It's official : CFexpress is the future

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Tomx72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,533
Re: Now what we Nikon shooters need

Demand on the ILC market has been and likely to stay in deep red for years.

Tomx72's gear list:Tomx72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon Z6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
OP MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,533

Tim S wrote:

So you believe competition reduces prices

Yes for instance XQD card prices went up significantly as soon as Lexar dropped from the market leaving Sony with a monopoly.

Camera competition is intense as ever, have our camera's become cheaper?

Yes rebates have been more frequent, have lasted longer and are bigger these days than they have ever been. And it's going to increase with the market contraction.

Lenses?

Same

You see competition doesn't reduce prices.

There are so many examples to prove the contrary, I would not know where to start

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,490
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

Still waiting for the promised upgrade (D850) to CFexpress of Nikon.

Michel

Tim S Contributing Member • Posts: 790

TOF guy wrote:

Tim S wrote:

So you believe competition reduces prices

Yes for instance XQD card prices went up significantly as soon as Lexar dropped from the market leaving Sony with a monopoly.

No. Delkin XQD cards are about and the prices are still higher than when I first got my XQD 128GB 2933 lexar for £135.

Camera competition is intense as ever, have our camera's become cheaper?

Yes rebates have been more frequent, have lasted longer and are bigger these days than they have ever been. And it's going to increase with the market contraction.

So what. The cameras come out at very high prices, I got my D3 new for £3K now D5 is £5K

Lenses?

Same

Same my 300mm F/2.8 VR cost £3K now its at £5K

You see competition doesn't reduce prices.

There are so many examples to prove the contrary, I would not know where to start

So sorry you've kidding yourself, open your eyes my friend.

-- hide signature --

Tim Munsey
www.wildphotolife.co.uk

Tim S's gear list:Tim S's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850

Is Delkin producing its own xqd cards or just rebranding/licensing Sony?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon Z6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Tim S Contributing Member • Posts: 790

Will Sony drop its price to match sigma? Or will it not bother, it knows people buy who other reasons than cost:-

https://petapixel.com/2019/11/15/sigmas-24-70mm-f-2-8-art-lens-for-e-mount-is-half-the-price-of-sonys-version/

-- hide signature --

Tim Munsey
www.wildphotolife.co.uk

Tim S's gear list:Tim S's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850

Unlikely, because in the lens business, Zony has a higher reputation.

Regarding cards, I'd take a Sandisk card before a Sony any day.

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 18,709

Tim S wrote:

So you believe competition reduces prices I think this is wishful thinking. I checked rail fares in the UK since privatisation they have gone up 200%,

Perhaps off topic - and perhaps even a little political.

I use the railways a lot - and find the trains a lot better to travel on, faster and more reliable - and there is inflation to consider.

Back in 1999 I bought a new F5 for £1,345.

No-one is like to argue the D5 is a not better camera - costing about 350% more.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +26 more

That's partially the Pound's doing too: GBPUSD in 1999: 1.62, GBPUSD in 2019: 1.25. The rest is worldwide inflation and the fact that a digital camera is more complex than a film one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads