Orion 135mm Widefield

Started Oct 27, 2019 | Photos
DMcGarvey
DMcGarvey Regular Member • Posts: 256
Orion 135mm Widefield

A fairly wide view of central Orion shot with a Nikon D750 + Rokinon 135mm f/2 lens at f/2 and ISO 1600. 22 x 180" exposures. Shot in the pre-dawn hours of 10/24/19 from my home in rural central Pennsylvania, USA under Bortle class 4 skies. Many of Orion's well-known nebulae are captured including a lot of the surrounding dust.

M42 is blown out...I should have captured a few shorter exposures to blend in.  Oh well - next time.

Clear skies everyone!

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Brueghel
Brueghel Contributing Member • Posts: 984
Re: Orion 135mm Widefield

very nice !

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
DMcGarvey
OP DMcGarvey Regular Member • Posts: 256

Brueghel wrote:

very nice !

Thanks!

chris gunn
chris gunn Veteran Member • Posts: 9,363

Interesting to see this lens used at f/2!

-- hide signature --

cheers!
Gunn
-- Get a big lens and get closer™.

chris gunn's gear list:chris gunn's gear list
Pentax K-1 II
Brueghel
Brueghel Contributing Member • Posts: 984

DMcGarvey wrote:

Brueghel wrote:

very nice !

Thanks!

Dont forget the short exposures next time

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
DMcGarvey

Brueghel wrote:

DMcGarvey wrote:

Brueghel wrote:

very nice !

Thanks!

Dont forget the short exposures next time

Yes indeed!

DMcGarvey

chris gunn wrote:

Interesting to see this lens used at f/2!

Yes, it's a pretty decent performer wide open.  I've heard that bad copies exist that have bad aberrations wide open, so I guess I must have a good copy.

Polacofede Senior Member • Posts: 1,334

DMcGarvey wrote:

A fairly wide view of central Orion shot with a Nikon D750 + Rokinon 135mm f/2 lens at f/2 and ISO 1600. 22 x 180" exposures. Shot in the pre-dawn hours of 10/24/19 from my home in rural central Pennsylvania, USA under Bortle class 4 skies. Many of Orion's well-known nebulae are captured including a lot of the surrounding dust.

M42 is blown out...I should have captured a few shorter exposures to blend in. Oh well - next time.

Clear skies everyone!

fantastic! maybe if you could fix orion core would be even better?

-- hide signature --
 Polacofede's gear list:Polacofede's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +6 more
DMcGarvey

Polacofede wrote:

DMcGarvey wrote:

M42 is blown out...I should have captured a few shorter exposures to blend in. Oh well - next time.

Clear skies everyone!

fantastic! maybe if you could fix orion core would be even better?

Thanks!  I should have shot some shorter exposures and mixed them in to capture the core but unfortunately I forgot.  Sadly I don't think I can do much about it now.

BlackgumNate Contributing Member • Posts: 634

Nice work sir. Good to see this area again.

Nate

DMcGarvey

BlackgumNate wrote:

Nice work sir. Good to see this area again.

Nate

Thanks a lot Nate!

Michael S.
Michael S. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,399

Good Evening!
Fine Orion widefield...no problem with the blown out core, maybe a bit to contrasty overall.

best regards,

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
(check equipment via profile)

Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Leica SL2 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon D810A Leica M10-P +7 more
DMcGarvey

Michael S. wrote:

Good Evening!
Fine Orion widefield...no problem with the blown out core, maybe a bit to contrasty overall.

best regards,

Thanks Michael.

nick lamendola Regular Member • Posts: 261

That's a lovely image.  Nice work, well done!

-Nick

DMcGarvey

nick lamendola wrote:

That's a lovely image. Nice work, well done!

-Nick

Thank you very much Nick!

GundamRX91
GundamRX91 Regular Member • Posts: 120

Wonderful shot!!

-- hide signature --
 GundamRX91's gear list:GundamRX91's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony 300mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 7,051

DMcGarvey wrote:

Clear skies everyone!

I love the details- is the light pollution there similar to what you can find in the Poconos, a county north of Allentown? I am going there and want to see if it's better than what I have on western Long Island, just east of NYC!

Also, what's the right focal length lens to use to include Betelgeuse and Sirius in the same FOV?  And what about just for the entire constellation of Orion?  Thanks!

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
DMcGarvey

GundamRX91 wrote:

Wonderful shot!!

Thanks a lot!

Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,861

Very nice - congrats.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon EOS Ra +1 more
RudyPohl
RudyPohl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,893

Wonderful and dramatic widefield image David, I'm always amazed at what you're doing with a stock camera, old lens and the modest Astrotrac! Great work!

Cheers,
Rudy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads