --

mandmp; 100% of my income since 1972 has been due to a camera in my hand. My hobby turned into an enjoyable & profitable career. Retired in 2008ish I now shoot for fun and for charities (for free).

mandm's gear list:mandm's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 18,345

One of the new Panasonic L-mount mirrorless.

alwaysoutofstep

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
Sara Valentine Contributing Member • Posts: 956
Phase One IQ4 system

Phase One IQ4 Achromatic w/ 40-80mm LS f/4.0-5.6

Raymond Cho Senior Member • Posts: 2,143

Phase One IQ4 and that more portable unit that got annouced recently which takes the IQ4 back.  With a 80mm ish lens and perhaps a 50mm ish.

And, a Fuji GX617 panorama film camera.  With just the standard 105mm ish lens.

Raymond Cho's gear list:Raymond Cho's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D70 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +13 more
dinoSnake Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482

KCook wrote:

One of the new Panasonic L-mount mirrorless.

I've handled it at the shop.  What a beast   Apparently someone at Panasonic doesn't have any sense of sizing.

Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,376
I'm not a fan of the Atomic Mirror Slap ;)

(hence the rangefinder)

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength."

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +29 more
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,376
Re: Mamiya 7

absquatulate wrote:

Smaug01 wrote:

...and whatever equates to a 35 mm lens in 35 mm film.

I'd like to try it, experience the image quality, make a couple big prints, but not be in to tune of a nice used car.

There's plenty of medium format gear that'll do what it does, and better, just not as small. The Fuji GW690 will give you a 6x9 negative in 35mm equivalent focal length, it's definitely a hell of a lot cheaper and the lens on it is pretty amazing.

I thought about this, but I prefer 6x7 aspect ratio. 6x9 is good for landscapes, but would be awkward for most portrait format shots. I could crop, but it will waste film.

Who am I kidding though? I'm not getting back into medium format film. I'm only set to scan 35 mm and I won't print big enough for it to matter.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength."

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads